Question on a rule change

MCHS_Dad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something we should also consider is the physics of each game.

Baseball is thrown over the shoulder which forces the ball down.

Fastpitch is thrown under the shoulder which creates a better chance for the ball to rise. This can cause the ball to come off the top half of the bat then into the face of the batter.

Just a thought.

I think something we should also consider is the physics of each game.

Baseball is thrown over the shoulder which forces the ball down.

Fastpitch is thrown under the shoulder which creates a better chance for the ball to rise. This can cause the ball to come off the top half of the bat then into the face of the batter.

Just a thought.

Baseball hits as many or more foul balls than softball. I don't have those facts handy but I'll find them. Baseball has a more UPSWING since the ball is coming down. They are taught to take the bat into the same plane as the ball travels..... :D

It's just a risk you take in playing the game. There are risks in EVERY sport, yet do we see soccer players running around in full body armor? I think not. What about football players? How many broken ancles, legs, and arms come from participating in football?

It's just part of it. I can understand having the masks when kids are in youth leagues...like Little League. But in high school?

I suppose this is much like when they banned metal cleats from high school softball. Is it that female athletes are considered to be too immature (athletically) to handle such things? I just don't see how TSSAA officials can justify changing these rules in softball alone.

Edited by hard_ball1

I guess I'm a little torn on the subject.

Marion was playing Tyner last year when a batter from Tyner fouled a ball off and it hit her square in the face. She was taken to the hospital immediately but I never heard if anything was broken.

On one hand I think the masks will prevent injuries and on the other what's next, full body armor. There are risks with any sport.

I don't think it's fair to make the girls wear masks it they're not going to make the boys do the same. But if they have instituted the rule, the girls have no choice but to wear the masks.

I am a coach and I played college softball. Softball players are more likely to be hit in the face when they slap a ball because they expose their faces toward the pitch. That is the only time I have ever seen a player hit in the face. The only other time it is a risk is when a batter is bunting. I hate the things but I think it is a good safety precaution, all sports have safety precautions or there would be a lot more injuries seen. These are just kids and most of them are not going to be doing this the rest of their lives, why hurt them at this young age and make them live with that injury for the rest of their lives. If you are a parent you should be thankful that the TSSAA is working toward the protection of their kids. I know none of you would like to see your child have to have extensive plastic surgery because they got hit with a foul ball when it could have been prevented. That is what happens when hitters take foul balls off their face trust me I have seen it.

what about neck injuries with head first slides? ERA didnt a lot of riverdale girls where the mask last year?

I have never heard of a neck injury from head first slide, wrist and finger injuries occur alot. But if you don't know how to head first slide you don't have to, you have control of that, batters don't have control of where a ball goes off their bat or out of the pitchers hand.

The new rule is in place for most organizations as well as the TSSAA...The reason for this ruling has nothing to do with girls being girls and being felt sorry for by the TSSAA or any other organization that requires the face mask as talked about by several other readers. The fact from the engineering standpoint is all because of the design of the bat and specifically the barrel design bats. If you will take a look at any high performance barrel design bat you will notice the angle of the aluminum from the handle transitioning into the barrel, no smooth transition like a baseball bat or most end loaded softball bats. This angle causes a higher number of deflected foul tips into the head region, not just the face, but the face is the only unprotected area on the head when batting. Thus more injuries to the face and throat from balls that are not hit on the barrel as designed and deflected back towards the face. If you have spent any time in this game you have seen it happen probably more than once, it is not a pretty sight. It is never as bad until it happens to one of your players or kids. The most complaining you here is from the kids, especially seniors. Our complete competitive summer program started mandatory wearing of the face masks about five years ago and we have not had a single facial injury due to this problem since we began. Most players we have found actually like them on, once the face masks are on for a few days. It also helps with the younger kids confidence.......Thanks. ;)