Demarini Baseball Bat

item-wi05-Vexxum-adbsb.jpg

Easton Stealth Baseball Bat

item-ea05-bst4.jpg

Louisville Slugger Tomahawk Baseball Bat

item-ls06-sl306.jpg

Louisville Slugge TPX Dynasty Baseball Bat

item-ls06-tb106.jpg

I've heard this reasoning before. Specifically, the bottle bats were the ones brought into debate but, sorry, it does not hold water. There's just as many high performance bats in softall that don't have acute angle reflection as baseball. As you can see, baseball has as many troubled bats WITH that disorder just in this example alone. This is nothing but a facade covering the real issue. Girls are not governed the same as boys. :D

Defense Rests

Denny Crane :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been coaching fastpitch for 10 years.

5 as a high school coach.

The year before my first high school season, I saw three face injuries to girls playing on high school teams.

One girl was hit in the face by a throw wide of first base in a close play.

result: broken nose, alot of blood, and a two week black eye.

One girl fouled a bunt attempt back into her own face.

result: cracked cheek bone, horrible swelling and bruise, missed three weeks.

One girl was hit in the face with a high inside fastball.

result; she was knocked out, no broken bones, bad swelling and bruising.

All three of these young ladies were cute girls who loved the game and worked hard on their skills to become good players. None of them were wearing a mask.

Any parent who sees a young girl injured in the face and does not realize safety is first needs to re-think their priorities concerning sports.

My next season of coaching, I encouraged all of my summer team girls to wear a facemask.

It became manditory for all CAK players to wear masks. The only exception from masks were the daughters of doctors on my team who signed a release saying their kid did not have to wear a mask. ( one kid )

During my five years of high school coaching, we have had at least 10 balls hit a girls in the mask. NO injuries.

When parents and coaches put winning and possible higher batting averages above safety, I think it is wrong. The safety classes we go through should tell us to keep the kids health as # 1, at all costs.

For all of you coaches who are against masks, fine.

CAK has worn masks for 5 years and I am thankful for the new rule.

safety first.

sjones

ERA those bats you posted are you sure they aare -3 bats with a besr label on it because i dont think any of those bats are legal high school baseball bats trust me i look at a lot of them when i hit the feild.

As far as head first slide that is whyit is illegal in most youth sports because of the neck injuires the facemask caused when a kid went into the bag and his or her head hit the dirt instead of holding their head up and it jamms thier neck

I've been coaching fastpitch for 10 years.

5 as a high school coach.

The year before my first high school season, I saw three face injuries to girls playing on high school teams.

One girl was hit in the face by a throw wide of first base in a close play.

result: broken nose, alot of blood, and a two week black eye.

One girl fouled a bunt attempt back into her own face.

result: cracked cheek bone, horrible swelling and bruise, missed three weeks.

One girl was hit in the face with a high inside fastball.

result; she was knocked out, no broken bones, bad swelling and bruising.

All three of these young ladies were cute girls who loved the game and worked hard on their skills to become good players. None of them were wearing a mask.

Any parent who sees a young girl injured in the face and does not realize safety is first needs to re-think their priorities concerning sports.

My next season of coaching, I encouraged all of my summer team girls to wear a facemask.

It became manditory for all CAK players to wear masks. The only exception from masks were the daughters of doctors on my team who signed a release saying their kid did not have to wear a mask. ( one kid )

During my five years of high school coaching, we have had at least 10 balls hit a girls in the mask. NO injuries.

When parents and coaches put winning and possible higher batting averages above safety, I think it is wrong. The safety classes we go through should tell us to keep the kids health as # 1, at all costs.

For all of you coaches who are against masks, fine.

CAK has worn masks for 5 years and I am thankful for the new rule.

safety first.

sjones

You know Cak, you don't get the gist of the thread. Nobody is saying not to be safe. Again, I will repeat myself, just make it for the boys too. I hope that's not too hard to understand. This ruling is full of #$&!!@#!!! I hope the girls file a lawsuit for descrimination, plain and simple because they ARE being descriminated against........DOUBLE STANDARD...PLAIN AND SIMPLE! :D

Well Defense, most of the bats you have shown are end loaded and semi end loaded bats. The bottle bats as you describe have been the foundation for the aluminum bat in fastpitch softball for years and are the main reason for the cause of injury. If you want to take in baseball bats, please check the length of the handle to the loaded area. Most are 3 to 4 inches longer in length at this critical point thus casuing less angle deflection at the critical point.. To your point, the newer softball bats of the last couple of seasons, of which most you show are end loaded by weight or semi end loaded by weight, thus fit into the category with little angle deflection problems. The older and stronger the girls get, the easier it is for them to swing an end or semi end loaded bat, but for the younger girls and a lot of the older ones too, they just can not generate enough bat speed to solidly hit a end loaded bat.

I am certainly not saying that the girls are always treated the same by any organization high school or amateur, but the bottle bats are still manufactured by the thousands and still cause a lot of injury by pure design, which most girls still hit with today.

I have two daughters myself and the face mask rule is the best thing for them, look at all the college players that have them on. I don't understand the problem with protecting a kid, boy or girl. I am only giving the reasons for which softball poses different safety threats due to equipment differences.

Obviously by your number of posts you frequent softball games and have product knowledge, but the inequity of treatment for boys and girls is a whole different issue and should not be confused by the face mask issue....

Well Defense, most of the bats you have shown are end loaded and semi end loaded bats. The bottle bats as you describe have been the foundation for the aluminum bat in fastpitch softball for years and are the main reason for the cause of injury. If you want to take in baseball bats, please check the length of the handle to the loaded area. Most are 3 to 4 inches longer in length at this critical point thus casuing less angle deflection at the critical point.. To your point, the newer softball bats of the last couple of seasons, of which most you show are end loaded by weight or semi end loaded by weight, thus fit into the category with little angle deflection problems. The older and stronger the girls get, the easier it is for them to swing an end or semi end loaded bat, but for the younger girls and a lot of the older ones too, they just can not generate enough bat speed to solidly hit a end loaded bat.

I am certainly not saying that the girls are always treated the same by any organization high school or amateur, but the bottle bats are still manufactured by the thousands and still cause a lot of injury by pure design, which most girls still hit with today.

I have two daughters myself and the face mask rule is the best thing for them, look at all the college players that have them on. I don't understand the problem with protecting a kid, boy or girl. I am only giving the reasons for which softball poses different safety threats due to equipment differences.

Obviously by your number of posts you frequent softball games and have product knowledge, but the inequity of treatment for boys and girls is a whole different issue and should not be confused by the face mask issue....

Your point is taken about the length difference BUT, you knew there would be a but didn't you?, in the boys game, the reaction time to the pitch is several milliseconds longer than the girls. Left field tends to be the dominant side of balls hit in their game which lends itself to full arm extension on early swings. That, in itself, opens the area involved for high inside deflectivity to be of magnamonous proportions that overshadows any point made for length. Hence, deflection angle to the head deems itself equally, if not more proportional in ratio than the girls. :D

And oh, by the way, the bleeding hearts for the girls safety thing is real. Just walk around and listen how the crowd reacts when a girl gets smacked in a game as opposed to what happens when a boy gets smacked.......That's right, TOTALLY different. Yes, at first there is concern, but when the girl gets hit, everyone is just sick for the girl and get mad if a coach leaves her in the game. The boys, however, parents are yelling "shake it off", "be tough", "let's go, you're not hurt". It's so obvious in the differences of attitude that it makes me laugh out loud as I type this. It's absurd to think it's anything else but bleeding hearts.... B)

You know Cak, you don't get the gist of the thread. Nobody is saying not to be safe. Again, I will repeat myself, just make it for the boys too. I hope that's not too hard to understand. This ruling is full of #$&!!@#!!! I hope the girls file a lawsuit for descrimination, plain and simple because they ARE being descriminated against........DOUBLE STANDARD...PLAIN AND SIMPLE! :D

you convinced me!

i will encourage all our parents to file a lawsuit.

thanks for your help.

MY DD has worn a mask since 10U now she is in 16u. Most of the balls in the face injuries that i saw and concerned me were the girls attempting to bunt and the ball coming up and hitting them or the ball coming off the plate and hitting them. Now with girls throwing true rise balls, which they will throw against a bunter, most of the attempted bunts will go off the top of the bat risking striking the face. Boys as far as i know do not have rise balls, correct me if i am wrong, but a girl that can throw a true rise ball (one that actually breaks up the last second) is a difficult pitch to bunt correctly, increasing the chance of the ball going upward off the bat into the face. I have been to quite a few boys games, and the only boys i have seen hit close to face, is a hard fastball up to get them off the plate.

MY DD has worn a mask since 10U now she is in 16u. Most of the balls in the face injuries that i saw and concerned me were the girls attempting to bunt and the ball coming up and hitting them or the ball coming off the plate and hitting them. Now with girls throwing true rise balls, which they will throw against a bunter, most of the attempted bunts will go off the top of the bat risking striking the face. Boys as far as i know do not have rise balls, correct me if i am wrong, but a girl that can throw a true rise ball (one that actually breaks up the last second) is a difficult pitch to bunt correctly, increasing the chance of the ball going upward off the bat into the face. I have been to quite a few boys games, and the only boys i have seen hit close to face, is a hard fastball up to get them off the plate.

My daughter got hit in the face exactly this way when she was playing summer ball a few years back. Luckily, no broken facial bones, but the docs said it easily could have happened. She did have a nice shiner for the nationals that year.

Wearing the masks just makes good sense. My daughter's team wore them last year in the summer. They complained at first, but easily adapted to having them on.