Steve Logsdon

CAM10

Way back before the season even started Cleveland was looking for a new Coach. Toby didnt have anything to do with it then.

Cleveland Offered Steve the Job. Toby didnt have anything to do with it then.

Steve came back to Bradley. Toby still didnt have anything to do with it.

All that i am saying is this wasnt a case of Cleveland vs Bradley/ Jones vs Mckenzie people assume that just because Jones went to Cleveland and Toby went to Bradley.

Oh and if you still think i am wrong wait a few weeks and see if Rusty Blackman is offerd a job at Cleveland i am not sure if its head coach but he will be offered atleast a Asstant Job.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve is a great coach! I didn't know the job was open. Word is Chad was forced out. Allan J. and Tobe M. fought for Steve to Cleveland or Bradley! Tobe won! Steve won! $$$$$$$$$$$ Chad lost! Deal smells bad! :huh::D

chad was in NO way forced out. Steve consulted Chad BEFORE he even talked with any other party about coaching again. If chad would have had a problem with it steve would have stepped aside. It was a MUTUAL decision between the two. What smells bad is someone stating as fact a lot of stuff he knows little or nothing about. I know B. G. president of the booster club as well and I have talked with him about this and you are way off base with your comments.

Oh, and does anyone know anything about two for one deals? I believe one can be in HS and the other in middle school, something like that.

I'm not trying to stir things up- BTW. I just don't like it when folks act like they know nothing about any tuition/housing support. We all know it exists and it is not always based on income either. ND, should we talk about any religious breaks in HS and College? I know BYU offers reduced tuition if you're Mormon and I've heard about Catholic support as well.

I say,,, forget it and move on. In the 70's, we had to wrestle Baylor, ND, Ryan and McCallie; we got a few big wins back when it was all together (even with Barbee, Watson, Potter and others lured away). We just tried that much harder to improve and be competitive.

Steve may surprise us one day, you never know. Domination against D1 foes will not surprise us and maybe not even against both D1 & D2, but just having the chance to experience this would. What a huge draw that would be. Big Mac or McKenzie may get some more wrestling dates.

Tanner Johnson is pure rumor.

I say...

"Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!"

If the tuition breaks really exist I am a horrible negotiator. My daughter lettered in 3 sports , my son 3 sports including 1 state championship and 2- 2nds and I have never gotten a dime off. I also think back to the day when we applied and begged to get in. Much of the "Scholarship issue is mythical".

If the tuition breaks really exist I am a horrible negotiator. My daughter lettered in 3 sports , my son 3 sports including 1 state championship and 2- 2nds and I have never gotten a dime off. I also think back to the day when we applied and begged to get in. Much of the "Scholarship issue is mythical".

the scholarships would be to entice someone to come to the school

there is no point in enticing someone who's already a payed student

If you were still at the Free Press-Times maybe they would be more negotiable. + you're not incremental business.

Congrats on what is likely the first of two Golds for your boy!!

Shoot me one adsom@bellsouth.net

Way back before the season even started Cleveland was looking for a new Coach. Toby didnt have anything to do with it then.

Cleveland Offered Steve the Job. Toby didnt have anything to do with it then.

Steve came back to Bradley. Toby still didnt have anything to do with it.

All that i am saying is this wasnt a case of Cleveland vs Bradley/ Jones vs Mckenzie people assume that just because Jones went to Cleveland and Toby went to Bradley.

Oh and if you still think i am wrong wait a few weeks and see if Rusty Blackman is offerd a job at Cleveland i am not sure if its head coach but he will be offered atleast a Asstant Job.

What's the story behind Toby McKenzie and Allen Jones? Were they both highly sucessful check cashing businessmen and/or rent to own? Was Toby the one who donated a couple of mil to pay off UTC's debt on the Roundhouse? I thought it was Jones who really supports wrestling.

I believe Allan wrestled for Cleveland, but did Toby wrestle too. I'm not sure Bear wrestling goes back beyond 1974. Sly or Tex23, you old guys, esp. you tex; :( why don't you catch us up on all this history?

the scholarships would be to entice someone to come to the school

there is no point in enticing someone who's already a payed student

I did need incentive to go. My daughter wanted to go and I truely did not feel that I could afford it. I told the school when she applied that we could not come without assistance and I really did feel that way. The school felt differently and to date I haven't gotten a dime, however I have felt that it has been worth it.

What's the story behind Toby McKenzie and Allen Jones? Were they both highly sucessful check cashing businessmen and/or rent to own? Was Toby the one who donated a couple of mil to pay off UTC's debt on the Roundhouse? I thought it was Jones who really supports wrestling.

I believe Allan wrestled for Cleveland, but did Toby wrestle too. I'm not sure Bear wrestling goes back beyond 1974. Sly or Tex23, you old guys, esp. you tex; :thumb: why don't you catch us up on all this history?

As far as I know, Toby never wrestled at Bradley. He is several years my senior.

Alan Jones was a 2nd place guy at cleveland with Duane Shriver and maybe coach Miller, I can't remember, ask Raider76. I think Jones graduated in 72, same class as my one of my sister's at Cleveland.

I did need incentive to go. My daughter wanted to go and I truely did not feel that I could afford it. I told the school when she applied that we could not come without assistance and I really did feel that way. The school felt differently and to date I haven't gotten a dime, however I have felt that it has been worth it.

yah, but the fact is you did make it without help

Urban mythes die hard.

Sommers along with many others are absolutely sure that Bay/McC are handing out scholarships to promising young athletes.

The TSSAA rules clearly state that an athlete is not eligable to compete if they receive more financial aid then qualified per the NAIS company.

Jakesdad and Raider76 have both stated on this board that they pursued the aid process and did not qualify. One decided to attend anyway and the other decided against. Their sons are without question 2 of the more gifted all around athletes in the state. What school wouldn't want both of these young men representing them via their athletic teams? Why wouldn't Bay or McC wink at those rules and then throw buckets of aid their way? I guess Jakesdad and Raider76 are just liars.

To all you folks who are convinced that Bay/McC are handing out athletic scholarships, I challenge you to produce a single person who will come forward to state that they indeed received one of these mythical scholarships. Someone we know who actually attended and not one of those "i know this guy who" or "when I was in middle school they told me that I'd get a scholarship" claims.

Urban mythes die hard.

Sommers along with many others are absolutely sure that Bay/McC are handing out scholarships to promising young athletes.

The TSSAA rules clearly state that an athlete is not eligable to compete if they receive more financial aid then qualified per the NAIS company.

Jakesdad and Raider76 have both stated on this board that they pursued the aid process and did not qualify. One decided to attend anyway and the other decided against. Their sons are without question 2 of the more gifted all around athletes in the state. What school wouldn't want both of these young men representing them via their athletic teams? Why wouldn't Bay or McC wink at those rules and then throw buckets of aid their way? I guess Jakesdad and Raider76 are just liars.

To all you folks who are convinced that Bay/McC are handing out athletic scholarships, I challenge you to produce a single person who will come forward to state that they indeed received one of these mythical scholarships. Someone we know who actually attended and not one of those "i know this guy who" or "when I was in middle school they told me that I'd get a scholarship" claims.

Okay Vol,

I really don't want to offer a lot of information as fact or as first hand, but I did experience things personally and did hear it from a couple of sources in recent years, and I am not making anything up.

Are you denying that you can get a two for one deal or at least a reduced tuition if you have a second student in middle school? How about your daughter's tuition? Setting aside sports, what about other unrelated talents associated with scholarships?

Keep in mind that my own brother and I were considered for Baylor in the seventies as we were both involved with Senter School (private K-8) wrestling, Lauder's B-ball and Chuck Allen's football (Our 8th graders were as large, and maybe as old, as many HS athletes with a 13-0 record in FB and a 56 point average, never scored upon, never had to punt or kick a field goal, beat Lafayette HS 9th-10th grade team 82-0, North GA Jr. High All-star team 78-0 , Ooltewah Jr. High, and of course all the OLPH's and St. Jude's - we had a team walk off the field at half time never to return with the score 44-0; and Wilkie Green-who many should remember, refused to play us for similar reasons to Steve Logsdon's D2 position) and partial tuition was discussed then, so my first hand experience goes back to the mid 70's. Five years of French, two years of Spanish and one year of Latin was enough for me. My brothers and I went to Hixson.

Also, keep in mind that many of my fellow students & recruited athletes at Senter, new found friends and gifted athletes at "then-power" Hixson Jr. High, left during or after our 100+ winning steak in Jr. High football and wrestling. Many were lured over to Baylor in that era as well. These teams were so talented that even RMC-one of the strongest and with lots of hair :unsure: and I were happy to dress out for some of those big games I remember in 9th, but we knew why Hixson High didn't continue to be great. It was obvious.

I coudn't blame them for leaving, and again, as I was told first hand in recent years, "we just couldn't turn it down; the offer was too good to refuse." This just brought back those old memories. I really understood their reasoning though and remained friends with many that left. I was happy that our Pat Murphy & Ronnie Voss stayed with us and a few others that kept us competitive in sports.

BTW - You wonder about my loyalties to GC? It began in the mid 70's at Hixson as he left us with a rich wrestling tradition we could be proud of. It was an honor just to make varsity back then and you fought to keep your spot with weight classes getting as deep as 10-15. RMC can appreciate, but not politics involved with so many parents of course (new can of worms).

Soms - That is your most rambling response to date and still never addresses the question presented which is produce one person who goes there on an athletic scholarship.

You want to present yourself who attended a public school back in the ice ages as the example to validate your point? Even if there is a hint of truth in what your stating, the TSSAA rules of today for D2 didn't apply at that time anyway.

Once again you have put yourself out on this board as having inside knowledge on a subject. When questioned on your position you "really don't want to offer a lot of information as fact or as first hand". Why should anyone out here place any merit in what you state if you won't back up your position?

BTW - Apparantly your position with GC is much like your position with D2 athletic scholarships - you have no recent first hand experience or knowledge concerning either yet you attempt to argue against those folks who are actually living and paying for those experiences. Is it fair to say that your opinion of both is based on your impressions from 35 years ago and your opinion is not open for change based on the recent facts?

Edited by walkenvol