Lake county vs Greenfield

bballchamps

It feels kinda weird for me to be posting about Greenfield on the Girls board but it is good feeling as well.

backintheoc, I don't think that you can say that the two possible best representatives did not make it. True that Gleason is probably the best representative for our region based on their record against the other three teams and the number of points that they beat them by each game. But we all know that the regualr season means squat at this point. As for UC & Gfield, UC may have won 3 games against Gfield, but they were by 2 points, 6 points in OT, and 2 points respectively. They may be wins but it is hard to argue that one team is better than the other when the average winning score is one basket.

As for the tourney system, sounds like sour grapes to me. You could say that Greenfield "backed" into the region championship by being fourth place in our district. (Which with the competition and depth of our district 4th place should get a gold ball) But you turn the situation around and put UC in Gfield's place, and you have the greatest come back story in the world. Trenton did it last year in the boys, Sharon boys back in '95 just to name two off the top of my head. You can't change the system cause the T$$AA wants as many games as possible, as does each school since they get part of the gate. Plus you take out a lot of competition (especially in our district) when you don't allow more than 1 or 2 teams out of the district. The system has been in place since 80's maybe even 70's when they went to 3 classifications. Sometimes it goes your way (as it did for us this year) some times it bites you in the butt. But what in life doesn't do that.

As for the game, Lake Co. is big and as athletic as they come. Greenfield is going to have to control the speed of the game and limit some of the turnovers they had in the Union City game. Making a couple more of the three pointers we tend to rely on will help as well.

Edited by jvaughan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It feels kinda weird for me to be posting about Greenfield on the Girls board but it is good feeling as well.

backintheoc, I don't think that you can say that the two possible best representatives did not make it. True that Gleason is probably the best representative for our region based on their record against the other three teams and the number of points that they beat them by each game. But we all know that the regualr season means squat at this point. As for UC & Gfield, UC may have won 3 games against Gfield, but they were by 2 points, 6 points in OT, and 2 points respectively. They may be wins but it is hard to argue that one team is better than the other when the average winning score is one basket.

As for the tourney system, sounds like sour grapes to me. You could say that Greenfield "backed" into the region championship by being fourth place in our district. (Which with the competition and depth of our district 4th place should get a gold ball) But you turn the situation around and put UC in Gfield's place, and you have the greatest come back story in the world. Trenton did it last year in the boys, Sharon boys back in '95 just to name two off the top of my head. You can't change the system cause the T$$AA wants as many games as possible, as does each school since they get part of the gate. Plus you take out a lot of competition (especially in our district) when you don't allow more than 1 or 2 teams out of the district. The system has been in place since 80's maybe even 70's when they went to 3 classifications. Sometimes it goes your way (as it did for us this year) some times it bites you in the butt. But what in life doesn't do that.

As for the game, Lake Co. is big and as athletic as they come. Greenfield is going to have to control the speed of the game and limit some of the turnovers they had in the Union City game. Making a couple more of the three pointers we tend to rely on will help as well.

I will argue with you. Gleason beat Greenfield twice,and was undefeated in Single A, up until last night. They were a total of 1-5 against the teams that are in the finals. I will say that the best two teams are not in the Region Championships. However, the best two teams from Saturday night are, though I thought Greenfield was going to give the game away.

And Union City was 3-1 over Greenfield. If that's not a better team, not matter how close the games are, I don't know what is. A win is a win, and three is better than one in the overall scheme of who is better, but that one trumps all three of those in the matter that it was in a postseason elimination game.

I will argue with you. Gleason beat Greenfield twice,and was undefeated in Single A, up until last night. They were a total of 1-5 against the teams that are in the finals. I will say that the best two teams are not in the Region Championships. However, the best two teams from Saturday night are, though I thought Greenfield was going to give the game away.

And Union City was 3-1 over Greenfield. If that's not a better team, not matter how close the games are, I don't know what is. A win is a win, and three is better than one in the overall scheme of who is better, but that one trumps all three of those in the matter that it was in a postseason elimination game.

If you look at it that way,Lake Co split with Union City and should have beaten them both time,losing a 13 point lead in the first game..Lake Co beat Greenfield,2 out of 3 times..I see Greenfield fan's point on this..all the games were decided by a couple points each time..And now ,upset or not..Lake Co beat Gleason...Two of three from Greenfield,split with Union City,beat the #1 team in the state..and have won about 8 games in a row..I would have to agree ,Gleason has proved over the course of the season to be the best team while the other 3 teams are pretty close......I also heard one of the radio announcers a few games ago talking about Gleason having a very good team but it looked like a team with some size could beat them...It seemed to be true...Lake Co has just had trouble breaking some teams presses..Once they do..they can beat a lot of teams..As big as Clay is and the way she can move..I would pound the ball inside all night and if the teams collaspe,kick it out for some long range shots..

HEY ALL YOU LADY FALCONS FANS.GO AHEAD AND GET YOUR FLOOR POLISHED AND GET IT LOOKING GOOD BECAUSE YALL WILL BE HOSTING SUBSTATE!!.And while your at it go ahead and get your bags packed because yall are headed to MTSU baby!!!!..I saw 2 of the best girl basketball games back to back ive ever saw in history!!!The lady falcons are flying high and their gonna glide right in to BURRO!!..MAD PROPS TO THESE GIRLS THEY PLAYED THEIR HEARTS OUT!!i PICk L.C. by 10!!

jvaughan- The reason why Gleason is the best representative from the region is not only because of their record with the other 3 teams or the points they beat them by. You're right; it's hard to argue that one team is better than another when the average winning score is 1 basket, but Gleason's average winning score over all 3 teams is WAY more than 1 basket, & I dare say if any of the 3 played the competition Gleason has, their records wouldn't be 31-3.

dudeutm2002- You're right. The 2 best teams aren't in the regional final, & the 2 best teams won't have the opportunity to play in a sub-state game, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Good luck Queenie & the Lady Falcons...

First off,I want to congratulate the Lady Falcons and Lady Yellow Jackets..Last night was a special night for girls basketball in West Tennessee,further proving that District 14A has the most parity of any 1A district in the state.....Here's hoping Lake County and Greenfield can represent the district in the state tournament...

Now for something that may cause some debate......

Last night,the two best possible representitives of the district DID NOT make the sub-state round....Gleason had beaten Lake County THREE times during the season and district tournament.....Same with Union City and Greenfield..Union City had beaten Greenfield THREE times without defeat....You cannot make me believe the best two teams won last night...Yes,they were better on this particular night,but not overall....I know this is the way our system is made up now,but there is a problem with a state tournament sysyem that can actually reward a team that could possibly have three losses in the district and region tournaments a state championship....You don't see it in The NCAA tournament,which to me is the ultimate tournament scenario....

I don't mean a team can lose to a particular team three times during a season and move on...I mean you can win the first round of the district and then go on to lose the next two games,but move on to the regionals.....You can win the first two games of the region,then lose the final and move on to the sub-state..That is a 4-3 record and you can go to the state tournament and go on to win.....A 7-3 record in the tournaments can win you a state championship....Something just doesn't seem right about that.....I know it's been that way for a long time,but it's just something for people to think about...

What happened last night though,will make for some big rivalries the next few years in this district and region...Something else was proven during this region tournament....District 13A has a WAYS to go before it will be able to compete on a level with 14A...Same on the boys side....Again,congrats to the winners and do our district proud and make it to the state and bring home a gold ball.....

Excellent point!!!!! In post season when you lose your season should be over! I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "It's hard to beat a team three times in one season!" How about 4 or 5 times in one season! The pendulum swings over to the underdog after being beat 3 or 4 times in a season. Loser has nothing to lose, and the winner has everything to lose! I agree with you, lose a game season should be over! But there would be a lot less revenue for the member schools in each district and region! And by all means don't forget TSSAA's percentage 25-30%??? not sure, off the top before any tournament expenses are paid or shares distributed to schools.

:lol: