SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE OFFICIATING

m-townflyinghigh

you can have a more or less balance on the total calls but the nature of the calls can really change a game. If a player is going in and scoring but foul is called on the floor taking points off the board. You trap a player and there's a cheap foul to bail them out. Calls that seem to always go for one team under the basket while mid court keep the balance on the calls. Things are not always as balanced as the score board shows. What if all your fouls are on the two stars on the team. A foul on one end is always a foul on the other end, or it should be. Foul total is no way to judge an officiating crew...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying if both teams have 25 fouls at the end of the game, then that means the officiating was consistent? No matter what happened during the game or if one team is more aggressive than the other or one teams reaches in more than other or if the defensive pressure from one team is NOT consistent with the other team? Just as long as the foul totals are consistent.

Just checking...

YOu didn't have to take it personal little blu. That was just one example. You can rate it on walks, traveling, staying i the paint to long, etc. i was just saying they need to be consistent, but hey, whatever makes YOU feel better. B)

Just as I always say when one of these threads comes up....

If you think you can do better, get out there and do it yourself. It is people like you that are keeping qualified persons from wanting to become an official. They don't want to leave work early, drive an hour or more each way, and run up and down a basketball court for the better part of 3 hours, all while being berated by fans that think they know everything, for a measly $65.

Do you have people pay 4 or 5 bucks to come to your workplace, stand 5 feet from your desk and yell at you for 3 hours about every single mistake you make? I didn't think so.

If officials truly were cheating like you say and it was discovered, I'd say they'd be banned for life. But it just isn't true.

i have seen it done not only for the school i cheered for, but schools that i wan't a fan of. you have 3 refs out there and when you have only one ref making all the calls what are the other 2 getting paid for. you let one of your family members get hurt,ejected, or suspended from a game just because the ref didn't do his job. then you can talk. none of this has happened to me but i know someone who has medical bills totaling $30,000.00. a player grabbed and threw this player to the floor and they landed wrong and damaged their knee. it is true that refs cheat and look the other way. don't wear blinders and if you are you need to take them off

Edited by m-townflyinghigh

On official has never cost any team a win! For every one bad call there are at least ten things that the losing team could have done better to help them win the game! The coach and players need to concentrate on what they can do to change the out come of the game not what the official can do. Two of the best girls coaches in the state rarely speak to an official during the game. (Randy Frazier and David Russell) You wont change an officials mind, nor will you influence their decisions. Cheer for team let the stripes do their job.

CC

officials can cost you a game. if your team has 4 players in foul trouble before the second quarter, and the other team is in the bonus. and they have been shooting fouls shots and have not shot an outside shot or did a lay up. now if they are not shooting outside shots and not even getting a lay up, but they are managing to go to the freethrow line from one quarter to the next. who fault would you say it is.

because if your team can't drive in without getting a foul, but the other team can. would you say something smells fishy. because your team is playing defense if the other team can't get a shot off. now days you are having to play 8 people instead of 5. the refs should call it even and straight down the line. because if you are unsure about a call then you should not blow the whistle and come up with something.

Why is it that you folks from Middleton are always WHINNING when you lose a ball game? You lost, get over it. What about the refs not calling any over the back by the middleton players? Forgot about that didn't you. What about the championship game between TCA and Madison when all of the rude fans from Middleton took up the whole side of the gym and the TCA fans except the student body had to set somewhere else? Middleton has the rudest fans in the world. Why do you keep the heat on during the game, but at half time you cut the fans on? All this is also being addressed by the TSSAA.

As far as driving to the basket, if the defense is in postion and you try to bully your way in, it is called a CHARGE. Your players were lucky just to be in the same building with Madison. Your team was outplayed and outcoached. Get over it. Why don't you go and get signed up and be an official, but then you would have to know how to read and take a test. Leaves most of your fans out on that.

DEFENSE wins games and your team didn't have it that night. You have a whole year to learn how to play defense.

officials can cost you a game. if your team has 4 players in foul trouble before the second quarter, and the other team is in the bonus. and they have been shooting fouls shots and have not shot an outside shot or did a lay up. now if they are not shooting outside shots and not even getting a lay up, but they are managing to go to the freethrow line from one quarter to the next. who fault would you say it is.

because if your team can't drive in without getting a foul, but the other team can. would you say something smells fishy. because your team is playing defense if the other team can't get a shot off. now days you are having to play 8 people instead of 5. the refs should call it even and straight down the line. because if you are unsure about a call then you should not blow the whistle and come up with something.

Still not the officials fault! Learn how not to foul! Officials have never caused a team to lose, for every one bad call ther are at least 10 turnovers or bad decisions made. Dont use the referees as a crutch for your teams loss. The team and coach must take responsibility and do what it takes to get better. I f you think the officiating is SO BAAAAAD! Then get a whistle and start working games. Do this for about 5 to 10 years. As each year passes by your view and ideas will be much, much different. Enough said!

CC

On official has never cost any team a win! For every one bad call there are at least ten things that the losing team could have done better to help them win the game! The coach and players need to concentrate on what they can do to change the out come of the game not what the official can do. Two of the best girls coaches in the state rarely speak to an official during the game. (Randy Frazier and David Russell) You wont change an officials mind, nor will you influence their decisions. Cheer for team let the stripes do their job.

CC

I think you mean "an" not "on".... It is true that every team makes mistakes and could have done something better to help themselves. Doing something better is not the topic, that is a given in any lose (or win for that matter) but was the officiating a problem. I think at times it is a problem. When a game is close, regardless of mistakes which both teams are making, calls can at times effect the game. I have never heard our coach or any coach blame the officials for a lose. I don't recall an official changing a call because of a coach either. I beleive every coach would rather have their team win big enough that calls wont hurt them and will do everything in there power to do so. But wanting to get better officiating of the games is something alot of people would like to see, win, lose or draw.

I think you mean "an" not "on".... It is true that every team makes mistakes and could have done something better to help themselves. Doing something better is not the topic, that is a given in any lose (or win for that matter) but was the officiating a problem. I think at times it is a problem. When a game is close, regardless of mistakes which both teams are making, calls can at times effect the game. I have never heard our coach or any coach blame the officials for a lose. I don't recall an official changing a call because of a coach either. I beleive every coach would rather have their team win big enough that calls wont hurt them and will do everything in there power to do so. But wanting to get better officiating of the games is something alot of people would like to see, win, lose or draw.

Now the probelm is in reply to this quote, 90 percent of the time half the people will say that the officials were pretty good, the other half will say pretty bad. It is the nature of two sides against each other. The losing team has a bad point of view, the winning a good point of view. Most of the time when someone complains about officiating, it is after their team loses. Go watch a game that you have no bias in and pay attention to the officials. Your view of officiating may change.

CC

You can influence an official. If you rub an official the wrong way, they won't hesitate to make quick calls against you in any sport. They do have an impact on the game as well.

I honestly believe that most people would not have such a problem with the officiating if the calls were consistent. I know several people have posted they have been to games where one team had 10 fouls and the other had 2. The calls need to be consistent in every game.

True, how can players adjust if the officials are not consisant? District 12A had to put up with horrible officiating all year. I would like to commend the officials in the Sub State game at Summertown. The crew was far better than any I have seen all year. I had thought that there were not any good ones out there,but these men did a great job.