Greeneville Devils take on Powell Panthers

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it is - and yes, Greeneville does recruit. It recruited me 5 years ago from Florida - got tired of hurricaines, traffic, rude people, racism and crime. Looked for a place to raise my 2 teens. Found Greeneville listed in an article about "the best 200 small town in America". Did some DD and found a gem in the rough. A small college town with history, a blossoming arts scene, mountains in my backyard, a great city school system and oh yea - a great sports program. I've been to the Boro 4 times in 5 years to watch GV play basketball at States. This year I go 2 weeks in a row.The GV girls soccer team went to sub-state and the boys were ranked 6th in the state last year. What's more impressive is this is a school of <850 students and plays UP a division is every sport. My wife and I are professionals with advanced degrees. We've lived all over the world (world - not nation), I speak 2 languages and yet we're labled "rednecks" because we live in Greeneville. So be it - we love this town. It recruits you with it's charm and honesty. The problem is people from the big city can't understand how a small "hick" town can beat them it just doesn't make sense so they look for excuses like "they must recruit". Like I said - it does - just not the way you think it does.

Couldn't agree with you more lilpoofer22, but don't forget the wrestling team this year also. GHS had 3 of the winter sports in the top 8 in the state (Girls & Boys Basketball & Wrestling). I wonder if that has been accomplished by any other high school, maybe Bradley, they usually have successful winter sports.

There have been several posts not only on this thread but other sports threads concerning Greeneville's success in sports being a result of "recruiting". "You" mentioned in the post probably wasn't referring to you personally but to "you" collectively answering those others. You just happened to at the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't take it personally. The confusion is partly due to County residents given the choice of sending their kids to the city school if they pay tuition (although I think only 1 varsity BB player is from the county and he dosn't start). Also, people out of the area can't understand why anyone would move to Greeneviile. I think the previous post explains that. Come to Greenville and see for yourself.

Greeneville has 3 county players on varsity...good call tho :lol: