Who is goin to win the single a tournment

Union City is the team to beat. They beat the team (Middleton) that won it all last season. That Marquis Weddle guy will be way to much for an overmatched Cloudland team. They will win it all. I am calling for no game closer than 10

I think the two teams that will give them the most trouble will be Grace or Humboldt. Humboldt obviously because they have already beaten them, and Grace because they have the size to neutralize some of there athleticism. Weddle would have a 6'3 guy on him who is pretty quick with a 6'10 guy standing in the paint. I would be suprised if Union City doesnt make it to the final, although they dont need to overlook Clay County they could give them a run for their money.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just say that, generally speaking, the demographics in West Tennessee are different from those in East Tennessee. Bruce Pearl knows this -- when he first got to UT, he said that the Vols were "going to play West Tennessee basketball in East Tennessee." In the games I've seen in East Tennessee (I currently live in Knoxville), the games have been mostly played in the half court by fundamentally sound teams that relied heavily on ball control and pure shooters. In West Tennessee, the game is much faster, full-court pressure, lots of transition baskets, terrific ball movement, and a lot of games are won on pure athleticism.

This, of course, does not always translate into success at the state level. In 2000, Lake County went to the state tournament with a team full of tremendous athletes that weren't very good basketball players. The Falcons shot something like 28% against a big, fundamentally sound Cosby team and got whipped. But then last year, five of the six state championships (boys and girls) were won by teams from West Tennessee. Humboldt and Union City have not just great athletes, but great athletes that are also great basketball players. Humboldt has tremendous size and speed, and if they get hot from outside too, you can forget about it.

I just don't think the teams from East Tennessee can handle the speed and quickness of the West Tennessee teams. I may be proven wrong, but if Grace and Cosby and all the others are good enough to hang with Humboldt and Union City, then they are seriously for real.

"West TN Basketball" hasn't had too many 'ships in the last decade have they? From what I've come to understand the east can handle that quickness just fine.

It's funny on here how people take size and athleticism over heart and good old fashioned team play basketball remember down here in the East there is a whole lot more to basketball than putting your arm in the rim and and going out and being a 1 man show and racking up 40 points by one player you cant count on Cloudland showing Union City the meaning of the way East Tennessee basketball is played come this Wednesday Bank on it.

:thumb:

Edited by JIMA6578

I kno zero about east teams besides the fact i have seen them play in recent state tournies..But i cant imagine anyone playin with U/C in the state tourny unless it is humbolt...and for Grace i have seen you and some of the teams you where talkin about beatin and yall should have stayed at the house.

You sir are foolish. For one you totally contradicted yourself. One of the first things you said was that you know zero about east teams...and then come back with some crap about us not being any good and not playing anybody and that you had seen us. So which one is it? You obviously cant even keep yourself straight. And EVERY team at this point has a good shot at the title. Dont come out and make stupid comments that a team doesnt have a chance or should have stayed home. You sir just sounded ignorant.

"West TN Basketball" hasn't had too many 'ships in the last decade have they? From what I've come to understand the east can handle that quickness just fine.

Let's take a look at the last decade:

CLASS A BOYS--

2005 -- Middleton (West)

2004 -- Unaka (East)

2003 -- Temple (East)

2002 -- Temple (East)

2001 -- Chattanooga Christian (East)

2000 -- South Fulton (West)

1999 -- Moore County (Middle)

1998 -- Ezell Harding (Middle)

1997 -- Perry County (West)

1996 -- Boyd Buchanan (East)

Class A Boys Totals since 1996:

East -- 5

West -- 3

Middle -- 2

So East Tennessee has won more in Class A, but not significantly more.

CLASS AA BOYS--

2005 -- Bolivar (West)

2004 -- Bolivar (West)

2003 -- Giles Co. (Middle)

2002 -- Ridgeway (West)

2001 -- B. T. Washington (West)

2000 -- Ridgeway (West)

1999 -- Carver (West)

1998 -- Kingsbury (West)

1997 -- Union City (West)

1996 -- Martin Luther King (Middle)

Class AA Boys Totals since 1996:

West -- 8

Middle -- 2

East -- 0

West Tennessee has clearly dominated Class AA.

CLASS AAA BOYS--

2005 -- Ridgeway (West)

2004 -- White Station (West)

2003 -- White Station (West)

2002 -- White Station (West)

2001 -- Bartlett (West)

2000 -- White Station (West)

1999 -- White County (Middle)

1998 -- White County (Middle)

1997 -- Cleveland (East)

1996 -- Memphis East (West)

Class AAA Boys Totals since 1996:

West -- 7

Middle -- 2

East -- 1

West Tennessee has clearly dominated Class AAA as well.

Since basketball went to a three-class system in 1976, West Tennessee schools have won....

14 of 30 Championships in Class A (.467)

22 of 30 Championships in Class AA (.733)

17 of 30 Championships in Class AAA (.567)

Which comes to a total of -- 53 of 90 Total Championships (.588) for West Tennessee schools.

Hard to argue with the facts.

Just because these west teams are athletic and fast doesn't mean they are gonna be able to run. The fundemental teams will just have to slow the ball down and play there ball. Seems like whoever dictates the tempo of the game will have the best shot at winning. With that said, I like Clay Co. chances.

Let's take a look at the last decade:

CLASS A BOYS--

2005 -- Middleton (West)

2004 -- Unaka (East)

2003 -- Temple (East)

2002 -- Temple (East)

2001 -- Chattanooga Christian (East)

2000 -- South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> (West)

1999 -- Moore County (Middle)

1998 -- Ezell Harding (Middle)

1997 -- Perry County (West)

1996 -- Boyd Buchanan (East)

Class A Boys Totals since 1996:

East -- 5

West -- 3

Middle -- 2

So East Tennessee has won more in Class A, but not significantly more.

CLASS AA BOYS--

2005 -- Bolivar (West)

2004 -- Bolivar (West)

2003 -- Giles Co. (Middle)

2002 -- Ridgeway (West)

2001 -- B. T. Washington (West)

2000 -- Ridgeway (West)

1999 -- Carver (West)

1998 -- Kingsbury (West)

1997 -- Union City (West)

1996 -- Martin Luther King (Middle)

Class AA Boys Totals since 1996:

West -- 8

Middle -- 2

East -- 0

West Tennessee has clearly dominated Class AA.

CLASS AAA BOYS--

2005 -- Ridgeway (West)

2004 -- White Station (West)

2003 -- White Station (West)

2002 -- White Station (West)

2001 -- Bartlett (West)

2000 -- White Station (West)

1999 -- White County (Middle)

1998 -- White County (Middle)

1997 -- Cleveland (East)

1996 -- Memphis East (West)

Class AAA Boys Totals since 1996:

West -- 7

Middle -- 2

East -- 1

West Tennessee has clearly dominated Class AAA as well.

Since basketball went to a three-class system in 1976, West Tennessee schools have won....

14 of 30 Championships in Class A (.467)

22 of 30 Championships in Class AA (.733)

17 of 30 Championships in Class AAA (.567)

Which comes to a total of -- 53 of 90 Total Championships (.588) for West Tennessee schools.

Hard to argue with the facts.

But since this is a post about A looks like to me in the last 13 years west tn has managed 3 titles which is .230 so I would say you have BEEN DOMINATED in class A in the last few years GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT !!! :thumb:

But since this is a post about A looks like to me in the last 13 years west tn has managed 3 titles which is .230 so I would say you have BEEN DOMINATED in class A in the last few years GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT !!! :thumb:

i dont mean to sound rude or anything..but why is everyone talking about tha past...so what if west tn has more wins since they have started the 3 classes..this is this year...we will see which side is better at the end of this year..and then next year the same thing...the past is the past...state is in a week...we will see then..go east...

Since Tennessee split into three classes for the 1975-1976 season.....

Single A State Champions....

West Tennessee-11 Championships

Middle Tennessee-12 Championships

East Tennessee-7 Championships

That pretty much put the wraps on that discussion...

Bigwes68 may have been counting Perry County's three championships, to get his 14 state championships,as west Tennessee...Linden is on the east side of the Tennessee River so they are middle...

Edited by backinthaoc

Yep you are right about that..But i will tell you this..Union City and Humboldt was not in single A at the time and you better reconize because guess what?..They are now!!..Like it or not,that is just the way it is..And i will say this..Hunboldt and Union City players better not take these Middle and East teams lightly because if you do they will sneak up on you and you will be getting your baseball bats earlier than you thought...So you better be ready to play and show these people who you really are..But i will stay with my prediction..Humboldt and Union City in the finals and the gold and silver will come back to 14a,the toughest district in the state..SO LETS PUMP IT UP GUYS AND SHOW THEM JUST HOW GOOD 14A IS!!..Good luck to all teams in the state turny and every team deserves to be where they are now but no matter what happens all players keep their heads up because you have nothing to be ashamed of and congrats to all teams that made it...So don't hate the players people,hate the game......................Words of Wisdom...Jimmy V says DON'T GIVE UP..NEVER GIVE UP!!!