Un of Colorado Recruiting Questions

GHvolrebel

Who can tell me? How did Colorado come to recruit Whitney Houston out of Hillcrest and isn't there another girl from AAA in Memphis that is signed with

Colorado?

Colorado saw both girls play in the summer and there is also a Memphis to Colorado connection up there on the boys' side so I think in Houston's case, an assistant coach to the men's team has some Memphis/Hillcrest connections and told the women's coach and they saw her a lot of times and loved her. I know that both she and Candace Rucker had tons of schools all over the country recruiting them and we have several other kids who are the same way in this area.

Schools like UCLA, USC, Washington State (a good friend of mine is an assistant coach there), Rutgers and other far away schools have recruited and offered kids in the Memphis area. I think that since a lot of Memphis clubs have stopped focusing so much on AAU ball and have done more with travel teams and shoe affiliated sponsors, there has been more exposure than ever. AAU is fun, but you only get exposed at the National Tournament and only if you advance to the latter rounds do the top schools watch you. If you are a top player and your team loses in pool play, your chances of playing in front of top coaches is very slim since most of the time they have you playing at some little box gym far away from the main floor where the superstars compete.

There is one superstar kid in this area (you guys wouldn't know her) who has Georgia, LSU and Florida at the top of her list. By that I mean that they have all offered already and she's interested. She had everyone but Tennessee and UConn make scholarship offers, but she's still young and there's still a lot of ball for her to play.

Colorado saw both girls play in the summer and there is also a Memphis to Colorado connection up there on the boys' side so I think in Houston's case, an assistant coach to the men's team has some Memphis/Hillcrest connections and told the women's coach and they saw her a lot of times and loved her. I know that both she and Candace Rucker had tons of schools all over the country recruiting them and we have several other kids who are the same way in this area.

Schools like UCLA, USC, Washington State (a good friend of mine is an assistant coach there), Rutgers and other far away schools have recruited and offered kids in the Memphis area. I think that since a lot of Memphis clubs have stopped focusing so much on AAU ball and have done more with travel teams and shoe affiliated sponsors, there has been more exposure than ever. AAU is fun, but you only get exposed at the National Tournament and only if you advance to the latter rounds do the top schools watch you. If you are a top player and your team loses in pool play, your chances of playing in front of top coaches is very slim since most of the time they have you playing at some little box gym far away from the main floor where the superstars compete.

There is one superstar kid in this area (you guys wouldn't know her) who has Georgia, LSU and Florida at the top of her list. By that I mean that they have all offered already and she's interested. She had everyone but Tennessee and UConn make scholarship offers, but she's still young and there's still a lot of ball for her to play.

Thanks for the info. caramelcutiepie.

They barely beat us in the sub-state so that was one reason for my interest. Hillcrest had another girl, a sophomore I think, that had a real good game from 3 point land. Better temper control than Houston,too.

k

Caramelcutiepie...I have missed you....good information!!! Are you still in the Memphis area?

Hey WesCharge!! What's shakin?? I've missed you, too! Glad to see you are still on here. Yes, I'm still in the Memphis area and hopefully I'll get to go to Murfreesboro tomorrow if I get some tires put on my car!! Are you going to state, already there or what? What have you been up to??!! I know its been quite a while since we have chatted on here. Who were you pulling for this year and how did they fare? How does the future look for your team?

Hey WesCharge!! What's shakin?? I've missed you, too! Glad to see you are still on here. Yes, I'm still in the Memphis area and hopefully I'll get to go to Murfreesboro tomorrow if I get some tires put on my car!! Are you going to state, already there or what? What have you been up to??!! I know its been quite a while since we have chatted on here. Who were you pulling for this year and how did they fare? How does the future look for your team?

Refuse to go to the 'Boro....Obion Co upset Westview (I still can't believe it), and then Hillcrest beat Obion Co. This was Westview's year, and it didn't happen! Next year, they will come back to the pack, and probably be the 3rd or 4th best team in the district.