Region Champs in Basketball & Football

margotfos

Thought it was a great accomplishment by these three schools -- Region Champs in both basketball and football in the same school year. As far as I can tell they are the only schools in the state (other than DII) to claim this honor. As Coach Jeff Chatman, Head Football Coach at East Robertson said, "It's a good year to be an Indian." Or a Tornado, or a Mustang!!

East Robertson has 7 football players on their basketball team, 3 who are starters. What about the others?

Alcoa has a bunch on their basketball team as well. I believe they have nine footballers on the team.

When the year opened up, Alcoa had a roster only 2 players on the team that didn't play football--Ridenour and Stubblefield and they can both shoot the lights out if you don't play 'em tight. I am not sure if anyone quit the team, but I know at least Lindsey and Sykes got hurt-coming from football I think. I assume they may have moved players up, but I don't know for sure.

Thought it was a great accomplishment by these three schools -- Region Champs in both basketball and football in the same school year. As far as I can tell they are the only schools in the state (other than DII) to claim this honor. As Coach Jeff Chatman, Head Football Coach at East Robertson said, "It's a good year to be an Indian." Or a Tornado, or a Mustang!!

East Robertson has 7 football players on their basketball team, 3 who are starters. What about the others?

WOW, its a great day to be a raider aswell :)

When the year opened up, Alcoa had a roster only 2 players on the team that didn't play football--Ridenour and Stubblefield and they can both shoot the lights out if you don't play 'em tight. I am not sure if anyone quit the team, but I know at least Lindsey and Sykes got hurt-coming from football I think. I assume they may have moved players up, but I don't know for sure.

Sykes did not play at all this year due to the football injury , but Dustin played about half the season before an old shoulder injury took him out for the rest of the year. :thumb:

I think that in High School sports that playing football can really benefit a kid during basketball season. In high school kids are always playing different sports and football gives them the oppurtunity to focus on weight training and being tougher. Good luck to all of the small schools, i hope fosnes puts them up early and often.

I think that in High School sports that playing football can really benefit a kid during basketball season. In high school kids are always playing different sports and football gives them the oppurtunity to focus on weight training and being tougher. Good luck to all of the small schools, i hope fosnes puts them up early and often.

I agree that football helps BUT it's tough on these small schools that are successful in football. The football players miss about a month of the season if they go deep in the playoffs. A good basketball program should be weight training anyway.