UC & Humboldt

blik

I saw the Humboldt game last night and they are very good. Obviously, UC was a lot better than Cloudland. However, the fact is that both UC and Humboldt are AA schools competing against A schools. Spin it any way you like, but the only reason UC and Humboldt are A is because of the 1.8 multiplier the TSSAA imposed to hurt private schools. It should not surprise anyone that UC and Humboldt are dominating.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Humboldt game last night and they are very good. Obviously, UC was a lot better than Cloudland. However, the fact is that both UC and Humboldt are AA schools competing against A schools. Spin it any way you like, but the only reason UC and Humboldt are A is because of the 1.8 multiplier the TSSAA imposed to hurt private schools. It should not surprise anyone that UC and Humboldt are dominating.

How does the multiplier affect Humboldt and Union City?

How does the multiplier affect Humboldt and Union City?

Because the multiplier moved several private schools up in classification, some AA schools (such as UC and Humboldt) moved down to even out the numbers. UC and Humboldt have always been AA schools based on enrollment.

I just wish all the crap about classifications and everything would end...The T$$AA put Humboldt and UC there so what did you want the schools to do?...Did you want Humboldt to say, no, we don't want to go down, we'd rather play in our same district which now includes McNairy, Bolivar, Southside, Lexington, etc....Humboldt doesn't have a lot of students...they should have more, but everyone goes to either Gibson Co. High School, Milan, Trenton, or a private school in Jackson...And UC only has 391...doesn't look like a lot to me...But, in some ways I knew this would happen...There always has to be excuses...It can never be..."Well, they were just a better team...they belong here...they could compete in 2A...but that's not where they belong"...instead, everyone cries just because Humboldt is playing exactly where the state told them to play...and on top of that...they put Humboldt and UC in the same district, along with Lake Co., Halls, and Trenton...I'm guessing you'd call Lake Co. a "legitamate" 1A school?...Well, Lake Co. beat them 3 times...Once without Toylon Smith but that doesn't matter, no excuses...I felt like Lake Co was one of the top 3 teams in the state, but UC beat them in region, so they're out...but you don't see Lake Co crying about UC and Humboldt being there, because they welcome competition...nobody wants a cakewalk to the tournament, because when you finally get to the tournament, you get embarrassed...Lets find something else to argue about...

Because the multiplier moved several private schools up in classification, some AA schools (such as UC and Humboldt) moved down to even out the numbers. UC and Humboldt have always been AA schools based on enrollment.

I went to Humboldt, so its not like I have an axe to grind. Humboldt is a traditional AA school. The fact is they have several hundred more students than most other teams in A. Just because the TSSAA "put them in single A" doesn't make that decision right or fair. It happened because of the multiplier and the multiplier happened because it suited the needs of the public schools in TN. humboldt certainly was not the driving force behind that decision, but its naive to believe it isn't a factor in their success this year. Don't get me wrong, they have a ton of talent but comparing Humboldt and Cosby is not exactly apples and apples.

I went to Humboldt, so its not like I have an axe to grind. Humboldt is a traditional AA school. The fact is they have several hundred more students than most other teams in A. Just because the TSSAA "put them in single A" doesn't make that decision right or fair. It happened because of the multiplier and the multiplier happened because it suited the needs of the public schools in TN. humboldt certainly was not the driving force behind that decision, but its naive to believe it isn't a factor in their success this year. Don't get me wrong, they have a ton of talent but comparing Humboldt and Cosby is not exactly apples and apples.

Apparentley the AP voters in the AP Poll thought that cosby was a much better team than humboldt ranking the #1 in the state compared to Humboldt's #6 ranking. Humboldt definitely be the #1 team in the staete followed by U.C. So you are wrong on the apples to apples point. Tradition or no tradition Humboldt is on a mission to win and they are so far doing very well.

I saw the last 3 quarters of Union City and the entire Humboldt game.

I wont judge UC - seeing as they played cloudland and they may not have been playing their 5 best kids. But I think Humboldt beats UC; too much size for them.

As for Classification of these teams. I didnt look up the enrollment numbers, but a friend of mine did and said Humboldts enrollment was like 500 or so on the TSSAA Web Site (Not sure if that was current?).

But I noticed that the Humboldt brought a lot of fans. Humboldt is a pretty decent sized town, at least compared to Cosby.

Apparentley the AP voters in the AP Poll thought that cosby was a much better team than humboldt ranking the #1 in the state compared to Humboldt's #6 ranking. Humboldt definitely be the #1 team in the staete followed by U.C. So you are wrong on the apples to apples point. Tradition or no tradition Humboldt is on a mission to win and they are so far doing very well.

I am a east tenn person and I'll admit Cosby should not have been number 1. Its what happens when you play a cupcake schedule.. records can be decieving.

My Theory on this years Class A AP Polls.

Cosby lost their only game back in mid December. AP Polls began coming out the 2nd Tuesday in January.

I think Cosby got the number one slot the first week because they were the #1 team here in the Class A W/L Rankings. And then Cosby didnt lose again (until last night) so really it was hard to vote them out of the #1 slot.

And I vote in the poll; and to be honest, I didnt know anything about the D-14 trio until I saw you guys wondering where those guys were in the Top 10. I use the W/L rankings and Strength+Success ratings to give a base to my picks, but I also keep in mind what i read on here.

I've got a question...

Looking at the TSSAA website, it lists Humboldt as having 534 students and Union as having 442.

I thought the classification system went:

A: 0-399

AA: 400-799

AAA: 800+

Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

First off, there is not a set number of students you have to fall in to be in a particular class. Once all of the enrollment numbers are turned into the TSSAA, then it is simply divided into thirds (fifths for football). If you fall in the bottom 1/3, then you are in Class A, the top 1/3 you are in Class AAA, everyone else is in Class AA.

Second, there is no way Humboldt has 534 students. Try about 440 and Union City is definitely below 400 (as is McKenzie and Riverside who also dropped down, but no one is crying because they're not in Murfreesboro).

Finally, the multiplier rule established to effect the private schools probably made the difference in Humboldt being Class A - they were on the border between the two classes. Union City, on the other hand, would most likely have dropped anyway (they're even class A in footbal now as well).

Just pray the multiplier doesn't increase past 1.8, or you'll really fill up CoachT boards in the future with complaints.