Soccer Fans

BDP_FAN

Thats becuase your son goes to White House where soccer isnt a popular sport and no really cares about it, same with Gallatin and Beech...people there only believe in basketball and football so you just have to deal with it

Well it just so happens that I care greatly about the sport of soccer and know quite a few others that do as well. But what has that got to do with the price of milk? Cheering because an opponent was injured shouldn't happen regardless the sport. Maybe it's because of people like you that this activity goes on and fans think it's alright, especially if they think like you......

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first heard of the movie when Alijah Wood(sp) was on Leno or Letterman one night and they did a clip of the movie and he explained it; i was immediately drawn to it, being a soccer player. I researched its release and was disappointed to find out that it was only released in the UK and select cities in the US...so i pirated it, but i intend to buy it when it comes to dvd...it starts off amazing, but then slows down for about 15 minutes to build the story and then the rest is amazing.

I first heard of the movie when Alijah Wood(sp) was on Leno or Letterman one night and they did a clip of the movie and he explained it; i was immediately drawn to it, being a soccer player. I researched its release and was disappointed to find out that it was only released in the UK and select cities in the US...so i pirated it, but i intend to buy it when it comes to dvd...it starts off amazing, but then slows down for about 15 minutes to build the story and then the rest is amazing.

I like how you openly admit to doing something illegal. Let us know when it comes to DVD though.

Well it just so happens that I care greatly about the sport of soccer and know quite a few others that do as well. But what has that got to do with the price of milk? Cheering because an opponent was injured shouldn't happen regardless the sport. Maybe it's because of people like you that this activity goes on and fans think it's alright, especially if they think like you......

No people like me play soccer for the love of the game that i have grown up with. you cant be successful in the sport without the love. That is the main reason i am playing in college. I love the sport. I just think soccer is misunderstood in some areas of Tennessee, maybe White House and Gallatin dont have the same type of coaching or discipline as other schools. You just have to think that the country bumkin schools dont understand the sport so when they see a great tackle in soccer they cheer. It happens everywhere. Even in other countries where soccer is more popular than here. So dont tell me i have a bad way of thinking, i know soccer and i know what ur saying. Just deal with it

No people like me play soccer for the love of the game that i have grown up with. you cant be successful in the sport without the love. That is the main reason i am playing in college. I love the sport. I just think soccer is misunderstood in some areas of Tennessee, maybe White House and Gallatin dont have the same type of coaching or discipline as other schools. You just have to think that the country bumkin schools dont understand the sport so when they see a great tackle in soccer they cheer. It happens everywhere. Even in other countries where soccer is more popular than here. So dont tell me i have a bad way of thinking, i know soccer and i know what ur saying. Just deal with it

White House happens to be VERY disciplined, more so than most soccer teams I've seen. It's not the kids that play that I'm questioning here. It's the fans. I don't have problem with cheering when there is a great tackle, not at all. I do have a problem that when the play is over and the kids don't get up, there shouldn't be anyone for either team cheering because a player got hurt. It's a shame you feel that's fine and I hope you remember you've said this when you get hammered and hurt. Don't be ticked because the fans start taunting you and cheering for them to take you out again.....

I must deal with such an ignorant statement. The frustration was over cheering for an injured player, not a great play. Everyone will cheer for a great play in any sport. I have been around travel and high school soccer for over 25 years, and in my opinion it is never accepatable to cheer because a player he/she is injured or merely "shaken-up". Deal ;)

I think people without class are going to act like people without class (ex.-fans cheering when a player gets hurt), but players and coaches have to deal with it. Should they do it? No. Should it bother anyone with sense? No.

Should it bother anyone with sense and you said no..... Don't know how old you are but I'm almost 41, I feel as though I have plenty of sense and it does bother me. When the time comes and you have a child playing a sport, any sport, and they are injured in the game, I promise you it will bother you when the opposing teams fans, kids and parents, start cheering because your flesh and blood got hurt. You don't have to believe me now, but trust me, you'll see red if and when it happens. There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior and I'd have to agree with some of the responses I've read stating the AD and coach need to get involved when it comes to their fans cheering and taunting an injured player. Especially when the fans start begging for their team to take them out again......

There is no excuse for the bad behavior/sportsmanship that goes along with cheering an injured player. It seems that I've seen much more of this type of behavior at High School games than during travel. The few times that I have seen it in travel was from the less informed soccer wathcers. There are so many people at High School soccer games that no nothing about the game, so they don't know a foul when they see it. Then their team is in many cases undermanned with kids that don't play a lot of soccer. Fans get real ugly when their team falls far behind and that's when the danger really increases. The losing team starts taking cheap shots, the fans encourage it, the refs don't control it and someone gets hurt.

From the responses in this post it's easy to see how this type of thing continues. Unfortunately you are going to have to just deal with it. As a parent of a player I can empathize with you. It's very difficult to sit there and bite your tongue sometimes when you hear the things being said to your child by the hooligans that attend. Honestly I think it bothers us much more than it does our kids.

I must deal with such an ignorant statement. The frustration was over cheering for an injured player, not a great play. Everyone will cheer for a great play in any sport. I have been around travel and high school soccer for over 25 years, and in my opinion it is never accepatable to cheer because a player he/she is injured or merely "shaken-up". Deal :angry:

Yeah deal, im sure youve been around club and highschool soccer for 25 years but ive played both club, highschool, and college at the highest level so i know what im talking about too. Im not saying its right to cheer in that situation. Some fans dont know anybetter. Soccer is not well known in the United States and every knows it, so some people dont understand what is right and what is wrong. So just because you have your 25 year opinion and i have my 5 year opinion doesnt mean you or I are right. Deal :D

Yeah deal, im sure youve been around club and highschool soccer for 25 years but ive played both club, highschool, and college at the highest level so i know what im talking about too. Im not saying its right to cheer in that situation. Some fans dont know anybetter. Soccer is not well known in the United States and every knows it, so some people dont understand what is right and what is wrong. So just because you have your 25 year opinion and i have my 5 year opinion doesnt mean you or I are right. Deal :angry:

ok..its a draw

Should it bother anyone with sense and you said no..... Don't know how old you are but I'm almost 41, I feel as though I have plenty of sense and it does bother me. When the time comes and you have a child playing a sport, any sport, and they are injured in the game, I promise you it will bother you when the opposing teams fans, kids and parents, start cheering because your flesh and blood got hurt. You don't have to believe me now, but trust me, you'll see red if and when it happens. There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior and I'd have to agree with some of the responses I've read stating the AD and coach need to get involved when it comes to their fans cheering and taunting an injured player. Especially when the fans start begging for their team to take them out again......

My bad dude, maybe I said that wrong. I can see how it would bother a parent. They don't want their kid getting hurt, and the kid obviously doesn't want to get hurt. And I'm not saying its acceptable behavior. I agree that it's classless and people shouldn't do it. But although I don't have any kids, I've been playing and refereeing soccer for a long time and I've seen people get hammered and I've been hammered myself more than once. And yes, I know its not fun to hear the other team's player's parents yelling at their kid "There ya go John, do it again!" or "That's what happens when ya hold the ball too long! Hahaha!" I've been there and done that, and I know it stinks. But as a player, you've just got to shrug it off, and even understand that some people are out there for the sole purpose of hammering people, and some parents are there who think they're at a American football game instead of at an English futbol game. Acceptable? Absolutely not. But although its one of the less-fun parts of sporting events with fans, its a part nonetheless, and I believe you've just got to not let it get in your head, especially as a player. But sorry if I offended you. :lol: