Thad Young or Brandan Wright

War Eagles

The "gold ball" argument doesn't carry much weight for a couple of reasons. First, BA plays in D-II. Even with the team chemisty problems Mitchell had this season they still would have blown through the D-II State Tourney. Second, A LOT has to do with team make-up. If you replaced Wright with Young on BA's team they would have won just as many games. Conversely, I do not think Wright would have done any better with the Mitchell team than Thad did. There were too many things working against Thad that he had no control over. I never said I picked Thad because he was only "potentially" better. I said he is better right now. If we are looking at right now and not "potential" then I guess the stats they averaged this year would be a good indication don't you think? Well, Thad's were better. His all-around stats were slightly better than Wrights. Does that not count for anything?

Didn't Brentwood beat St. Patricks NJ. who was ranked#3 in the nation at the time? Didn't Brentwood beat Mitchell by 11 earlier in the seasaon? The division play meant nothing this year with the teams that Brentwood played. Also you play basketball to win not for stats so NO stats mean nothing. Take the Pistons for example, Take Billups away and add Iverson much better stats but the team chemistry would be wrecked. Maybe if Thad's stats were better spread out over the team they could have been more successful who knows? Bottom line is you play to win, one "superstar" delivered one did not. You can blame coaching, and you can blame "other things" but it all comes down to the W and yes the gold ball. Basketball is played on the court not on the bench, not by the fans, not by us wasting time at work posting on sports forums, but by the players and Wright is the one who delivered.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that is wordy and all but didn't address the question properly. Yes all those other factors do count. You didn't say anything about the fact that Wright would not have helped Mitchell be any more successful than they were. And, BA would have been just as good with Young as they were with Wright. Those are accurate statements, and therefore all those "other" things must have an affect. So, all that matters is bringing home the gold ball? With that conclusion, the best players for Liberty are "better players" than Thad Young? Your view is quite narrow, because you are essentially decalring basketball to be an individual sport. Basketball is very much a TEAM sport and there is nothing Thad Young could do about the fact that his coach was inept and other "superstars" on the team resented Young's exposure.

BA's team was filled with role players who knew what it took for their team to be successful and they bought into the system. They knew Wright was their ticket to winning games and they rode him to victory. Nobody else on that team felt like they deserved the credit Wright was getting. On the other hand, Young played on a team with 3 other players that felt the were "underrated" and were getting "ignored in the shadow" of Thad. Therefore, these players abandonded the TEAM concept and tried to do things to get attention for themselves. They took their focus off the team and placed in on "the me" element. That didn't happen on the BA team. And, if you think that has nothing to do with W's and L's then you are very nieve.

I will say this my knowledge of both players is limited because I only saw Brandan play once and Thad twice so here is my take.

I think they are neck and neck I dont think one stands out more than the other. But I will say this Brandan had better coaching and I think that makes a big difference. The reason why a lot of big games Thad didtn show up down the strecth because they would not give him the ball I blame that on coaching

BA's team was filled with role players who knew what it took for their team to be successful and they bought into the system. They knew Wright was their ticket to winning games and they rode him to victory. Nobody else on that team felt like they deserved the credit Wright was getting. On the other hand, Young played on a team with 3 other players that felt the were "underrated" and were getting "ignored in the shadow" of Thad. Therefore, these players abandonded the TEAM concept and tried to do things to get attention for themselves. They took their focus off the team and placed in on "the me" element. That didn't happen on the BA team. And, if you think that has nothing to do with W's and L's then you are very nieve.

As you had said Thad's stats were better. Maybe if he had been more willing to share the wealth things could have been different. And yes in the title game Wright would have been more of a difference maker. A much bettter shot blocker who can change the game with his defense. Also note Young's 6 turnovers in the final game compared to Wrights 1 in his final game. Wright is the type of player who doesn't have to have the ball in his hand to contribute Young is a more ball dominate type player unselfish maybe but still ball dominate. So yes Wright could have made a difference in that outcome. Like I said Wright for ,now not saying he has a brighter future, but he is the one with the W's and a player like him fits into alot of coaching systems.

More willing to share the wealth? You do realize one of the criticisms of Young this season is that he was too unselfish? When he was double-teamed he make the correct decision. The decision of a basketball player with a high basketball IQ. Many times even the double-team probably could not have stopped him and he could have scored anyways. But, he doesn't shoot when two people are guarding him because he is a smart unselfish player. Too unselfish many times. Comparing T.O's is ridiculous. Wright is a PF/C with no ball handling responsibilities for his team. Mitchell's PG (#5) fouled out with 7 and a half minutes left to play in the game. (Side note: why did Mitchell's coach have him in the game at that point with 4 fouls...) That forced Young to play PG for the last 7 and a half minutes of the game. That was where the majority of his T.O's came from.

Bottom line: Both players are great players. We have different views on the how much the "team" concept contributes to wins and losses so there is no clear end to our discussion. Agree to disagree.

More willing to share the wealth? You do realize one of the criticisms of Young this season is that he was too unselfish? When he was double-teamed he make the correct decision. The decision of a basketball player with a high basketball IQ. Many times even the double-team probably could not have stopped him and he could have scored anyways. But, he doesn't shoot when two people are guarding him because he is a smart unselfish player. Too unselfish many times. Comparing T.O's is ridiculous. Wright is a PF/C with no ball handling responsibilities for his team. Mitchell's PG (#5) fouled out with 7 and a half minutes left to play in the game. (Side note: why did Mitchell's coach have him in the game at that point with 4 fouls...) That forced Young to play PG for the last 7 and a half minutes of the game. That was where the majority of his T.O's came from.

Bottom line: Both players are great players. We have different views on the how much the "team" concept contributes to wins and losses so there is no clear end to our discussion. Agree to disagree.

I agree with most of you r post except for one part when you said Brandan doesnt have ball handling reponsibilities. When they played Ridgeway he pretty much ran the point in the last half quarter and made some tremendous plays especially when the game was still in doubt

It depends on what you consider as impact. Thad will have better stats because he is going into a situation where he has to score and will get more playing time.. Brandon team has more talent and he will not receive the stas or miniutes.

Edited by Galilee

It depends on what you considr as impact. Thad will have better stats because he is going into a situation where he has to score and will get more playing time.. Brandon team has more talent and he will not receive the stas or miniutes.

I agree I believe most if not all of Carolina's team is returning which means Brandon will not have to do as much. I hope they get matched up against each other that would be fun to see

great points gentlemen.....i've seen wright play about 3 or 4 times and thad play about 10 or 12 times.... I would say it's a toss of the coin....wright is the real deal who at first i thought he was just a big but he has wonderful handles and excellent d....thad has all the tools...handles,shot, blocks, rebounds and of course excitement...so who's better???? flip the coin

great points gentlemen.....i've seen wright play about 3 or 4 times and thad play about 10 or 12 times.... I would say it's a toss of the coin....wright is the real deal who at first i thought he was just a big but he has wonderful handles and excellent d....thad has all the tools...handles,shot, blocks, rebounds and of course excitement...so who's better???? flip the coin

BW