How many innings can a pitcher pitch in a week?

goirishgreen

It sounds like there is alot of confusion about this. If I were a coach, I believe I would start my best pitcher every game for about 3 innings and get a good lead and save him - There's got to be some regulation on this.

It could become just like softball and have 1 good pitcher take you all the way to the State Tournament!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could become just like softball and have 1 good pitcher take you all the way to the State Tournament!

Sadly, it is already that way.

To get to the state tournament, you only have to win on Monday and Friday.

The Wednesday game just decides who travels and who stays home Friday...

I have been trying for years to get this changed....

Sadly, it is already that way.

To get to the state tournament, you only have to win on Monday and Friday.

The Wednesday game just decides who travels and who stays home Friday...

I have been trying for years to get this changed....

Until just a couple years ago, you had to win on Monday, Wednesday AND Friday. I know as recently as 2002, only four teams went to the state tournament. Now they have changed it to be more like basketball and softball.

I like the new format. Gives more teams a chance to go to a state tournament.

You should ask former Coach Wright at Clarkrange, I believe he had that rule printed on the back of his T-shirts one year just to get back at that Coach from Red Boiling.

Coach Wright and Clarkrange were in the wrong,and when he threw the first pitch in what would have been the eleventh inning ,they were in violation of the rule,because I was there and knew when he threw that pitch it was over,R.b.S. filed a protest with the TSSAA and won,So it only showed more ignorace on coach Wrights part.

It sounds like if a team has two talented pitchers, a good defense behind them, strong bats, and a creative coach with the guts to gamble...the team could take it all the way to State Tournements. However, most parents would grumble if they had a son with the potential of playing at the next level and a coach took chances of injuring his arm for the wins.

Ive seen catchers hurt just as much as pitchers without having any relief and coaches crawling them for not gunning the runner down after a 3 or 4 game week. Maybe catchers need some protection with rules also.

It sounds like if a team has two talented pitchers, a good defense behind them, strong bats, and a creative coach with the guts to gamble...the team could take it all the way to State Tournements. However, most parents would grumble if they had a son with the potential of playing at the next level and a coach took chances of injuring his arm for the wins.

Ive seen catchers hurt just as much as pitchers without having any relief and coaches crawling them for not gunning the runner down after a 3 or 4 game week. Maybe catchers need some protection with rules also.

Yeah I agree :lol:

Until just a couple years ago, you had to win on Monday, Wednesday AND Friday. I know as recently as 2002, only four teams went to the state tournament. Now they have changed it to be more like basketball and softball.

I like the new format. Gives more teams a chance to go to a state tournament.

I LOVE the fact that 8 teams make it to the state tournament instead of 4.

But I wish instead of a win-or else Monday, won-or-lose-it-doesn't-matter Wednesday and a win-or-else Friday we would go to a 4 team 'sectional' double-elimination tourney.

Monday's losers meet Tuesday and Monday's winners meet Tuesday and then winner plays loser and winner plays winner and has to beat them twice

that would be a better gauge of a team's quality (i.e. pitching depth)

Right Now I (one) dominant pitcher can get you to the 'Boro, but you better have more than one after you get there....

I LOVE the fact that 8 teams make it to the state tournament instead of 4.

But I wish instead of a win-or else Monday, won-or-lose-it-doesn't-matter Wednesday and a win-or-else Friday we would go to a 4 team 'sectional' double-elimination tourney.

Monday's losers meet Tuesday and Monday's winners meet Tuesday and then winner plays loser and winner plays winner and has to beat them twice

that would be a better gauge of a team's quality (i.e. pitching depth)

Right Now I (one) dominant pitcher can get you to the 'Boro, but you better have more than one after you get there....

Yes, I think the double-elimination is the way to go...because "the one star pitcher" would not be the determining factor to get to state...to be knocked out in second game because your pitching is used up.

I got a question. Even if you have one stud on the mound, wouldn't he start to lose steam at this point in the season if he is having to pitch every game they need a win. I personally think there should be an inning to game ratio rule. 10 Innings in two days in my opionion is stupid, because if you do play on Monday and Wednesday and Friday then you can use your stud in each game. I know coaches that would do that. Same with catchers. There should be alot of protection for both these positions for coaches that will do absolutly anything to win.

I got a question. Even if you have one stud on the mound, wouldn't he start to lose steam at this point in the season if he is having to pitch every game they need a win. I personally think there should be an inning to game ratio rule. 10 Innings in two days in my opionion is stupid, because if you do play on Monday and Wednesday and Friday then you can use your stud in each game. I know coaches that would do that. Same with catchers. There should be alot of protection for both these positions for coaches that will do absolutly anything to win.