Upper East Tennessee Track and Field

Coach B.

In the upcoming track and field season I would like for all of us, coaches, fans and athletes, to show some class and dignity in everything we do in recard to track and field. Athletics is an opportunity to represent all our schools, communities and families in a positive manner. Let's all try to be good examples.

Sincerely to all, Coach R. Brewer, UCHS Track & Field

In the upcoming track and field season I would like for all of us, coaches, fans and athletes, to show some class and dignity in everything we do in recard to track and field. Athletics is an opportunity to represent all our schools, communities and families in a positive manner. Let's all try to be good examples.

Sincerely to all, Coach R. Brewer, UCHS Track & Field

I would like to say for the most part everyone does a good job. However the athletes are the ones who are most often the cause of problems. Being in areas where they are not supposed to be is a major problem and needs to be addressed. Whether it be walking onto the track in front of runners or crossing a runway when another athlete is preparing to jump, or even the loud commotion near the throwing areas are major distractions. I would like to add that the coaches cannot be everywhere and most of the time are helping out running the meet so the athletes are on their own. Good luck to all this year!

Thanks Coach B. for being a strong supporter of sportmanship and the well being of track and field. (A sport that is hugely neglected and gets little or no recognition from Media and very small fan support.)

I would like to say for the most part everyone does a good job. However the athletes are the ones who are most often the cause of problems. Being in areas where they are not supposed to be is a major problem and needs to be addressed. Whether it be walking onto the track in front of runners or crossing a runway when another athlete is preparing to jump, or even the loud commotion near the throwing areas are major distractions. I would like to add that the coaches cannot be everywhere and most of the time are helping out running the meet so the athletes are on their own. Good luck to all this year!

Thanks Coach B. for being a strong supporter of sportmanship and the well being of track and field. (A sport that is hugely neglected and gets little or no recognition from Media and very small fan support.)

I do agree that a good job is usually done by everyone. However I do respectfully disagree that the athletes are most often the cause of problems. Fan control on a track and field meet can be one of the toughest situations to deal with, much more so than events played at a football stadium or enclosed gymnasium. Dealing with a crowd on an open track surface is mostly left up to coaches with more important duties to deal with or overworked volunteers trying to do the best they can. I have participated in both middle and high school track meets as well as been employed as staff at the indoor NAIA championships in Johnson City. Even an arena such as the Memorial Stadium (our little Mini-Dome) is not immune to disruption. We must do the best job we can with the little resources our sport is allotted. It is this determination that makes our sport the class act it is and a crowning jewel in TSSAA athletics. Good luck to all teams this season!

I agree with both posts. It is a problem to be dealt with at all levels by personal responsibility from athletes and coaches.

I do agree that a good job is usually done by everyone. However I do respectfully disagree that the athletes are most often the cause of problems. Fan control on a track and field meet can be one of the toughest situations to deal with, much more so than events played at a football stadium or enclosed gymnasium. Dealing with a crowd on an open track surface is mostly left up to coaches with more important duties to deal with or overworked volunteers trying to do the best they can. I have participated in both middle and high school track meets as well as been employed as staff at the indoor NAIA championships in Johnson City. Even an arena such as the Memorial Stadium (our little Mini-Dome) is not immune to disruption. We must do the best job we can with the little resources our sport is allotted. It is this determination that makes our sport the class act it is and a crowning jewel in TSSAA athletics. Good luck to all teams this season!

Thanks for your comments

• 3 weeks later...

<_< Some great class was shown at the Mt.Lakes Conference meet by track fans, athletes, coaches and the host meet director and staff. When one of our 300m hurdles fell and broke her arm the assistance and concern from all mentioned above was quite impressive. Thanks to whoever let us use their cell phones-perfect strangers to us but willing to help. We appreciated the calls, emails, and questions. The girl will recover from the broken arm and your Good Samaritan acts won't be forgotten.

Coach B.

UCHS track and field

• 3 weeks later...

I don't follow. All of the schools in our area make a noble effort to not cheat. If anything is amiss, it is out of ignorance or omission not a deliberate committed action. I am sorry if you are experiencing less than professional behavior from coaches or from unsportsmanlike athletes. Check the back of the National Federation of High School track and field rulebook for guidelines for coaches and athletes.

sincerely Yours

Coach B.