Who has the fastest Fastball in the State...

BaseBall's#1Fan

I know for sure Sonny Gray is hitting 90-93mph....Wright from McGavock is getting up there but not sure if he hitting 90's or not,...

I have seen Sonny pitch several times.I think he would be having a great day if he hit 90.Sonny is consistant in the high 80s which is great for any High School pitcher.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen Sonny pitch several times.I think he would be having a great day if he hit 90.Sonny is consistant in the high 80s which is great for any High School pitcher.

All the hype about hitting 90 or above is OK but if you really htink about it...a lot of high school kids are not as good of hitters as someone in the upper levels, (college or minors)..Apitcher can make a real good living in the pros with a 84 to 88 mph fastball if he has something to go with it and can throw it to the right correct location..Just look at Greg Maddux or Phil Niekro.. just trying to say that speed is ok but the three main things of pitching seem to be LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION. You still HAVE to throw STRIKES and be able to fool the hitters most of the time..

Look closely at this post. Notice the M*A*S*H; note the "Radar" reference; the information in this post is made up, just like the name Johnathan Tuttle. Tuttle was a fictional character made up by Hawkeye and Trapper in an episode of my favorite show from one of the early seasons. The info in this post was meant to make fun of you all who think the best pitcher on your team throws in the 90's. Mikie Minor, legit; maybe a few others, but not as many as are on this thread.

I am from Forrest and have seen Mikie throw several times this year.

He has thrown consistently 87-88 the last two games. The highest I have seen

this year is 89 and that is very fast. So it is hard for me to believe anyone

is throwing in the low 90's in high school.

All the hype about hitting 90 or above is OK but if you really htink about it...a lot of high school kids are not as good of hitters as someone in the upper levels, (college or minors)..Apitcher can make a real good living in the pros with a 84 to 88 mph fastball if he has something to go with it and can throw it to the right correct location..Just look at Greg Maddux or Phil Niekro.. just trying to say that speed is ok but the three main things of pitching seem to be LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION. You still HAVE to throw STRIKES and be able to fool the hitters most of the time..

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, if you are a RHP it takes a lot to get a pro scout to look at you if you're not throwing low-mid 90s.

If as many guys are throwing 90 as is implied in this thread, I sure don't see it at the college level. It does make a difference whether a Jugs or Stalker is being used. The Stalker tends to read a couple of mph slower. Also, are we talking about "cruising speed" or top end speed?

I know of a few guys that got clocked in the low 90s in high school. They, of course, had a lot of interest from recruiters. But, it still comes down to an ability to pitch - not just throw. Once you get to college or pro ball, just being able to throw hard is not enough.

Edited by bizazz

Here's the deal on guns guys...Stalker and JUGS might read two different speeds. BUT, they are BOTH correct! How, you ask?

Because JUGS picks up the speed of the ball SOONER than Stalker. A baseball (or any object for that matter) slows down significantly from the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand to when the catcher catches it.

So it makes sense that if the JUGS gun picks up the speed of the ball a split second out of the hand, and a Stalker picks it up two split seconds out of the hand, then the JUGS reading will be faster. However, they are both correct at the moment of measurement!

Grad, you are correct. I didn't mean to imply that the Jugs was "wrong". In order to be able to compare pitchers, however, you have to know which brand of gun is being used. Hitting 90 with a Stalker is obviously more rare than with a Jugs.