should teams run the score up just becauser they can?

Losing is always no fun but should a team run up the score to win a game by over 90 points?

I think we al know how good the team pride u14 are but why did they feel compelled to run up the score to beat a lesser team by almost a hundred points? There is no question they could easily win and I think they showed that but what do they benefit from doing this?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing is always no fun but should a team run up the score to win a game by over 90 points?

I think we al know how good the team pride u14 are but why did they feel compelled to run up the score to beat a lesser team by almost a hundred points? There is no question they could easily win and I think they showed that but what do they benefit from doing this?

quit your whinin' we beat teams by 50-60 all the time. and we dont try that hard, the coach wont press after 20pts, players must work the ball around on offense, fast breaks are pulled out of 75% of the time, and do you really expect a team not to play hard when on the wood. if your getting beat that bad that often you've got to ask yourself WTF are we doing out here. by this age your playing middle/high school ball do you see any of those guys taking it easy (maybe over on the bench).

It obviously does not serve any purpose to intentionally run up the score by continuing to pressure or by keeping the starters in the game. It is demoralizing to the team on the losing end and the skills of the starters on the winning team are not being enhanced.

The dilemma is when your second team is far superior to the losing team's first team. What do you tell your second team kids after you have stopped pressuring? Do you tell them not to play 100% and try not to score? I would never tell kids not to give 100%. Giving 110% is a habitual way of playing.

I do not know what the circumstance was you are referring to. If the coach kept his/her first team in and continued to pressure, then that is senseless. If on the other hand, the score was run up because the second team played hard and kept scoring, then there is not much one can do about that.

It seems to me that when you enter a substate these days you had better be able to play or or else find a less competitive tournament that better fits the talents of your team.

quit your whinin' we beat teams by 50-60 all the time. and we dont try that hard, the coach wont press after 20pts, players must work the ball around on offense, fast breaks are pulled out of 75% of the time, and do you really expect a team not to play hard when on the wood. if your getting beat that bad that often you've got to ask yourself *** are we doing out here. by this age your playing middle/high school ball do you see any of those guys taking it easy (maybe over on the bench).

I think it reflects poorly when your pressing and 50pts up. and well gee wiz I have seen middle and high school teams backing way off rather than running up the score like this.

I think it reflects poorly when your pressing and 50pts up. and well gee wiz I have seen middle and high school teams backing way off rather than running up the score like this.

i agree, but in most cases they are not backing off they are working on different phases off their game. it may seem like backing off but no coach is going to send his/her players on the court to give 50-75%, he would not be coaching at this level succesfully.

It obviously does not serve any purpose to intentionally run up the score by continuing to pressure or by keeping the starters in the game. It is demoralizing to the team on the losing end and the skills of the starters on the winning team are not being enhanced.

The dilemma is when your second team is far superior to the losing team's first team. What do you tell your second team kids after you have stopped pressuring? Do you tell them not to play 100% and try not to score? I would never tell kids not to give 100%. Giving 110% is a habitual way of playing.

I do not know what the circumstance was you are referring to. If the coach kept his/her first team in and continued to pressure, then that is senseless. If on the other hand, the score was run up because the second team played hard and kept scoring, then there is not much one can do about that.

It seems to me that when you enter a substate these days you had better be able to play or or else find a less competitive tournament that better fits the talents of your team.

Amen to that. :)

I don't have this years roster yet. I have last years roster in my hand and I understand that there are a few changes. The names I see are of kids that play 100% all the time. B)

The Pride kids are just doing what they practice. :ph34r:

I would be the first to say that I hate attending a game where the score is run up. Most of the time a coach will leave in thier starting five for the majority of the game and press the entire time - - -

This was not the case for the Team pride 14U game today. I was there and can say that each and every player got several minutes of playing time. Each player on this team is motivated, and want to do thier best for the team!

I don't think there are very many top level teams who try to run up the score. In all the situations that I've seen, the team that was winning by 20 or 30 or more has put in subs or are practicing some things and the other team has given up or their starters can't hang with the bench warmers of the winning team.

I like what one coach did when our team was up by 30 and it was obvious that his team was outmatched. Unknown by this coach's parents, at half time, he asked our coach to press his team. He said they needed the practice and he wanted a team that really knew how to press to press them. The parents went crazy but our coach did do him the favor and the other coach took lemons and made lemonade. It would have been nice, though, if the parents had been informed. :thumb:

When it's obvious that the other team is very superior, it does your team no good to have the superior team lay down. In fact, it's could be considered insulting. In my opinion, you should do like that coach we played. Get with the other coach and turn it into a learning experience.

I am sure that the game being discussed in the 14U Team Pride vs the Knights. I think the final score was 122 to 29.

I know for a fact that Tiffany took her starters out after the first five minutes. She needed to work on full court pressing by some of her kids that do not get as much floor time as others, but did not press in the second half at all. She also worked on some isolation plays that she needed to work on for the Adidas Tournament that ended up with some easy scores.

Tiffany does not like to play games like this. Her motivation is to put her kids against the best in the country, older teams, and would play against guys, all to try and make each player on her team better. Making players better is her motivation, not recruiting the best for her own trophy case.

When a girl leaves Tiffany's training, she is prepared for the next level. Every girl that finished on her 2004 16U Team Pride team got college scholarships if they wanted to play on the next level. I would expect that if each girl on this 14U finishes with Tiffany, they will find themselves playing in college if that is what they want.

I am sure that the game being discussed in the 14U Team Pride vs the Knights. I think the final score was 122 to 29.

I know for a fact that Tiffany took her starters out after the first five minutes. She needed to work on full court pressing by some of her kids that do not get as much floor time as others, but did not press in the second half at all. She also worked on some isolation plays that she needed to work on for the Adidas Tournament that ended up with some easy scores.

Tiffany does not like to play games like this. Her motivation is to put her kids against the best in the country, older teams, and would play against guys, all to try and make each player on her team better. Making players better is her motivation, not recruiting the best for her own trophy case.

When a girl leaves Tiffany's training, she is prepared for the next level. Every girl that finished on her 2004 16U Team Pride team got college scholarships if they wanted to play on the next level. I would expect that if each girl on this 14U finishes with Tiffany, they will find themselves playing in college if that is what they want.

AAU basketball should be limited to skilled players, but as we know, recently that isn't the case. We have got people making teams out of 10 years old that have never played basketball, and DAD is coaching the team, because his daughter can't make the " ELITE " teams. DAD doesn't realize his daughter isn't the best in the world until she plays against the teams that are organized, then the complaining starts about running up scores, or teams are too rough. :thumb: When tournaments are posted you are paying $300.00 to play against the best then "PLAY YOUR BEST". Try not to be so hard on these organizations that "PRIDE" themselves on" XTREME" training. Girls will be girls unitl they are challenged to play like boys, and when you have teams that "EXCEL" brag on them, don't bring them down. If you are getting beat by 75 or 80 points it may not be the other teams training , it maybe a lack of "DADDYS" team training. At the end of the season your organization has put out of $2000.00 or $3000.00 to play tournaments, the parents want to see what your organization has produced and who will recognize the "STAR" potential. :lol:

AAU basketball should be limited to skilled players, but as we know, recently that isn't the case. We have got people making teams out of 10 years old that have never played basketball, and DAD is coaching the team, because his daughter can't make the " ELITE " teams. DAD doesn't realize his daughter isn't the best in the world until she plays against the teams that are organized, then the complaining starts about running up scores, or teams are too rough. :thumb: When tournaments are posted you are paying $300.00 to play against the best then "PLAY YOUR BEST". Try not to be so hard on these organizations that "PRIDE" themselves on" XTREME" training. Girls will be girls unitl they are challenged to play like boys, and when you have teams that "EXCEL" brag on them, don't bring them down. If you are getting beat by 75 or 80 points it may not be the other teams training , it maybe a lack of "DADDYS" team training. At the end of the season your organization has put out of $2000.00 or $3000.00 to play tournaments, the parents want to see what your organization has produced and who will recognize the "STAR" potential. :lol:

and just because a team gets beat by such a margin doesnt mean they are unskilled or coached by "dad" as you put it. AAU used to be about learning and improving, at least that was the impression I got. Some teams ARE made up of the best group of local kids the coach could put together and sometimes cicumstances put a team with injuries on the floor and they loose by a large margin.

I started this thread becuase of something I saw which aggravated me and it has been interesting reading varied opinions. I still think it is an unacceptable action to win by such a margin and I am not convinced the game which triggered this couldnt of been played and won in a more sportsman like manner.