should teams run the score up just becauser they can?

I am sure that the game being discussed in the 14U Team Pride vs the Knights. I think the final score was 122 to 29.

I know for a fact that Tiffany took her starters out after the first five minutes. She needed to work on full court pressing by some of her kids that do not get as much floor time as others, but did not press in the second half at all. She also worked on some isolation plays that she needed to work on for the Adidas Tournament that ended up with some easy scores.

Tiffany does not like to play games like this. Her motivation is to put her kids against the best in the country, older teams, and would play against guys, all to try and make each player on her team better. Making players better is her motivation, not recruiting the best for her own trophy case.

When a girl leaves Tiffany's training, she is prepared for the next level. Every girl that finished on her 2004 16U Team Pride team got college scholarships if they wanted to play on the next level. I would expect that if each girl on this 14U finishes with Tiffany, they will find themselves playing in college if that is what they want.

Great comments and I agree.............

An example of this would be Jasmine Hassell who started as a freshmen for the AAA State Champions, Wilson Central. I'm sure she is one of the players who has benefited tremendously under the coaching of Tiffany Woosley.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAU basketball should be limited to skilled players, but as we know, recently that isn't the case. We have got people making teams out of 10 years old that have never played basketball, and DAD is coaching the team, because his daughter can't make the " ELITE " teams. DAD doesn't realize his daughter isn't the best in the world until she plays against the teams that are organized, then the complaining starts about running up scores, or teams are too rough. :lol: When tournaments are posted you are paying $300.00 to play against the best then "PLAY YOUR BEST". Try not to be so hard on these organizations that "PRIDE" themselves on" XTREME" training. Girls will be girls unitl they are challenged to play like boys, and when you have teams that "EXCEL" brag on them, don't bring them down. If you are getting beat by 75 or 80 points it may not be the other teams training , it maybe a lack of "DADDYS" team training. At the end of the season your organization has put out of $2000.00 or $3000.00 to play tournaments, the parents want to see what your organization has produced and who will recognize the "STAR" potential. :lol:

stallball3, why are you disking the teams that have DADS as coaches some of these teams are fine line teams and like you said some do it becasue their kids can't make the "Stacked teams". Alot of tennessee teams have dads as coaches but i can tell you that most of the sucessiful teams DO NOT have daddy coaches nothing against dads but you can't be both a coach and a dad it just don't work. As a parent i would hope you always think your child is the best. If you look at the best these teams have been together since 10u or earlier, these are teams that should be "PRIDED" because they stayed together through thick and thin and don't jump from team to team just because their child isn't the star of the team. Thank you and good afternoon.

I am sure that the game being discussed in the 14U Team Pride vs the Knights. I think the final score was 122 to 29.

I know for a fact that Tiffany took her starters out after the first five minutes. She needed to work on full court pressing by some of her kids that do not get as much floor time as others, but did not press in the second half at all. She also worked on some isolation plays that she needed to work on for the Adidas Tournament that ended up with some easy scores.

Tiffany does not like to play games like this. Her motivation is to put her kids against the best in the country, older teams, and would play against guys, all to try and make each player on her team better. Making players better is her motivation, not recruiting the best for her own trophy case.

When a girl leaves Tiffany's training, she is prepared for the next level. Every girl that finished on her 2004 16U Team Pride team got college scholarships if they wanted to play on the next level. I would expect that if each girl on this 14U finishes with Tiffany, they will find themselves playing in college if that is what they want.

Tiffany should have picked another game to work on her press. Besides being unsportsmanlike, I cannot imagine her second team got anything out of it.

I'm not asking this question in regards to the Knights/Pride game. I'm an outsider and want to keep it that way.

But, I am interested in what you think the superior team ought to do when they've put their second string in there and the other team is still getting killed. I saw a team once that was up something like 52 to 0 halfway through the 2nd half. They put all their subs in and even started to limit their shots to pretty much 3's and it still didn't help. Now, I think the other team had given up and were not trying there best, too. What is the superior team supposed to do? Play with less than 5? Stall? Mess up on purpose? I would like to get some suggestions. I think no matter what you do, there can always be somebody who won't like what you tried and will accuse you of insulting their team in some way but there's a lot of basketball widom on this board. How about sharing some?

Again, I'm not referring to Knigts/Pride - just in general.

I'm not asking this question in regards to the Knights/Pride game. I'm an outsider and want to keep it that way.

But, I am interested in what you think the superior team ought to do when they've put their second string in there and the other team is still getting killed. I saw a team once that was up something like 52 to 0 halfway through the 2nd half. They put all their subs in and even started to limit their shots to pretty much 3's and it still didn't help. Now, I think the other team had given up and were not trying there best, too. What is the superior team supposed to do? Play with less than 5? Stall? Mess up on purpose? I would like to get some suggestions. I think no matter what you do, there can always be somebody who won't like what you tried and will accuse you of insulting their team in some way but there's a lot of basketball widom on this board. How about sharing some?

I agree. I don't see a "bad" guy in this discussion. Maybe one thing that could be done in these situations is to just stop advancing the score when it reaches a certain spread. Both teams keep playing hard...the score just doesn't change unless the spread difference changes.

Here is what I wrote above:

It obviously does not serve any purpose to intentionally run up the score by continuing to pressure or by keeping the starters in the game. It is demoralizing to the team on the losing end and the skills of the starters on the winning team are not being enhanced.

The dilemma is when your second team is far superior to the losing team's first team. What do you tell your second team kids after you have stopped pressuring? Do you tell them not to play 100% and try not to score? I would never tell kids not to give 100%. Giving 110% is a habitual way of playing.

I do not know what the circumstance was you are referring to. If the coach kept his/her first team in and continued to pressure, then that is senseless. If on the other hand, the score was run up because the second team played hard and kept scoring, then there is not much one can do about that.

It seems to me that when you enter a substate these days you had better be able to play or or else find a less competitive tournament that better fits the talents of your team.

I do not have first hand knowledge of the game in question but if you continue to pressure and press and wind up beating the opponent by 100 points then you have not managed the game in a sportsmanlike manner.

Edited by just_do_it

I agree. I don't see a "bad" guy in this discussion. Maybe one thing that could be done in these situations is to just stop advancing the score when it reaches a certain spread. Both teams keep playing hard...the score just doesn't change unless the spread difference changes.

I might be missing something, but I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean to stop keeping score on the scoreboard at a certain point spread but keeping track at the table?

The example I gave earlier of a team losing 52-0 occurred at an SRT. From what I understand the elite team asked if there would be a running clock if either team got up more than 20 (they had seen their opponent play before) but the tournament director said no running clocks in SRT's (He later changed his mind at halftime otherwise the score might have been worse than the Pride/Knight level). Seems to me if both teams agreed, then there should be running clocks or what ever both teams agree to. I would even go as far as not playing the game anymore and use the rest of the time for an instructional scrimmage (if both teams agree). That way both teams get something out of it.

Best thing, though, is to have an idea of what SRT level competiton is like before signing up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiffany should have picked another game to work on her press. Besides being unsportsmanlike, I cannot imagine her second team got anything out of it.

First of all...there was no choice in who she played. This was the first game of the the 14U AAU North Middle Substate. The opposing team should have selected the "B" league. You have to play the games as they come.

Secondly... there is a 30-second clock. What is she suppose to do... tell her kids to go out and give the ball to the other team for an easy lay-up so that the opposing team will feel good about her. Are you serious?

Thirdly... this game hurt them more than helped them. When they got to the Adidas Tournament, the girls were a little too cocky and went 3-2. They lost to two 15U teams... but could have won both if they had more focus.

When Tiifany's 2004 16U Team Pride team play The Stars that had Cait McMahon and all the greats, we beat them so badly for State that they held the ball for the entire 30-second clock at the end just to keep us from scoring 100 points.

.... so now what!?!?!

The Knights are based out of Pope John Paul II. As far as I know they are mostly a school team with a few exceptions.

One "problem" that can happen when a team pulls into a half court press, there are no defenders back when the steals take place. At least there are players back when a team presses full court.

CPGB06, you're probably right about them needing to play Division II. Going on what I know, they would be able to compete much better in D2.

First of all...there was no choice in who she played. This was the first game of the the 14U AAU North Middle Substate. The opposing team should have selected the "B" league. You have to play the games as they come.

Secondly... there is a 30-second clock. What is she suppose to do... tell her kids to go out and give the ball to the other team for an easy lay-up so that the opposing team will feel good about her. Are you serious?

Thirdly... this game hurt them more than helped them. When they got to the Adidas Tournament, the girls were a little too cocky and went 3-2. They lost to two 15U teams... but could have won both if they had more focus.

When Tiifany's 2004 16U Team Pride team play The Stars that had Cait McMahon and all the greats, we beat them so badly for State that they held the ball for the entire 30-second clock at the end just to keep us from scoring 100 points.

.... so now what!?!?!

CPG, I did not see the game but you said she worked on her press with the second team. I said that was a bad decision if that is what she did when up by over 30. I stand by that opinion. As for your other points, they are not a response to anything I posted.

Edited by just_do_it

The Knights are based out of Pope John Paul II. As far as I know they are mostly a school team with a few exceptions.

One "problem" that can happen when a team pulls into a half court press, there are no defenders back when the steals take place. At least there are players back when a team presses full court.

CPGB06, you're probably right about them needing to play Division II. Going on what I know, they would be able to compete much better in D2.