summer ball

unclecracker

can someone explain this logic?

you move your family to another school zone to play on a better team during the school year becuse the school you are zoned for has no chance at state. then the school team plans on having a summer team, yet you want nothing to do with it because you are more interested in winning than building a TEAM.

if your daughter is such a "star" why not have her go where she is zoned so she can stand out. typically, those that move bring excess baggage

when you play for a school, you play for a community

when you play for a travel team, you play for your ego

just mho

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different levels of travel teams. 16u and 18u Gold teams usually consist of elite players and play college exposure tournaments. Exposure teams are the best choice for a girl who wants to play in college.

Also, it is extremely hard for an elite player who is used to winning to play on a team that consist of girls who have never played competitive ball or never played at all. An example would be an elite catcher who plays on a high school team with a pitcher who throws several dirt balls every inning whose only pitch is a 30 mph ball right down the middle, an infield that has no idea how to field a bunt and a second baseman covering on the throw down to second who drops every ball thrown on a steal. Or a elite pitcher that has a catcher who drops and misses pitches and has no idea how to frame a pitch. A competitve serious player would rather play on winning team than be a star. Anyone who has watched a player like this spend a high school career building character can certainly understand why such a player would want to play with a team of girls of similar tallent in the summer.

And its not always about ego. Some girls want to play beyound high school.

Edited by keemom

There are different levels of travel teams. 16u and 18u Gold teams usually consist of elite players and play college exposure tournaments. Exposure teams are the best choice for a girl who wants to play in college.

Also, it is extremely hard for an elite player who is used to winning to play on a team that consist of girls who have never played competitive ball or never played at all. An example would be an elite catcher who plays on a high school team with a pitcher who throws several dirt balls every inning whose only pitch is a 30 mph ball right down the middle, an infield that has no idea how to field a bunt and a second baseman covering on the throw down to second who drops every ball thrown on a steal. Or a elite pitcher that has a catcher who drops and misses pitches and has no idea how to frame a pitch. A competitve serious player would rather play on winning team than be a star. Anyone who has watched a player like this spend a high school career building character can certainly understand why such a player would want to play with a team of girls of similar tallent in the summer.

Amen. Sister!!

you move your family to another school zone to play on a better team during the school year becuse the school you are zoned for has no chance at state. then the school team plans on having a summer team, yet you want nothing to do with it because you are more interested in winning than building a TEAM.

if your daughter is such a "star" why not have her go where she is zoned so she can stand out. typically, those that move bring excess baggage

just mho

That's a little harsh don't you think. If that is true, there sure are a lot of egomaniacs running around! :thumb:

Edited by sbafan

just mho

[/quote

You've got it exactly backwards. The baggage is with playing with a bunch of girls you've grown up with. And here's a little secret you should probably know...not all of these girls like each other. You can throw that community crap out the window. As the parent of a talented :thumb: player, my goal is to make sure my daughter gets the most out of her years of hard work and determination. I love to watch high school ball and I have the utmost respect for the players and coaches, but just like every local community in the world, the politics stink to high heaven. I'd much rather play with a group of girls who's goals are pretty much the same. Win, and have a hoot doing it. A little college money wouldn't hurt either.

That's a little harsh don't you think. If that is true, there sure are a lot of egomaniacs running around! :thumb:

I have played summer ball since i was 5. I just turned 17.I am looking to play in college ball. I am currently schedueled to play in Seattle,Chicago,Florida,Georgia,North Carolina,South Carolina, Ohio, and Colorado this summer. None of these tournaments are to boost my ego, but to get exposed to college coachs. I am currently talking to NC State, Georgia Southern, Houston, TNU, and many other smaller colleges.So the people that say that summer ball or travel ball is all about egos.. think again. Many girls dream big, outside of High School ball, very few get to play college level ball with just ther experience of High School ball. Granted , some high schools are in a very high competetive level of play. But for the girls that play on a not so agressive program, are probably there to start one. Building a school ball program is a very humbling experience, it shows how spoiled an A ball player can be. You really realize where you began. Edited by ajizzle414

I have played summer ball since i was 5. I just turned 17.I am looking to play in college ball. I am currently schedueled to play in Seattle,Chicago,Florida,Georgia,North Carolina,South Carolina, Ohio, and Colorado this summer. None of these tournaments are to boost my ego, but to get exposed to college coachs. I am currently talking to NC State, Georgia Southern, Houston, TNU, and many other smaller colleges.So the people that say that summer ball or travel ball is all about egos.. think again. Many girls dream big, outside of High School ball, very few get to play college level ball with just ther experience of High School ball. Granted , some high schools are in a very high competetive level of play. But for the girls that play on a not so agressive program, are probably there to start one. Building a school ball program is a very humbling experience, it shows how spoiled an A ball player can be. You really realize where you began.

Well said. I agree, if you want to go on and play at that next level you need to get exposed during summer ball and it is not about ego's. It is about getting a higher education and having some help paying for it by doing something you are good at and love. Very few high school coaches even offer to help, at least around the Knoxville area. I wish you luck this summer and will probably see you at some of the tournaments you listed. :thumb:

I couldn't agree with you more, I have played with my travel team for a considerably long time and have grown up with and learned to love the girls i play with with all my heart, and if my school started up an 18u travel team there is no way i would play on it. And my ego has nothing to do with playing summer ball it is more your heart and where it belongs in my case.

I couldn't agree with you more, I have played with my travel team for a considerably long time and have grown up with and learned to love the girls i play with with all my heart, and if my school started up an 18u travel team there is no way i would play on it. And my ego has nothing to do with playing summer ball it is more your heart and where it belongs in my case.

summer ball is where i got all the attention from college coaches.my school ball coach didnt help me do squat nor did she do anything for anyone else on the team that i know of. school ball is fun to play but for the most part its a joke.if you want to play college ball stay with or get on a good summer team anf have the biggest ego you can have and enjoy it.

If you have players who working toward playing in college there are several things you need to consider. It helps to have a highschool coach who is willing to do their part. College coaches do not call highschool coaches to find out about a players skills they want to know about character, dependability, leadership, can the player handle an academic schedule and a softball schedule? They talk to the school counselor about grades, ACT/SAT, class rank, and citizenship. If you have a highschool coach and counseling dept that will do this you are very lucky. We had this at the school where my daughter plays, they were very helpful.

As far as travel ball, if you have players who want to play at the next level exposure tournaments are a must. Some things you should remember about exposure tournaments: Before you sell the farm to go play in Colorado, California, Florida where ever be sure your players are willing to move away from home to play college ball. Some girls are ,some are not. Our travel team played in tournaments in Ohio, Kentucky, Florida and several girls were contacted by schools in those states but not one of them wanted to move that far away from home. Parents may want to see games and can't afford to travel to see their child play if they are 500+ miles away. Talk to your child and your travel ball coach, see if everyone is on the same page. It is very expensive to travel and play exposure tournaments. We have three players and one former player who will play in college next year but none of them will be more than 200 miles from home. Of course none are playing Div. I , but all are happy with their choices. Lots of things to consider and talk about, don't waste time and money find out what your child wants and go from there. Take it from someone who has been there and as they say done that. Just my thoughts didn't mean to run so long........

Edited by VTEC

If you have players who working toward playing in college there are several things you need to consider. It helps to have a highschool coach who is willing to do their part. College coaches do not call highschool coaches to find out about a players skills they want to know about character, dependability, leadership, can the player handle an academic schedule and a softball schedule? They talk to the school counselor about grades, ACT/SAT, class rank, and citizenship. If you have a highschool coach and counseling dept that will do this you are very lucky. We had this at the school where my daughter plays, they were very helpful.

As far as travel ball, if you have players who want to play at the next level exposure tournaments are a must. Some things you should remember about exposure tournaments: Before you sell the farm to go play in Colorado, California, Florida where ever be sure your players are willing to move away from home to play college ball. Some girls are ,some are not. Our travel team played in tournaments in Ohio, Kentucky, Florida and several girls were contacted by schools in those states but not one of them wanted to move that far away from home. Parents may want to see games and can't afford to travel to see their child play if they are 500+ miles away. Talk to your child and your travel ball coach, see if everyone is on the same page. It is very expensive to travel and play exposure tournaments. We have three players and one former player who will play in college next year but none of them will be more than 200 miles from home. Of course none are playing Div. I , but all are happy with their choices. Lots of things to consider and talk about, don't waste time and money find out what your child wants and go from there. Take it from someone who has been there and as they say done that. Just my thoughts didn't mean to run so long........

AMEN BROTHER VEry well said.