summer ball

unclecracker

Carrying your team as far as it can go could be a great motivator, too. What would be more impressive, an average team with one or two great players getting an upset or two in the postseason, finishing much higher than anyone thought and having memories they'll always cherish, or a stacked team with 15 topnotch 'A' players going to another state tournament and putting their trophies on the shelf alongside dozens of others they've stockpiled over the years?

I agree, having THE RING after sitting the bench for most of the year doesn't mean much. The memories, playing time, that's what it's all about. Our School has gone from the WORST team in the state to much better than avg. in the years we've been there. Don't get me wrong she didn't make the team what it was, it was good coaching, and a few players who love the game! I was told by our summer coach it was a mistake to send her to our school, she should play in the program that would put her in a AA or AAA school. He changed his mind after seeing her start her 6th grade year. Tuesday morning while she drove ME to school I asked "why do you play Softball?" Her answere was "Daddy,,, I love to play!" I had to ask, because I didn't want her to play for me or her mother, it had to be for herself. Playing time, memories, the accomplishments, I think that's what it's all about.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is seveal high schools in middle tennesse that never finish very well in the season. But have one or two A players on their team. The A players always stand out and its obivous they get upset because the simple plays are not made, If not for summer ball, there would be no way they would ever get seen by scouts or colleges. I know several of them, all of them tell there is now way they would move just to be on the hot shot teams. the biggest reason for not moving is , because these are my friends and i grew up with most of them. I coach several of these girls in summer ball, you can see it in their eyes, they are ready to play at the A level with A level players. :ph34r:

And to sum it up let the girls decide. If they want to play with their friends they grew up with and represent their community school ,let them. Go watch and support them. Enjoy it ,in a few short years they will be gone but you will have some great memories. If they want play exposure/travel ball and it's in the budget same thing, help them to reach their goals. Just be sure it's what your child wants not what you or your ego wants. I have three daughters two have played for their high schools, one will play in college next year and the youngest gave it up after 12U. My wife went into labor at a high school game with the youngest and I guess after all the high school and seven or eight years of travel ball she was burned out. So guess what, she loves to fish so we fish. The boat sat in the garage for six years because of travel ball, but we are making up for lost time now. Love em, support em, let them be themselves you will be suprised how much fun you can have........

I DON'T THINK IT IS ALL ABOUT EGO. (MAYBE TO SOME PLAYERS THOUGH). WHEN YOU COME FROM A H/S TEAM THAT DOESN'T DO WELL AND THERE IS NO MOTIVATION FROM PLAYERS OR PARENTS, YOU NEED YOUR SUMMER BALL TEAMS TO GIVE YOU THAT MOTIVATION. SOME GIRLS WOULD JUST GIVE UP. SUMMER BALL TEAMS ARE NOT ONLY FUN, BUT CHALLENGING. MY CHILD HAS PLAYED ON ONE FOR YEARS AND LOVES THE TEAM. OUR H/S TEAM CALLS IT QUITS IN THE SUMMER AND THEY NEED TO CONTINUE TO GET BETTER IF THEY WANT TO PLAY COLLEGE BALL AND SUMMER TEAMS HELP THAT. ALSO, THERE ARE NOT ONLY A AND AA TEAMS OUT THERE, THERE ARE B TEAMS ALSO. SO SINCE THEY PLAY DOWN A LEVEL DOES THAT GIVE THEM A BIG EGO OR JUST A SMALL ONE? TO ME AS LONG AS THEY ARE PLAYING AND LOVE THE GAME IS ALL THAT REALLY COUNTS. ASK YOUR DAUGHTER WHAT SHE THINKS IS MOST IMPORTANT.