Stern goes power happy again

Ron Artest was suspended for a elbow that he gave Manu Ginobili in Game 1 of the series. He wasn't given a technical or a flagrant foul for it. The replays show that Manu contributed by acting as if it was a violent elbow, guess his soccer acting skills came in handy. So how does this warrant a suspension? Don't ask me. I guess the league feels they need to keep harassing Artest till he leaves the league. He has been on good behavior since he arrived in Sacremento and the league has to go do this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dare_2_dream

Ron Artest was suspended for a elbow that he gave Manu Ginobili in Game 1 of the series. He wasn't given a technical or a flagrant foul for it. The replays show that Manu contributed by acting as if it was a violent elbow, guess his soccer acting skills came in handy. So how does this warrant a suspension? Don't ask me. I guess the league feels they need to keep harassing Artest till he leaves the league. He has been on good behavior since he arrived in Sacremento and the league has to go do this.

I didnt see the elbow that Ron gave Manu but i did see when Ron went after the ball and drilled duncan in the head and papa got mad and yelled at ron. stern is getting out of hand.

Guest dare_2_dream

That's what happens when you set yourself up as a trouble-maker. People will always think the worst of you. Have not seen the elbow, nor could I care less, but all of Artest's problems are self-inflicted. He's been on double-secret probation since the whole mess last year.

So your saying since someone's rep is that of a trouble maker, they deserved to be suspended? you havent seen it so how can you make the call? your worse than stern.

So your saying since someone's rep is that of a trouble maker, they deserved to be suspended? you havent seen it so how can you make the call? your worse than stern.

Ok, my original post was to play devil's advocate.

I just saw the highlight, and yes, it was an intentional elbow, and yes a elbow to the head is worth a suspension. They were tangled up on one side of the screen and when they got through he threw the elbow at him. You don't look directly at a guy, throw an elbow, and claim it wasn't intentional. It wasn't a elbow to the gut, it was a elbow to the head.

And yes, when people have constatly done stuff then they are going to be more likely targeted than others. Sorry, his problems are of his own making.

I just saw the highlight, and yes, it was an intentional elbow, and yes a elbow to the head is worth a suspension. They were tangled up on one side of the screen and when they got through he threw the elbow at him. You don't look directly at a guy, throw an elbow, and claim it wasn't intentional. It wasn't a elbow to the gut, it was a elbow to the head.

And yes, when people have constatly done stuff then they are going to be more likely targeted than others. Sorry, his problems are of his own making.

I agree,he brings it on himself.

Guest dare_2_dream

He elbowed Manu, the most annoying basketball player in the NBA. Manu runs his mouth and then runs and cries when someone steps up to him. He deserved it, I applaud Ron.

He elbowed Manu, the most annoying basketball player in the NBA. Manu runs his mouth and then runs and cries when someone steps up to him. He deserved it, I applaud Ron.

You may, but he still threw an elbow to his head. That warrants a suspension. Nevermind the fact that it's a playoff game.

You may, but he still threw an elbow to his head. That warrants a suspension. Nevermind the fact that it's a playoff game.

Why didnt Manu get suspended for the elbow he threw and landed on Artest, that sent Artest down for a couple of minutes in the beginning of the game? Cause the leauge is out to get Artest. Even the Spurs admitted that after they heard about the suspension, one that Manu didn't even think Artest deserved.

Why didnt Manu get suspended for the elbow he threw and landed on Artest, that sent Artest down for a couple of minutes in the beginning of the game? Cause the leauge is out to get Artest. Even the Spurs admitted that after they heard about the suspension, one that Manu didn't even think Artest deserved.

Maybe not. But, why do people with arrest records get harsher treatments the second time around, even if what they did wasn't bad? Why did Julian Tavarez get a much harsher punishement last year for the dirty hat and his actions than what it actually warranted? Because in both situations they people involved had strikes against them.

Like it or not, it's how life works. Maybe not in Fairview (actually I know first hand it does in Fairview) or Martin, but it's how it goes. Once you screw up (and can we at least admit Artest has done plenty to warrant this status) then you are automatically on the "bad list" for the rest of your career or life.

Your issue is that you don't like Stern, and he could find a cure for cancer and you would find a problem with it. The NBA is a business first and foremost, and unfortunately businesses have rules, and the boses have the final say about the rules and how to enforece them. Factor is that the NBAPA is very weak because of players' actions, and Stern is basically dictator. And I may be worng, but I have yet to hear of a grevience or any action by the Player's Assocation defendinf Artest.

Just to prove my point even more that this was justified......

Updated: April 25, 2006, 1:31 AM ET

Artest suspension dictated by NBA's rulesBy Marc Stein

ESPN.com

Archive

It was on the eve of the NBA playoffs that Ron Artest announced that his Sacramento Kings were "going to shock a lot of people."

So far . . .

They have and they haven't.

After finishing the season with a 27-14 flourish after acquiring Artest, Sacramento shocked us all -- San Antonio included -- when they slinked back to the visitors' locker room with a 34-point halftime deficit in Game 1 against the Spurs.

Then came the non-surprise.

The second half was exceedingly rough and Artest, with a backdrop of loud told-you-so's back in Indianapolis, was especially chippy.

When a game gets out of hand, history says that Artest will soon follow ... and the forearm he landed on Ginobili in the third quarter of San Antonio's 122-88 romp was not the first swipe Artest took in the quarter. There was also a clip to the back of Tim Duncan's head before that and a takedown of Tony Parker.

So you can't be too surprised that Artest was hit with a one-game suspension Monday. Artest's new supporters in Sactown will undoubtedly wail about Ron-Ron being punished only because he's Ron-Ron, and point out that he hasn't flirted with any serious trouble since becoming a King in late January, but not me. This was a classic case of Artest, a great frontrunner and not so great when his team is unraveling, began that second half in a retaliatory mood.

It's fairly evident that the league office wants to take a strong stance on disciplinary matters from the start of the playoffs, as confirmed by the one-game suspension Miami's Udonis Haslem also received Monday for firing his mouthpiece at referee Joey Crawford in the Heat's Game 1 victory over Chicago on Monday.

In Artest's case, though, this was about more than message-sending. The rules clearly state that intentional contact above the shoulders will result in a one-game suspension. For anyone.

Deliberate contact above the shoulders in a 30-point game?

That pretty much seals the deal. Whatever your name and history is.

The league undoubtedly deemed Artest's hit to be a cheap shot -- after an earlier cheap shot -- that left them no choice, even though Ginobili wasn't injured and even though the encounter didn't escalate into something bigger.

The angry Kings and their loyal subjects believe that Artest, because of his history, gets less leeway than anyone else in the game. And they're right.

But there's a difference between the elbow Artest took from Ginobili on the game's opening possession, which required three stitches to close a cut on Artest's lip, and the third-quarter extracurriculars. The league deemed Ginobili's elbow to be unintentional.

However . . .

In spite of all of the above, I'm holding off on the Same Ol' Artest analysis. He's been too good for the Kings until now to be written off this quickly.

I can't pretend to tell you, furthermore, that I have a conclusive feel for how he'll respond from here.

Who does?

Who knows? Maybe, in a weird way, this makes the Kings even more dangerous in Game 2. They've sure got nothing to lose now on Tuesday night and are bound to play looser.

Who knows? Maybe Artest comes back from suspension and dominates Game 3 with a King-sized chip on his shoulder. Maybe he'll be so amped, fueled by the roaring denizens of Arco Arena, that Artest won't even notice the nagging pain in his sprained right thumb.

This much I do know: Artest's history of volatility is not why Sacramento placed only 15th last week in my 16-to-1 ranking of each playoff team's championship chances. The Kings were 15th because they were playing San Antonio in Round 1, simple as that.

Artest comported himself so well post-trade and made such an impact defensively that, until Saturday's lapse, I had almost forgotten about his dark side.

Almost.

Marc Stein

Edited by Solomon