MTSCA All Middle Tennessee

coachd

I would like to say thank you to all of the people who have become involved in the MTSCA. This organization started out as a dream of 5 coaches from different parts of the mid-state to help promote softball to a higher degree. In the first meeting the main thing that was discuss was to promote all levels of high school softball (A,AA, AAA and private schools) and to do our best to help all girls to achieve some type of recognition from softball if it be from playing or academics. Personally I wanted to see more single A schools getting more exposure than they were receiving from the Nashville media

Another issue was how to get the coaches involved like the coaches are in football and baseball. We mailed out letters and made phone calls to EVERY school in the Mid-State and asked the coach to be apart of the MTSCA. Every year if a school is not a member, we mail to their school a hard copy letter inviting them to become a member of the MTSCA. Every year we have had coaches speaking to every TSSAA rules meeting where every school has to attend inviting the coaches to join the MTSCA. The TSSAA has been very supportive of our efforts. Of course like anything we have had to have dead lines for schools to join. This year it was up until mid January to become a member and we had to put a cutoff date on the membership.

We have offered clinics to help ALL coaches become a better coach and listen to their peers about how they are doing things. We have had college coaches and professionals speak at these clinics. We have had the TSSAA come and have a rules meeting and have a question and answer sessions.

We have put on tournaments to give scholarships to girls who want to continue their education. Last year we were able to give $5,000 dollars to 10 girls.

We have given away tee shirts and plaques to the All-Academic teams which is over 150 girls.

We are having our first Ky-Tn All-Star game this year.

The question was asked how we picked these players this year. We ASKED EVERY coach who was winning their district to come and represent their district on the selection process as long as they were a member of the MTSCA. Now the question is did all of the coaches attend. The answer is NO but they were asked to help elect these players. We have almost three times more AAA teams than we do single A schools. From day one I wanted to see these coaches become and be apart of the MTSCA but for whatever reason the single A coaches are not competing in our tournament or clinics or membership.

I do want people to understand that we are trying to do our best and every time we have a meeting the member coaches are contacted and we place it on Coacht. These meetings are always open to the public to attend and you are welcome to attend a regular meeting or clinic Have we made mistakes sure we have but did we do it on purpose to hurt a child or a coach the answer is NO and it will never happen as long as I have anything to do with it.

If you have any comments that you will like for me to try and address please call me at school 615-641-5400 ext 398 or home number is 615-683-8354 or cell number is 615-489-3687 I will do my best to answer your questions. But do encourage you coach to become a member and to attend our meetings! They wll make a difference.

Coach John Conditt

Many of the participants to the discussions on these boards, like myself, have been rec. league or travel ball coaches for many years. It would probably help your organization to open some of its meetings to some of the travel coaches. I inquired about membership and was told it was only for high school coaches. I'm not saying that a travel coach is anymore qualified at selecting these girls, but could offer much input. We often are with these girls as travel coaches, as much or more than their high school coaches. I know this isn't going to solve all the problems and you'll never make everyone happy, but it is something to consider. There are many of us that would be more than happy to offer nominations if given the chance.

On a different note, I'm sure the single A coaches don't make the salary of the triple AAA coaches so could the membership dues be an issue for some of your one A coaches?? Just curious....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our membership is $25.00 for head coach and $15.00 for assistant coaches for a year. This includes membership, free admission to the coach’s clinic, able to nominate players for All-Academic, and the All-Mid Stateteam, Ky-Tn All-Stars and to coach in the North/South All-Star game plus if you team goes to state be the coaches for the Ky-Tn game. If coaches are coaching for the money they better take a course in 101 money management.

Next year we are planning adding a $10,000 accident insurance policy for coaches. We may have to go up to $30.00 dollars head coach and $20.00 for assistants but still good bargains consider what we are playing for gas these days!

We are trying to come up with better ideas each year to make this as professional as possible.

We have said along this is for high school coaches, and for high school communities. Travel teams have kids from all over the state and we are only Middle Tennessee coaches and players.

Could travel team coaches come to our clinics and meeting sure they can but we started this for high school only. I think it would be great for the travel teams get together and start their on association but don’t think they would be covering as many players as we are. This organization isn’t only about playing the game but academics as well. I guess my question to some people why there isn’t soccer, track, bowling, cross country, swimming, etc because TSSAA sponsors these as well? This organization could have been started before we did but there was no one really to take it and run with it and now a few are throwing rocks because the way it is being run. Like I said before I would enjoy talking to anyone just give me a call and we can try to answer your questions.

Oh by the way seems strange to me that no one has question the All-Academic team???

Our membership is $25.00 for head coach and $15.00 for assistant coaches for a year. This includes membership, free admission to the coach's clinic, able to nominate players for All-Academic, and the All-Mid Stateteam, Ky-Tn All-Stars and to coach in the North/South All-Star game plus if you team goes to state be the coaches for the Ky-Tn game. If coaches are coaching for the money they better take a course in 101 money management.

Next year we are planning adding a $10,000 accident insurance policy for coaches. We may have to go up to $30.00 dollars head coach and $20.00 for assistants but still good bargains consider what we are playing for gas these days!

We are trying to come up with better ideas each year to make this as professional as possible.

We have said along this is for high school coaches, and for high school communities. Travel teams have kids from all over the state and we are only Middle Tennessee coaches and players.

Could travel team coaches come to our clinics and meeting sure they can but we started this for high school only. I think it would be great for the travel teams get together and start their on association but don't think they would be covering as many players as we are. This organization isn't only about playing the game but academics as well. I guess my question to some people why there isn't soccer, track, bowling, cross country, swimming, etc because TSSAA sponsors these as well? This organization could have been started before we did but there was no one really to take it and run with it and now a few are throwing rocks because the way it is being run. Like I said before I would enjoy talking to anyone just give me a call and we can try to answer your questions.

Oh by the way seems strange to me that no one has question the All-Academic team???

This response appears to me that your on the defensive. My post was not intended to offend you. I posed the money issue as a question since I had no idea what your dues are. I now know that shouldn't be an issue for any coaches. As for an association for travel coaches.....surely you jest. Most don't get along well enough to tolerate each other for a weekend. (I'm only kidding here.) I was not casting stones at your organization, I was only making suggestions. A simple rejection of those suggestions would of sufficed.

An all-academic team, I would assume is a lot less subjective to criticism. Either you make the grades or you don't. :thumb:

I am going to lock this..I think everyone has pretty much had their say from members or the organization to non-members...yea they may have made some mistakes, I was a member of this organization when I coached softball in TN, from attending some of the meetings and going to the clinic, I can tell you that this is a first rate organizaton...and encourage your high school and junior high softball coaches to join this organization, the more members the better, that means the more girls that can be honored for the on the field and off the field achievements

Edited by coach15