Dobyns Bennett vs Farragut @DB

bud

Vandy, as I said above, your "accurate prediction" of our run ending at the sectional level came true because of the oddity that is baseball......THIS year. Other years we have been good but Farragut/Halls have just been better than us, period. This year, your loss against Karns put us in a one game sudden death against the best arm you have, and one of the best arms in East Tennessee. He was 1 run and 4 feet better. There are no other parks that our best hitter could hit a potential walk-off 2 run bomb 395 feet to dead center and it just be an out. Still, "that's baseball." To win a championship, things have to go your way late. They didn't for D-B at the sectional level, so they are done. It reminds me of 2000 when D-B had the fastest team in the state in football. They reached the semi-finals and played Gerald Riggs/Red Bank in an absolute monsoon rain that negated the speed advantage. D-B lost by a touchdown. That's what I mean, things have to go your way late to win it all. Farragut will have to find a way now to win at the double elimination level when other arms have to pitch. That's the anatomy of winning a title I suppose.

The Maryville Rebel football team a couple years ago overcame six turnovers to claim yet another state championships ring...point is, you don't have to catch all the breaks to win championships. You've got to have a few guys/COACHES who will step above the rest, making the plays when needed. D-B did that, but let's face it, Farragut did it a little bit better. Catapano is as good as they come for high school pitchers and you almost beat him, so take what you learned from this game and apply it next year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Maryville Rebel football team a couple years ago overcame six turnovers to claim yet another state championships ring...point is, you don't have to catch all the breaks to win championships. You've got to have a few guys/COACHES who will step above the rest, making the plays when needed. D-B did that, but let's face it, Farragut did it a little bit better. Catapano is as good as they come for high school pitchers and you almost beat him, so take what you learned from this game and apply it next year.

This is true....BTW...how many hits did DB have in the game...we managed to get 7 hits in three games against Catapano in three games the last two years...He is definately as good as they come...personally i think he is up there near Waldrop...now i may get some criticism for saying that but Cat is a hard throwing lefty that has some good junk and a decent..lol...fastball...jk about the decent part...and over the next few years at NC he will prolly be able to throw even harder when he is done...but that is just my opinion on the whole deal.

This is true....BTW...how many hits did DB have in the game...we managed to get 7 hits in three games against Catapano in three games the last two years...He is definately as good as they come...personally i think he is up there near Waldrop...now i may get some criticism for saying that but Cat is a hard throwing lefty that has some good junk and a decent..lol...fastball...jk about the decent part...and over the next few years at NC he will prolly be able to throw even harder when he is done...but that is just my opinion on the whole deal.

thats a rough statement... both are great but thats hard to say....

You seem pretty mature for a young guy who just graduated. Perhaps more mature than many who post on here. As you form your opinions, consider this: D-B is the winningest High School program in the state in football, baseball, and basketball. I believe basketball leads the nation in total wins. Our baseball coach is definitely the winningest coach in the state, but I'm not rock solid sure on our total baseball standing. I believe we're number one in that one as well. Understand that we are THE red letter game for everyone we play. As soon as we lose, the gremlins come out and call us chokers, overrated, East Tennessee champs, etc. Many don't appreciate the fact that history or not, we are still in East Tennessee. That means less population, lower minority population, and often less overall competition to prepare for the giants down-state. Our people are enormously proud of who we are, but the fact is state championships will always be very hard to come by for anyone in East Tennessee. I say that with a begrudging tip of the cap to Science Hill for their hoops run in the early 90's. So, anytime we lose, expect a certain defensive mentality to arise from our faithful who are used to everyone waiting for our demise so they can trash us. You haven't, and have pointed that out consistently. However, others have, and will continue even when we do win a state title. Then, it will be "D-B recruits."

DB has to win a big game in the last decade to be the team to beat... always has a great overall team, but never puts the exclamation point when it is needed..

To set the record straight. Most of DB's wins in all sports have come in the "modern day" not "back in the day".

Well, maybe...but in baseball, over the last 5 (10?) years there's been Farragut and then everybody else...and D-B is in that "everybody else" group.

Vandy, as I said above, your "accurate prediction" of our run ending at the sectional level came true because of the oddity that is baseball......THIS year. Other years we have been good but Farragut/Halls have just been better than us, period. This year, your loss against Karns put us in a one game sudden death against the best arm you have, and one of the best arms in East Tennessee. He was 1 run and 4 feet better. There are no other parks that our best hitter could hit a potential walk-off 2 run bomb 395 feet to dead center and it just be an out. Still, "that's baseball." To win a championship, things have to go your way late. They didn't for D-B at the sectional level, so they are done. It reminds me of 2000 when D-B had the fastest team in the state in football. They reached the semi-finals and played Gerald Riggs/Red Bank in an absolute monsoon rain that negated the speed advantage. D-B lost by a touchdown. That's what I mean, things have to go your way late to win it all. Farragut will have to find a way now to win at the double elimination level when other arms have to pitch. That's the anatomy of winning a title I suppose.

I waited quite awhile to post this because your closing shot here is just what others were saying about DB! You got beat by a TEAM! Rob pitched a fair game by his standards and DB could muster just 3 hits! You tried to imply that Farragut had only one pitcher and they couldn't win at state since Rob could only pitch a couple of games.....Now that the smoke has cleared and the proof is there, the Admirals used 7 different pitchers at the spring fling to give up 6 runs in 6 games! To imply that they didn't have pitching was an unfounded shot and I'm quite glad you were proven wrong! My impulse when I first read your post was to tell you to ask Vandy about the two losses they had to farragut when Rob wasn't pitching...Not only did you sell the 06 team short, you are probably underesimating a staff that will grow and prove to be just as strong next year (albeit less a Division 1 signee!) Good luck to DB, but don't look back 'cause the Admirals will always be there!

Great post, Hozr!! While Catapano certainly helped carry the Admirals far in the post-season (see my other post just now), folks shouldn't forget the contributions of Bryan Powell (shutting down a very, very good South Doyle team in the AAAD4 tournament; and pitching to Collierville in a 3-0 L with a strike zone not over the plate!!) Also Freshman LHP Cooper with a 5-0 win over Collierville to keep the Ads alive in Murfreesboro. And Michael Joseph with a huge pickoff in the 3-2 elimination win over Ravenwood!!...... Should I continue?

Hozr's right!! It was a TEAM championship. David Reynolds and Ty Nelson hitting the ball all over the ballyard. Curt Powell diving for base hits at 1B. Cade Stallings playing like a veteran at 3B. Solid defense all week. Many contributed to the Championship!!!!

I waited quite awhile to post this because your closing shot here is just what others were saying about DB! You got beat by a TEAM! Rob pitched a fair game by his standards and DB could muster just 3 hits! You tried to imply that Farragut had only one pitcher and they couldn't win at state since Rob could only pitch a couple of games.....Now that the smoke has cleared and the proof is there, the Admirals used 7 different pitchers at the spring fling to give up 6 runs in 6 games! To imply that they didn't have pitching was an unfounded shot and I'm quite glad you were proven wrong! My impulse when I first read your post was to tell you to ask Vandy about the two losses they had to farragut when Rob wasn't pitching...Not only did you sell the 06 team short, you are probably underesimating a staff that will grow and prove to be just as strong next year (albeit less a Division 1 signee!) Good luck to DB, but don't look back 'cause the Admirals will always be there!

haha... they dont have to look back because they have always been in front of DB

Yeah......Probably not everyone, but we are for 95%. Who would that red letter team be for South Doyle there jackit ?

In baseball, year-in and year-out, for S-D I'd bet it's going to be Farragut and Bearden way ahead of D-B. Waaaaayyy ahead.

Given what Farragut's done over the last few years, you'd think they'd be a "red-letter" day for S-D; and if they're a red-letter day, D-B must be something like a green-letter day. Let's imagine: who's the red-letter day on your schedule, the 3-time state champion (and former national champion) who's in your district, or a team in a different region from 120 miles away? Yeah, you bet, I'd sure focus on the team from a different region 120 miles away. I might even play my frosh against that red-letter team that's in my district in order to prepare for D-B.

Yeah, right.

Perhaps D-B is the red-letter team for 95% of some teams, somewhere, but I don't think that, as good as they are, they rate that high in the Knox County area. I'd place them something like sixth on the red-letter chart, behind Farragut, S-D, Halls, Bearden, Gibbs, and Loudon. And I'm probably leaving somebody out. Seriously, when it came to tournament time, D-B couldn't beat the team that finished fourth in the regular season in D4AAA, right?

Would you give it up already??? This is just the stuff us DB fans are talking about.....look at these ignorant posts after two weeks you are still talking about Farragut beating DB. I'm very dissapointed at the last two posts especially dissing DB like that. You have it comming.