D II State

godawgsblue

My prediction for today: McCallie over MBA easily then Baylor over MUS in a long tough match, like this: 1. Bo over Lang in 3

2. Heflin over Onken

3. Tanz over Watson in 3

4. Orlando over Addington

5. Wills over Gammon

And it goes down to doubles:

1. Lang and Heflin over Bo and Tanz

2. Baylor over MUS: I know Julian plays two doubles, but I'm not sure who he plays with because they played him with Tanz at regions, and then I know Watson plays two doubls for MUS, but he played with Heflin at regions... regardless, Baylor has the edge in that I think.

Baylor wins 4-3.

Then in a Baylor vs. McCallie final my prediction is this:

In singles:

1. Bo over Charlie

2. Julian over Tariq

3. Wes surprises Tanz

4. Orlando over Pare

5. Henry over Gammon

Comes down to doubs again:

1. Bo and Tanz over Charlie and Wes (not finished though)

2. Julian and whoever over Pare and Henry

Baylor wins 4-2 and is crowned Division II state champs, sadly.

I'm not from Baylor, McCallie, MUS, or MBA... that is just a prediction.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction for today: McCallie over MBA easily then Baylor over MUS in a long tough match, like this: 1. Bo over Lang in 3

2. Heflin over Onken

3. Tanz over Watson in 3

4. Orlando over Addington

5. Wills over Gammon

And it goes down to doubles:

1. Lang and Heflin over Bo and Tanz

2. Baylor over MUS: I know Julian plays two doubles, but I'm not sure who he plays with because they played him with Tanz at regions, and then I know Watson plays two doubls for MUS, but he played with Heflin at regions... regardless, Baylor has the edge in that I think.

Baylor wins 4-3.

Then in a Baylor vs. McCallie final my prediction is this:

In singles:

1. Bo over Charlie

2. Julian over Tariq

3. Wes surprises Tanz

4. Orlando over Pare

5. Henry over Gammon

Comes down to doubs again:

1. Bo and Tanz over Charlie and Wes (not finished though)

2. Julian and whoever over Pare and Henry

Baylor wins 4-2 and is crowned Division II state champs, sadly.

I'm not from Baylor, McCallie, MUS, or MBA... that is just a prediction.

Good call on the semifinal.

McCallie 4, Montgomery Bell Academy 0

Singles: Charlie Ramsay (McCallie) def. Adam Baker (MBA) 6-4, 6-4; Tariq Ismail (McCallie) def. Nick Arnant (MBA) 6-2, 6-1; Wes Nelson (McCallie) vs. Roger Briggs (MBA) 6-4, 3-5, DNF; Marc Pare (McCallie) def. Eli Gay (MBA) 6-2, 6-0; David Henry (McCallie) def. Richard Brunsting (MBA) 6-2, 6-2.

Baylor 4, Memphis University School 3

Singles: Bo Seal (Baylor) def. William Lang (MUS) 6-4, 6-3; Julian Onken (Baylor) def. Spencer Heflin (MUS) 7-6(3), 6-4; Watson George (MUS) def. Tanz Kane (Baylor) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1; Alex Adaington (MUS) def. Orlando Lourenco (Baylor) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2; Will Carter (MUS) def. Jimmy Epps (Baylor) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2.

Doubles: Bo Seal/Tanz Kane (Baylor) def. William Lang/Spencer Heflin (MUS) 8-4; Julian Onken/Lee Gammon (Baylor) def. Watson George/Will Carter (MUS) 8-6.

Hope you miss on finals but it looks very possible if not probable.

Edited by soccerpro1

Guest Cutters Crazies

Bo beat Charlie in 3 sets....Bo was up 5-2 third set and started cramping...he received a time warning for in between points and down 30-40 the ref told him to get to the line in 5 seconds and he couldn't make it there due to cramps....so Charlie gets to 5-3 and then he starts cramping..with both players cramping badly Charlie is unable to put the ball in the court due to cramps down 3-5 and loses 6-3....not sure about the other matches but thats the update I got on that match.

My prediction was wrong in the championship. Due to some serious fatigue and great play, McCallie won the DII state championship 4-2 over Baylor.

Here is how it went:

Bo beat Charlie in 3 like cutters said with both cramping

Tariq beat Julian in 3

Wes beat Tanz in 3

Orlando was up 4-3 in the third when he had forfeit because of severe cramping. He couldn't even get off the court, and was taken off by an ambulance.

Lee Gammon beat Henry 4 and 2

So it came down to doubs where:

Henry and Pare beat McGregor Wallis(in place of Orlando) and Jimmy Epps 8-3

Congrats to McCallie, the 2006 DII State Champs

Guest Cutters Crazies

They obviously had the longer first round matchup....if it wasn't for cramps they would have won probably. It was EXTREMELY hot out there but Baylor played later in the day so still kind of puzzling how two players got cramps.

Sounds like the Baylor folks were upset about the format.

Is it not typical for players to play two matches in one day?

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_86379.asp

Maybe they weren't in shape or not used to playing outside.

Sounds like a little bit of sour grapes since they felt like they were a lock for DII state title.

The format used at the tournament has been unchanged for at least the last 16 years.

These guys go to weekend tournaments and only play one match a day?

Like enall said, it has been this way for years. Maybe it is a problem but it needs to be dealt with in the off-season not by parents after their kid gets a cramp and is dehydrated.

They knew what the weather was going to be and they knew the format and the knew it would be outside. Did the Baylor training staff recommend hydration the day before? How about some bananas?

Still sounds like sour grapes to me but I am not a parent of a high school athlete and maybe if my kid was supposed to win and didn't, I would feel the same way.

If they play dbls or singles they will play two matches on Thursday as well. (assuming they win)

Edited by mtnman

Guest Cutters Crazies

I was out there during the heat of the day...theres nothing you can do to prepare for the first real heat of the summer like that. Drink as much as u want but when it hasn't been hot like that all year you aren't used to it. I can understand why it happened. I would like the tournament over two days as well.

This match turned into a war of attrition more than who was the better team. More paramedics out there than players

Edited by Cutters Crazies

I was out there during the heat of the day...theres nothing you can do to prepare for the first real heat of the summer like that. Drink as much as u want but when it hasn't been hot like that all year you aren't used to it. I can understand why it happened. I would like the tournament over two days as well.

This match turned into a war of attrition more than who was the better team. More paramedics out there than players

I agree Cutters. That match was not about who was the better team... It was about who didn't cramp haha as bad as that sounds. I think we all agree that if it was played on a different day, Baylor would have won. With that said though, McCallie is the 2006 DII state champions and congrats to them. By the way cutters, congrats on the state championship. Well done. I've got to admit, after seeing you all play Bearden in Murfeesboro about a month ago I didn't think you all had it in you to win state, but you definitely proved me wrong. You all obviously took that loss to Bearden as way to get better, and you obviously got better. Congrats and good luck next year. I hope we can do that thing in Murfeesboro like we did this year, except I hope it won't rain this time.