When Is A School Guilty Of Recruiting?

There would also be enough for more than one division in the sports other than football. I really believe it's been kept to one division to scare some schools into not joining Division II.

That doesn't make sense. TSSAA board of control sets those things with feedback from member schools. If they wanted them out, they would be building the divisions in an attempt to make them more attractive.

As for sports like baseball, etc, where there are more games than in football, be creative with the scheduling, play district games on weekends, schedule doubleheaders, only play one district game per year per opponent. Play your local opponents on weekdays. I think I saw Polk County was playing a couple of Chattanooga teams in softball or baseball, at one of the Chattanooga team's school.

D1 privates already have creative schedules with out of town tournaments on weekends and local opponents generally scheduled during the week - just like public schools. Their schedules look exactly like publics.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't just a 2 hour trip on occasion. It will be almost weekly for every sport. Beyond that, why wouldn't they want to compete with kids locally too? Their families pay taxes and deserve to participate in state sanctioned events like everyone else.

Stay in the TSSAA when the split occurs (if it ever does and please remember that I also support a merit system) and you can participate in the state sanctioned events. I would assume that the TSSAA would, if the privates stayed in post-theoretical split, allow them to play non-private schools. That only brings the issue of travel to the table in terms of district/regional regular season games and tournaments. Private schools in the intermediary areas (Jackson, the plateau, etc.) would possibly have some increased travel, but those in Memphis/Shelby Co, Nashville, Chatanooga, and Knoxville should not be overly burdened with travel because of the number of teams that suround them.

Stay in the TSSAA when the split occurs (if it ever does and please remember that I also support a merit system) and you can participate in the state sanctioned events. I would assume that the TSSAA would, if the privates stayed in post-theoretical split, allow them to play non-private schools. That only brings the issue of travel to the table in terms of district/regional regular season games and tournaments. Private schools in the intermediary areas (Jackson, the plateau, etc.) would possibly have some increased travel, but those in Memphis/Shelby Co, Nashville, Chatanooga, and Knoxville should not be overly burdened with travel because of the number of teams that suround them.

I'm glad there are others that support the idea of a merit system. I think if a merit system is put in place, the only people that will be unhappy will be the Trousdales, South Pitts, and Alcoas of the world. And I think they would be able to drum up enough ground support to stop a merit system ... even though it is by far the fairest of all the plans as it evens the playing field for all schools - public, private, magnet, open-zoned.

The issue from a "state-sanctioned" standpoint with a separate public/private championship ... is that the privates aren't being allowed to participate at the public level ... the level at which they pay taxes and expect to participate. That is kind of what is at the heart of the discussion with the latest BA v. TSSAA filings. They are being forced to participate in another class by a state sponsored organization. Man, did the TSSAA open up a serious can of worms.

"There would also be enough for more than one division in the sports other than football. I really believe it's been kept to one division to scare some schools into not joining Division II. "

"That doesn't make sense. TSSAA board of control sets those things with feedback from member schools. "

as i remember it (subject to the vagaries of an old person's memory) the D-2 requested an increase in the number of divisions (a very reasonable request) and the tssaa, with NO d-2 representation, rejected it.

i still think it was a shameful thing for tssaa to do.

as i remember it (subject to the vagaries of an old person's memory) the D-2 requested an increase in the number of divisions (a very reasonable request) and the tssaa, with NO d-2 representation, rejected it.

i still think it was a shameful thing for tssaa to do.

I agree ... very shameful. And exactly why I said that whole scenario stated previously doesn't make sense. If they were trying to make D2 look more attractive to the D1 privates, then they would be doing so by allowing multiple classifications for sports other than football within D2. By not allowing D2 to have multiple classes, they are kind of instigating tension as opposed to fostering a better system for all.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

You guys talk about this all the time and I'm curious as to what makes a school guilty of recruiting???? Private or Public.

Don't name schools just tell us all what is it that you consider recruiting.

There seems to be many Gurus on this topic in this forum.

from the private perspective, (imo) the only thing that would make a school guilty of recruiting is if they completely bypass all of their stated criteria for both admission and financial aid in the case of an athlete (or some other selected sub group). If a private school "representative" contacts someone for whatever reason (academic ability, athletic ability, underrepresented minority, fine arts ability, family wealth/ability to donate big $$ to the school), and encourages them to apply, then they've done nothing wrong, so long as that inidividual is treated no differently from every other applicant. If the school bends its admissions standards and sends someone to the "top of the pile" just because they are an athlete, then they are guilty of recruiting.

developer, I have to say I'll be shocked if there is some sort of reconciliation between publics and privates following the BA ruling. There may have been a time and place when that was possible, but IMO the atmosphere is a lot more hostile than it was 10 years ago when this thing started...

developer, I have to say I'll be shocked if there is some sort of reconciliation between publics and privates following the BA ruling. There may have been a time and place when that was possible, but IMO the atmosphere is a lot more hostile than it was 10 years ago when this thing started...

I most definitely agree. Concessions are going to have to be made and IMO I think the side the ultimately loses will be making most if not all of those. Right now the winner appears to be BA and I think it will continue to be BA ... but who knows.

You guys seem to hate each other in this forum. Funny stuff! Some can't help but get off topic and talk about splitting. That's funny too.

So really back on topic......Does the TSSAA have people go out under cover to catch schools or investigate????

I've always heard rumors.....RUMORS.....that parents rent apartments in a district so their child can go to said school??? Do they check this??? Has this ever been proven???

What about a school lets just say public gets a kid out of district due to the fact they offer a class that the other school doesn't??? Is that recruiting???

You guys seem to hate each other in this forum. Funny stuff! Some can't help but get off topic and talk about splitting. That's funny too.

So really back on topic......Does the TSSAA have people go out under cover to catch schools or investigate????

I've always heard rumors.....RUMORS.....that parents rent apartments in a district so their child can go to said school??? Do they check this??? Has this ever been proven???

What about a school lets just say public gets a kid out of district due to the fact they offer a class that the other school doesn't??? Is that recruiting???

In terms of getting apartments in other zones/districts ... I think there are rules about that. Roughly, it has to be the families new primary address and must be "lived" in for a % of time. I'm not positive of that ... nor am I positive that what I stated are the all inclusive rules - there may be more like ones centered around "moving" in with a divorced parent or grandparent. There are LOTS of people in our world that have the means to own multiple homes, property, vacation homes, etc. Any of them could probably be listed as primary residences. As long as it is a primary residence, there is nothing wrong with it. I know of literally 5 instances personally (not rumor - family) of this happening. Families zoned for one school district that use other "primary residences" to attend school in another district. One actually went to a private school, wanted to leave and was zoned in one district, but changed their primary residence to attend another school (FCS to MJ to Lebanon).

In terms of open zoned schools like in the Metro area of Nashville. I don't think it is recruiting if Hillsboro offers basketweaving and Stratford does not. There are rules around that situation too. I do see how it can create an advantage for certain schools, but I don't think it is recruiting. Because I can see how it can give a school an advantage, it furthers the discussion of a merit system.

Alright, Slingy ... time to spill the beans. What are your thoughts? What do you see as recruiting at any level?

Edited by tnsddeveloper

In terms of getting apartments in other zones/districts ... I think there are rules about that. Roughly, it has to be the families new primary address and must be "lived" in for a % of time. I'm not positive of that ... nor am I positive that what I stated are the all inclusive rules - there may be more like ones centered around "moving" in with a divorced parent or grandparent. There are LOTS of people in our world that have the means to own multiple homes, property, vacation homes, etc. Any of them could probably be listed as primary residences. As long as it is a primary residence, there is nothing wrong with it. I know of literally 5 instances personally (not rumor - family) of this happening. Families zoned for one school district that use other "primary residences" to attend school in another district. One actually went to a private school, wanted to leave and was zoned in one district, but changed their primary residence to attend another school (FCS to MJ to Lebanon).

In terms of open zoned schools like in the Metro area of Nashville. I don't think it is recruiting if Hillsboro offers basketweaving and Stratford does not. There are rules around that situation too. I do see how it can create an advantage for certain schools, but I don't think it is recruiting. Because I can see how it can give a school an advantage, it furthers the discussion of a merit system.

Alright, Slingy ... time to spill the beans. What are your thoughts? What do you see as recruiting at any level?

I feel that we all are losing focus on what's improtant sometimes as far as education goes. Your kids education is what we should be on fire about not the fact that our kids are playing for a power house school. We have professional ball players that don't seem to highly educated when interviewed on TV. I often wonder how some of those guys passed Middle School yet alone High School. Don't get me wrong Sports are great! They teach valuable lessons that kids don't learn in the classroom. I do believe if some of you were as hot about education as you are about Private Sports vs Public Sports we might just improve the future for our kids.

Now as far as recruiting.....I believe that when you have a winning program people want to be a part of that program and will do whatever necessary to do so. Coaches of those teams are not going to turn them down. When a program is not so hot they lose kids to other schools. These coaches are the ones that moan until they turn their program into one of the winning ones. It's a cycle. Really it's kind of funny. I do believe that recruiting does go on in both private and public. Is it right???? Who knows??? The answer depends on if you're one of the winning coaches that the kids a flocking to or you're the losing coach that everyone is bashing and running from. It comes down to what are the TRUE RULES and the ones who enforce them need to do so. I mean it's kinda like speeding......If there were no police would it be under control???? Probably not. I don't believe that all schools recruit but I do believe that it happens more than not. I do not believe when they say we chose this school for academics either especially when it's a school that's on top in sports. I say if the TSSAA isn't going to enforce it then you have to build it and they will come! Is recruiting fair??? I think I answered that it depends if you are winning or not! Does that answer you're question tn???? I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks is the rules and what is considered breaking those rules.