When Is A School Guilty Of Recruiting?

slingbraid,

i'd say there is more disagreement than dislike...

at least among the regulars.

some of us have been on here quite a while

and feel like we know the others.

on more points than you suspect, we agree with one another.

(for example thracymachus, most of the time he is more like an idiot cousin than an enemy, and sometimes- dont let him ever find out- i even agree with him)

as for "what is recruiting" i have a response.

i thought i'd do it while waiting on a late client...

but now he is here,

will finish later.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that we all are losing focus on what's improtant sometimes as far as education goes. Your kids education is what we should be on fire about not the fact that our kids are playing for a power house school. We have professional ball players that don't seem to highly educated when interviewed on TV. I often wonder how some of those guys passed Middle School yet alone High School. Don't get me wrong Sports are great! They teach valuable lessons that kids don't learn in the classroom. I do believe if some of you were as hot about education as you are about Private Sports vs Public Sports we might just improve the future for our kids.

Now as far as recruiting.....I believe that when you have a winning program people want to be a part of that program and will do whatever necessary to do so. Coaches of those teams are not going to turn them down. When a program is not so hot they lose kids to other schools. These coaches are the ones that moan until they turn their program into one of the winning ones. It's a cycle. Really it's kind of funny. I do believe that recruiting does go on in both private and public. Is it right???? Who knows??? The answer depends on if you're one of the winning coaches that the kids a flocking to or you're the losing coach that everyone is bashing and running from. It comes down to what are the TRUE RULES and the ones who enforce them need to do so. I mean it's kinda like speeding......If there were no police would it be under control???? Probably not. I don't believe that all schools recruit but I do believe that it happens more than not. I do not believe when they say we chose this school for academics either especially when it's a school that's on top in sports. I say if the TSSAA isn't going to enforce it then you have to build it and they will come! Is recruiting fair??? I think I answered that it depends if you are winning or not! Does that answer you're question tn???? I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks is the rules and what is considered breaking those rules.

I think the point you are getting at is "success begets success." Itzme wrote a great post about this during the fall: basically, parents with stars in their eyes are naturally going to flock with their kids to the winning programs, both public and private. BA, MBA, Riverdale, Maryville, Hillsboro, Gallatin, Goodpasture, DLHS, etc., etc., all have drawn kids over the years from outside their "regular constituencies" because parents, given the choice, would prefer to send their kids to a winning program than a losing program, all else equal....one parent does it and it's no big deal. 10 parents do it and its a big deal...all of a sudden, programs are competing against kids who should be in their systems. I understand the frustration...the TSSAA has made it as complicated and difficult as humanly possible for kids to move around schools, and I'd say that's about all they can do...the result is that these programs are then charged with "recruiting" when IMO it is just the success of the program that is doing the recruiting....

I agree ... very shameful. And exactly why I said that whole scenario stated previously doesn't make sense. If they were trying to make D2 look more attractive to the D1 privates, then they would be doing so by allowing multiple classifications for sports other than football within D2. By not allowing D2 to have multiple classes, they are kind of instigating tension as opposed to fostering a better system for all.

The TSSAA doesnt' want a complete split. Why would you think Chattanooga Christian, Boyd-Buchanan, Silverdale, Temple, Grace and Notre Dame would rather play in a division they're not wanted, play with a multiplier, be in districts/regions with far off schools like Grundy County and Copper Basin, instead of having a great Chattanooga Division II region for multiple sports. David Brainerd is already in Division II and would be part of that group too. They're all a few miles apart, Chattanooga Christian south of downtown to Silverdale, near Tyner, would probably be the longest trip. A large part of it has to be because McCallie, GPS (girls sports) and Baylor would be region and possible playoff opponents in everything but football. If I remember right, a lot of private schools were considering joining Division II but they had to make their choice before the TSSAA decided on more than one class in Division II, non-football, not after. If they really wanted to do what the schools wanted, they'd have put the Division II jump decision after the class vote. I've also been told some small church-related schools with athletic programs would have considered moving into the TSSAA if there were multiple classes, at least two, in Division II non-football sports. Basketball is the main thing there. It might sound minor, but Silverdale was in the same boat a few years ago and they've hired two of the most well-known coaches in the Chattanooga area in the offseason for football and softball, doing a lot of work to build a quality athletic program. Wouldn't it help the TSSAA to increase membership?

Edited by Indian

i think the operative word is "guilty", not "recruiting".

everyone recruits.

if we didnt recruit, there would be no teams.

however, recruiting exists on a continuum.

it is recruiting to put the date of your tryouts in the paper.

it is also recruiting to offer someone money to play.

one of them almost none of us think is wrong.

the other we almost all think is wrong.

in between is a hundred miles of gray area.

having a rule as specific as "undue influence" doesnt clarify things a whole lot.

but, if we had a thousand pages of detailed rules,

people would find loopholes.

if we knew everything that goes on,

we'd know about a lot of people doing things that we think are wrong.

we wouldnt find many people doing things that they think are wrong.

i still believe there would be less misbehavior if there were no recruiting rules.

none at all...

without the fear of penalty,

what proud parent would keep quiet about the inducements offered their prize child?

i would wager, none of them.

and people dont need a thousand pages of rules to know the difference between right and wrong.

the court of public opinion carries a lot of weight.

and the decisions arent based on who has the most expensive lawyer.

You guys seem to hate each other in this forum. Funny stuff! Some can't help but get off topic and talk about splitting. That's funny too.

So really back on topic......Does the TSSAA have people go out under cover to catch schools or investigate????

I've always heard rumors.....RUMORS.....that parents rent apartments in a district so their child can go to said school??? Do they check this??? Has this ever been proven???

What about a school lets just say public gets a kid out of district due to the fact they offer a class that the other school doesn't??? Is that recruiting???

I know of two girls who play softball for a team in Jackson and they have done exactly that. Used an "apartment" address in order to go to another school. They don`t live in the apartments. They still reside in the same houses that are in the zone for another school.

I know of two girls who play softball for a team in Jackson and they have done exactly that. Used an "apartment" address in order to go to another school. They don`t live in the apartments. They still reside in the same houses that are in the zone for another school.

VG,

Are you sure about this? I cannot beleive that someone from Jackson would be less that ethical!!!!!!!