Who's the best Linebacker in Tennessee?

Bsims33

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I would have to say that the Brooks kid from JCM takes this one. A 6'3" 230lbs beast on the field with a fourty in the 4.5 range - scary. He's the only LB UT is really going to be after or at least he's the top one their after so far in state, and he may be the top LB their going after overall. Unless Earnie Simms is considered a LB. Have any of you heard of Simms? The kid is a walking freak of nature. High school kids should not be built like him - it should be against the rules. He honestly is built better than most if not all NFL running backs. He's listed on practically every recruiting site if any of you would like to see a picture of him. He's from florida, btw so UT doesn't have a great chance of getting him and since his father played for FSU, he'll likely go there if you ask me. But UT should be in the running as he's listed them in his top 5 I believe.

Volfan911

Volfan911

Rivals lists Quinton Williams (the LB from Memphis East) as a running a 4.6 and I think that is likely accurate. People get crazy with fourty times and ironically, a fourty time isn't always that important. Things such as "game speed" and "closing speed" and that crucial "first step" are what really matter and the college coaches can see that for themselves by watching the kids play. Of course, it doesn't hurt a kid's recruitment if he turns in a blistering 40 time at camps and combines.

But at an inch taller and about 15lbs heavier, I got to go with Brooks. He' reportedly just as fast/quick if not even faster or quicker and he's got good size for a middle linebakcer. However, I think Williams will be a very good outside linebacker in college. But who knows how these kids will develope after being on a college weight program. Williams could easily bulk up to 235lbs and be an inside backer while Brooks may grow an inch and get up to 260lbs and be a force at DE. Who knows?

Comparing inside and outside linebackers in like comparing tackles and ends. They are pretty much two different positions that require certain skills and in some cases different size (i.e. you would generally want your bigger LB to play the middle to plug up holes and your smaller, typically quicker LBs to be on the outside so they will be in better position to rush the QB or pick up receivers) JMHO. I mean, who would you say was better - Leonard Little or John Henderson? They both played on the DL but at different positions; see what I meant? They were both awesome in their own right. Both Williams and Brooks are both very talented athletes who have GREAT potential and bright futures ahead of them. I just don't know if you can really say one is "better" at linebacker than the other right now. Which sort of goes against my first post in this thread (I picked Brooks as the best). I hope they both go to UT and become all-americans one day :)

Volfan911

[Edited by volfan911 on 6/20/02 1:53P]

You are definitely correct, both players are great and disrupt what is going on...I guess the East kid gets alittle more press because his team is just great...the East team speed is amazing this year...I talked to some guys for CBHS..who lost to them this summer 64-7...a friend said he thought East might have had over 1000 yards of offense in that game...I don't know about that, but still, both teams are great...JCM's defense is the real deal.