Farragut Class AAA State Champs

timbdp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Farragut.

Catopano is a stud. He was overwhelming today.

Opp,

It was good to meet you today. I was the Farragut radio guy. Thanks for all the pre-game help. Good luck to you in your new ventures in Arkansas. Unfortunately for the Panthers, they took on a Farragut team with nothing to lose. Catapano was "on" tonight, like no other time this season. I think tonight's performance was better than the opening game vs. Ravenwood.

All us Farragut folks are still giddy.....

2nd post within the same "Blue Moon"......I was thinking about what this Admiral team did this past week. In '03 FHS was clearly the dominate team - Houston and Pomeranz were good but Cobb and Company were better that day and then basically ran away with it. '04 FHS was for the most part more dominate from wire-to-wire in the regular and post seasons..,...they had a number of "tools" to get the job done. Munford was always around but just couldn't get to us. Those two teams FHS squads are argueuably two of the overall best this state has ever produced. So, this may well be the most satisfing for Coach Pharr.

This years Championship squad is younger and less inexperienced than FHS has sent to the state tourney in some time. They also lost a few more than FHS is typically used to, however, as is the norm "good pitching beats good hitting." Much of the credit goes not just to Catty - who we all know is the "cream of the crop" - but to the rest of the Admiral staff for their jobs when Rob is not pitching........and lets never forget the main ingredient - Tommy Pharr. If you will notice another major key 1st win/last win '03 Cobb/Cobb, '04 Waldrop/Waldrop, '05 Catapano/Catapano.....this says to me the guy's in the middle did their job to get the "Ace in his place"......

A parent of a young pitcher "on the hill" (for you non-Farragut folks that is the youth ball park in Farragut) asked me yesterday what it takes to pitch at Farragut. Was it speed? A good curveball? My answer was "yes," but more than that its hitting the spot. If you can hit the spot you can likely pitch anywhere....and this is what Coach Pharr demands....and I feel the on-going key to Farragut's pitching and overall year-to-year success. He coaches his boys up to that level. Speed and guile are great, but if you can put it where the mitt is....you can win. Of course you need hitting and defense - that from a Father of a hitter - and goodness knows the Admiral's hit the ball this weekend (Atta Boy David Reynolds/Chip Askew/Barton Ivy - all from our era) and all the rest of the position players.

So, another GIANT CONGRATS for the Admiral baseballer's and Coach Pharr.

My last comment is a question......

Who wins the "Stephen Hahn Award" this year ( given to the pitcher who comes in when the state tourney run is on the line and and gets FHS to the final game ).

Previous winner's (quietly awarded by me...someone else will need to pick up this mantle) are:

-03' - Stephen Hahn

-04' - Tyler Powell

-05' - ?????

Edited by SoupKitchen

2nd post within the same "Blue Moon"......I was thinking about what this Admiral team did this past week. In '03 FHS was clearly the dominate team - Houston and Pomeranz were good but Cobb and Company were better that day and then basically ran away with it. '04 FHS was for the most part more dominate from wire-to-wire in the regular and post seasons..,...they had a number of "tools" to get the job done. Munford was always around but just couldn't get to us. Those two teams FHS squads are argueuably two of the overall best this state has ever produced. So, this may well be the most satisfing for Coach Pharr.

This years Championship squad is younger and less inexperienced than FHS has sent to the state tourney in some time. They also lost a few more than FHS is typically used to, however, as is the norm "good pitching beats good hitting." Much of the credit goes not just to Catty - who we all know is the "cream of the crop" - but to the rest of the Admiral staff for their jobs when Rob is not pitching........and lets never forget the main ingredient - Tommy Pharr. If you will notice another major key 1st win/last win '03 Cobb/Cobb, '04 Waldrop/Waldrop, '05 Catapano/Catapano.....this says to me the guy's in the middle did their job to get the "Ace in his place"......

A parent of a young pitcher "on the hill" (for you non-Farragut folks that is the youth ball park in Farragut) asked me yesterday what it takes to pitch at Farragut. Was it speed? A good curveball? My answer was "yes," but more than that its hitting the spot. If you can hit the spot you can likely pitch anywhere....and this is what Coach Pharr demands....and I feel the on-going key to Farragut's pitching and overall year-to-year success. He coaches his boys up to that level. Speed and guile are great, but if you can put it where the mitt is....you can win. Of course you need hitting and defense - that from a Father of a hitter - and goodness knows the Admiral's hit the ball this weekend (Atta Boy David Reynolds/Chip Askew/Barton Ivy - all from our era) and all the rest of the position players.

So, another GIANT CONGRATS for the Admiral baseballer's and Coach Pharr.

My last comment is a question......

Who wins the "Stephen Hahn Award" this year ( given to the pitcher who comes in when the state tourney run is on the line and and gets FHS to the final game ).

Previous winner's (quietly awarded by me...someone else will need to pick up this mantle) are:

-03' - Stephen Hahn

-04' - Tyler Powell

-05' - ?????

Soup,

Good to hear from you! Tell Harry I said Hi and I look in on him often, (another great year). A nice look back on the Admiral recent history. I thought Rob had a nice quote in the memphis paper; "It's a great feeling to get here and win this knowing we aren't as talented as in past championship years, or even when we finished second," Catapano said. "But we had the strength and the commitment to do it."

Coach Pharr can find a players strength and then if they make the commitment, good play will happen. This years Ad's need to be commended for their commitment to greatness. :lol:

Edited by HiwasseeVol

Congrats! to Coach Pharr and the Team!!! What a great team effort. This team started out the season by hearing everyone's "low" expectations and hype about this finally being a down year for Farragut. No one wants to be the team that does not live up to the historical success of Farragut baseball. This team committed themselves to getting better each day and worked very hard at it, which included many early morning conditioning workouts. They fought through a very tough district season and one could see how this team was gelling and getting better each and every game. Toward the end of the season as the pieces started falling in place you could see much improvement in all aspects of their game. They were a totally different team at the end of the season. Talk about peaking at the right time! While there is some discussion about how this team has over achieved I would like to propose that this team always had the potential and talent to win, it just took a little while for this young team to realize it. That is also where great Coaching comes into play, the ability of Coach Pharr to motiviate, teach, evaluate talent, strategize, etc is second to none.

Congratulations Admiral Baseball Class of 2006 You make all of us Alumni proud!

what was the final score?

7-0....

3 of the last 4 state championships...top 4 finishes in each of the past 6 years...a ton of college players, a first round draft pick, a johnny bench award finalist, UNC signee, all-SEC freshman, UT friday night starter, national rankings #2 and #3 in the country in consecutive years....tell me that farragut isn't the best high school baseball program in the state! congrats to this year's team who definetely wasn't as talented as years before and who had to play their best to just get out of their district! a lot of players stepped up when it mattered and that is a sign of gritty young players and strong seniors who wanted to leave everything they had for the end of their Farragut careers. It's scary that this team won with all the young talent that is supposedly more talented than some of the players that spent most of their time on the field this year. Soup I believe the Steven Hahn award goes out to multiple players this year...

Soup,

Good to hear from you! Tell Harry I said Hi and I look in on him often, (another great year). A nice look back on the Admiral recent history. I thought Rob had a nice quote in the memphis paper; "It's a great feeling to get here and win this knowing we aren't as talented as in past championship years, or even when we finished second," Catapano said. "But we had the strength and the commitment to do it."

Coach Pharr can find a players strength and then if they make the commitment, good play will happen. This years Ad's need to be commended for their commitment to greatness. :rolleyes:

H Vol,

It is always "my pleasure" to hear from you. "H" as he is now known, is in Houston - regrettably on his way back to G'ville soon - and had me text message him on how his good "bud" Rob and the Admiral's were doing. Once an Admiral always an Admiral. I will pass on your greetings and the same to Wes.

Edited by SoupKitchen

By 'Wild Card', I mean a team that didn't win their district regular season, didn't win their district tournament and didn't win their region...

I was gonna say that's unbelieveable,but after reading some more about the Admiral's recent baseball history maybe more expected. Still,another GREAT run for Farragut. There is no doubt you are the premire 3A baseball program in Tennessee. :rolleyes:

THE SQUAD :)

Congratulations to Farragut from the guys in Maryville...Rob's unbelievable run through the tournaments started with us and I had a feeling the whole time that they might just pull off something awesome...I felt the whole year that they were the best team because they have been there before and done it (win state)...from the 8-6 game at Maryville College to the 2-0 pitchers duel at SD...they showed that they had the complete package...Also, they did get better as the year went along, just shows another great coaching job by Pharr...Hats of to Farragut and thank you for representing the best and toughest district in the whole state....BY FAR....there is no doubt about that.

Congrats Admirals!

Everyone on here has hit the nail on the head saying that you all weren't as good this year as in past years, and coming from an area where "good" talent is scarce, I agree with Rob in saying that heart is what wins it. Thats what helped us (Seymour) my junior year get to state even though we were choke artists when we got there. I will also agree that Farragut more than likely has the best program in this part of the the state if not in the entire state. They know how to win when it counts. I saw them beat a pretty good South Doyle team twice in the district tourney this year, one of which Rob threw. At first, I thought, "Well, Catapano isnt all hes cracked up to be." But now I agree that hes a definite Div. 1 signee and a good one. Yes, I do know that I could hit him, but hes good. Congrats Rob and good luck in college ball.