Columbia Academy vs Trinity-Sat. Game Story

NOTE: BROADCAST CD NOW AVAILABLE...GO TO WEBSITE FOR DETAILS!!!!

Columbia Academy's March To Their First Single A State Championship Takes A Tumble.....(SAT.May 27th, 2006)

It all came down to the seventh and deciding inning. The Lady Bulldogs had taken a 1-0 advantage in the 5th off an RBI single by Junior Susan Davis scoring Laura Holmes from second. Bulldog senior hurler Emily Ford had pretty much controlled the game with 10 strikeouts, one of which was in the top of the seventh. Ford had K'd lead off batter Katie Henderson and the Lady Bulldogs were two outs away from the title. But the Lions had other plans. Freshman pitcher Ivy Renfroe stepped in to face Ford. She was one for two with a double. And with one swing Renfroe would tie the game on a home run over the left field fence. A play in which involved CA fielder Kristin Brown. She had drifted back to the portable fence, made contact with the structure and both her and the fence would take a tumble...The umpire in left field would rule the fly ball was out of the park, thus a homer. The next batter Shelby Cummings would reach on an error....she would move to second off an infield hit by Ellen Renfroe and the Lions would have runners on first and second with one out. 1B Micah Layman 0 for 2 , would step in and deliver an RBI single ( E.Renfroe scored), also scoring Cummings (unearned) and the assault was on. One more run would cross the plate off of a single by Kendall German (Layman scores) and with the 4 run ( 6 hit, 1 error) 7th TCA would come from behind to win the 2006 TSSAA Class-1A Softball Championship 4-1. For the game CA had 1 run on 6 hits and 1 error... The Lady Bulldogs stranded 7 runners in the game. TCA 4 runs on 8 hits ( 5 left on base). Emily Ford 10 K's and Ivy Renfroe 5 strikeouts, Ellen Renfroe, in relief fanned 1. Trinity ends the season 40-3, CA 31& 7.

Didn't mean to overlook TCA. I wrote this story for Columbia radio and just copied it here. But I would for sure like to congratulate Trinity...It was a steller performance by their team as young as they are too come back like they did. Especially freshman Ivy Renfroe's game tieing home run with one out in the 7th. AND the pitching performance by Ellen Renfroe. It was a great game to watch and call. Good luck TCA!!!

As for TSN being a middle Tennessee website. We are based out of Columbia, Tennessee and we are continuing to get our name out there. We want to be a STATE sports website....So if you have a great tournament in your area send me an email. Thanks!

For Columbia Academy 4 seniors ended their careers Saturday as a Lady Bulldog. Amanda Rector, Emily Ford, Hannah Westmoreland and Courtney Pope. CA can look foward to continued success in the coming years. They'll return 6 starters...Chelsea Delk, Kristin Brown, Susan Davis, Hope Hogan Laura Holmes and Shelby Burchell. TSN would like congratulate these fine young ladies for great sportsmanship on and off the field and for a FANTASTIC SEASON!!!! GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

Edited by TennesseeSportsNet.Com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats to CA on a great season...and maybe they are talkin about CA cause this is there best season they have ever had, and TCA has had several good seasons

Just a though :)

Just to clear something up. Trinity has had two pretty good seasons in a row. Haven't really done that well before now. I did look at the website, and it does seem to be a little bias to Middle Tennessee, which is fine. Anyway, it was an awesome game, and both teams played very well. Congrats TCA!

congrats to CA on a great season...and maybe they are talkin about CA cause this is there best season they have ever had, and TCA has had several good seasons

Just a though :)

Yeah but just think how much TCA had to overcome being outmatched at every position?

FROM ca7

i dont think u should imply that tca is better than ca cuz that is far from the truth i graduated from ca last year and i kno without a doubt they are the best single a softball team in the state.....they have matchup advantages at every position....hopefully they will pull it out in the second game....good luck girls...

;)

Just curious, but why don`t you call it MiddleTennesseeSportsNet.com? If you call yourself TennesseeSportsNet then why all the congrats to CA and none to TCA? Its a bit misleading to call yourself a statewide sports website and you favor some sections of Tennessee over others.

just a thought :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to overlook TCA. I wrote this story for Columbia radio and just copied it here. But I would for sure like to congratulate Trinity...It was a steller performance by their team as young as they are too come back like they did. Especially freshman Ivy Renfroe's game tieing home run with one out in the 7th. AND the pitching performance by Ellen Renfroe. It was a great game to watch and call. Good luck TCA!!!

As for TSN being a middle Tennessee website. We are based out of Columbia, Tennessee and we are continuing to get our name out there. We want to be a STATE sports website....So if you have a great tournament in your area send me an email. Thanks!

By the way, so far, only middle Tennessee has shown interest up til now. I'm trying to get the Tennessee Sports Net website in full production. I hope to do so this summer. I welcome any ideas and info on stuff going on ALL across the state.

By the way, so far, only middle Tennessee has shown interest up til now. I'm trying to get the Tennessee Sports Net website in full production. I hope to do so this summer. I welcome any ideas and info on stuff going on ALL across the state.

Good explaination. ;)

It just seemed odd that a recap of the game congratulated one team. Good Luck with your website.

Good explaination. :thumb:

It just seemed odd that a recap of the game congratulated one team. Good Luck with your website.

VG, why so surprised?...we get that kind of thing from the Sun all the time! Although I have to say the Sun did a good job of putting TCA and the Renfroes out there(which they certainly deserved)but probably to the detriment of every other team in west TN. When Camden played Chester co for the district 12AA championship there was a very small picture of the Camden pitcher who was 21-1 at the time and then a very large picture of the losing pitcher from Chester co with the article...that was the first mention of Camden outside of "Area Results" all season and they were 38-8 at the time. Huntingdon also got very little press until they got in the tourney and I can't really think of anyone else outside of Chester co and TCA that got any press through the season.

I hope this new website truly does want to expand to our side of the river. These girls work hard and deserve recognition...and they won't get it from the Sun.