CAK....who gets the Head Coaching job?

kobayashi

Coach Gum announced on Wednesday, May 17 that the administration had asked him to step down as varsity baseball coach. They claimed they were in search of a bigger name, perhaps to bring in more players to the program. Several players and parents have become dissatisfied with Coach Gum's management of the program, and I assume complaints had been issued to the athletic department. The players will miss Coach Gum as a person and as a Christian mentor, but are seemingly interested in what a coaching change will bring to the program.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheMighty,

Why am I not surprised?

They can afford to go after all these coaches, and you can probably add Torre and Cox to the list. One parent in particular has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on open league teams over the past 5 or 6 years. His son will be there 3 more years, so the money supply for facilities and salary will be virtually unlimited during that time.

By the way, Coach Pharr is coaching this year's version of his summer team.

Rumor is that Tommy Pharr is retiring from Farragut and will be taking the Head Coaching job at CAK...

Papatj,

Youre probably not surprised because youve seen this scenario play out more times than you'd like to think.

BigFly,

I know the father of which you speak. If hes going to throw around a bunch of money at the Christian Academy baseball program to benefit his son and his teammates, he probably ought to send his son to SAQ or D1 first.

Splainshornet,

I know you know your stuff. If Coach Pharr were to go to CAK that would be huge for such talents as Keenan Kolinsky and BR. Smith who will no doubt be the core for this team for the next couple years.

My biggest problem with the firing of Coach Gum is the same problem i had with the firing of Buzz Peterson. Coach Gum had a team with 3 upperclassmen starters, 1 of those was a part-time DH. I dont think its fair to get rid of a coach who hasnt had the opportunity to see his core group of players go through. I am much opposed to the firing of Coach Gum but i have been around the program only 1 less year than him and i have seen some of the things that he has been able to do with talent that is less than the average school.

CAK would be a tough place to coach if parents with money are dictating what is done. I can't imagine Tommy Pharr in that situation. As a matter of fact, Coach Lindsay doesn't play that game either. Chris is a great person. The CAK people would love to havhim.e

Coach Lindsay is eligible for retirement now. I can see that happening. I would say he is ready to get back to coaching. He also has ties with some of the other coaches at CAK. I also see it being hard to leave West High School. He has been there forever.

I know of one player who wanted to transfer this year to play with Ryan Cooper. If Tommy Pharr goes to CAK you will see a bunch of kids leave non-baseball schools for CAK.

Do you really think so? What is the tuition at CAK?

I don't think they would be eligible next year.

What is the latest news?

CAK could build a program similar to some of the West Tennessee schools if they wanted to. They have a lot of resources. Now that they are playing AA ball they should be more competitive. They played pitifully weak competition at the Class A level.

As far a wholesale transfers, I believe players would be required to sit out a year. As I recall you can transfer from a DI private school to public school without penalty, but not the other way around. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also heard the Lindsay and Pharr rumors.

It's amazing that everyone "knows" what's going on here. How do you guys know that CAK's got the money to throw at these big name public school coaches? That's more of an assumption than a fact. Just because CAK's a private school doesn't mean they are paying top dollar to bring these coaches in. The hiring of Cowan, Darden, and Young can be attributed mainly to them receiving public school pension on top of a salary from CAK.

Some parents carry a lot of clout at CAK but they have nothing to do with how much coaches get paid. They probably have the most say in getting people fired partly because they voluntarily send their kids to school there and without them, there would be no CAK. However, they make no direct contribution to coaches salaries. Believe me, I wish they did.