Crossing the lines

rcpatriot

Basketball has a winter season, spring practice, summer practice, open gym, and players are encouraged to play in AAU and YMCA summer leagues. Basebal has a spring season, and players are encouraged to play in summer and fall leagues. If these sports stay within their seasons and allow kids the option to do weight lifting and conditioning in the summer, then kids can play multiple sports and every sport benefits from the wieght lifiting and conditioning. The kids that want some extra playing time can still play in summer leagues if they want to.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks coacht. I read the article. Maybe everyone's situation is not the same as ours, but I don't see how this proposal addresses the problem. From July 15 thru Oct. 15 the multi-sport athlete is already in football practice. I don't see a real problem with those who play basketball only, or basketball and some other sport besides football, practicing during this time. I also don't understand why the number scrimmages needs to be limited during this time. The problem with basketball is the practice from May through early July. Practice during this time does not allow the multi-sport athlete any summer break, or time to adequately do weight training and conditioning.

From July 15 thru Oct. 15 the multi-sport athlete is already in football practice.

Two things: (1) more BB players would be playing football, volleyball, girls' soccer, and golf if they weren't "falling behind the other BB players" by playing those other sports, as their BB coaches may be reminding them. (2) A two month opportunity to get a good start in their academic classes would help BB players going into a long season.

Practice during this time does not allow the multi-sport athlete any summer break, or time to adequately do weight training and conditioning.

The May through July time period, when teams are going to camps, is almost untouchable. The July-Oct period would give every BB player a chance to play something else in the fall or provide a break for BB players who play spring sports, also.

Two things: (1) more BB players would be playing football, volleyball, girls' soccer, and golf if they weren't "falling behind the other BB players" by playing those other sports, as their BB coaches may be reminding them. (2) A two month opportunity to get a good start in their academic classes would help BB players going into a long season.

The May through July time period, when teams are going to camps, is almost untouchable. The July-Oct period would give every BB player a chance to play something else in the fall or provide a break for BB players who play spring sports, also.

Gotcha'. I guess I can see the logic when you explain it like that, but it still doesn't give the kid any time to do any extra work to prepare for football like the other sports do. However, I have to agree that it is probably a step in the right direction.

Bottom line!! Football coaches will adjust and will be glad to see kids in the weightroom and playing other sports. BB coaches will cry because they have to pick up a weight. The BB coaches will then find away to have practice at Y's aroun d the counties. What will all the BB coaches do with all their free time? Without "open gym"