Ky/Tn All Star Players Announce

cobracoach

Here are the Tennessee All-Stars who will be playing the Kentucky All Stars on June 28.

Beth Long Summertown

Dianne Shelton Ryan Paij Lintz Marshall County

Emily Ford Columbia Acd Angelica Wade Riverdale

Lindsay Antone Wilson Central Chelsea Owens Lincoln Co

Alica Lee Beech Heather Purcell Goodpasture

Ashley Taylor Mt. Juliet Samatha Bellar Greenbrier

Brittany Caldwell Creekwood Alternate-Kelsey Watkins McGavock

Chelsea Brown Franklin

Jessica Green Lorreto

Megan Williams Siegel

Natalie Wessinger Goodpasture

Kaheeka Lyons Riverdale

Scarlett Wall Lincoln Co

Coaches:

Phil Davidson Ryan

Kacey Pedigo Mt. Juliet

Ricky Thompson Columbia Academy

Lee Phillips Goodpasture

Here are the Tennessee All-Stars who will be playing the Kentucky All Stars on June 28.

Beth Long Summertown

Dianne Shelton Ryan Paij Lintz Marshall County

Emily Ford Columbia Acd Angelica Wade Riverdale

Lindsay Antone Wilson Central Chelsea Owens Lincoln Co

Alica Lee Beech Heather Purcell Goodpasture

Ashley Taylor Mt. Juliet Samatha Bellar Greenbrier

Brittany Caldwell Creekwood Alternate-Kelsey Watkins McGavock

Chelsea Brown Franklin

Jessica Green Lorreto

Megan Williams Siegel

Natalie Wessinger Goodpasture

Kaheeka Lyons Riverdale

Scarlett Wall Lincoln Co

Coaches:

Phil Davidson Ryan

Kacey Pedigo Mt. Juliet

Ricky Thompson Columbia Academy

Lee Phillips Goodpasture

Does anyone know who chose the team and whether it was chosen before or after the all-star games were played?

Three local softball players will get a chance to showcase their talent in the inaugural Tennessee-Kentucky Series at Western Kentucky University on June 28 at 3 p.m.

Riverdale's Angelica Wade and Kaneeka Lyons will join Siegel's Megan Williams for Tennessee in a best-of-three series against the top players from Kentucky.

"I think it's going to be a good thing for Tennessee softball," Riverdale coach Jeff Breeden said. "It should be fun. I'm proud of the fact that two girls from Riverdale and (Williams) will be there."

The Tennessee players were selected from the Middle Tennessee Softball Coaches Association All-Star games. To compete in the all-star games a senior had to be selected by a committee of coaches, and her coach had to be a member of MTSCA.

"It's going to be a lot of fun," Williams said of competing in the Tennessee-Kentucky series. "It's a lot of fun getting to play with other girls."

The four coaches for the Tennessee squad — Father Ryan's Phil Davidson, Goodpasture's Lee Phillips, Mt. Juliet's Kacey Pedigo and Columbia Academy's Alice Pope — got the coaching honors because their squads had the best finish among Middle Tennessee schools in the state tournament.

"It's an honor to play in it," said Lyons, an outfielder who will play collegiately at Columbia State Community College. "I'm excited to see all the players."

Lyons hit .362 with a .459 on-base percentage. She hit seven home runs, seven triples, nine doubles and 43 RBIs while stealing 18 bases.

Wade, a second baseman who's committed to Lipscomb, hit .405 with a .519 on-base percentage. She had 12 doubles, five triples, two home runs and 37 RBIs in the leadoff spot while stealing 27 bases.

"It's really great," Wade said of competing in the Tennessee-Kentucky series. "I'm surprised. It's kind of cool."

Williams, a third baseman who's signed with UT-Martin, hit .496 with a .517 on-base percentage and .844 slugging percentage. She hit eight doubles, 12 triples and five home runs while adding 44 RBIs and stealing 18 bases.

"That was so cool," Williams said of making the Tennessee-Kentucky all-star series. "I was really excited (to be selected)."

Siegel coach Karen Green thinks hard work is crucial to Williams' success.

"She has worked hard for the three years I've worked with her," Williams said. "She works hard in practice. She works hard on the field, off the field. It shows the other girls in our program what hard work can do. She's done it all from the all-star game to getting a college scholarship."

Other players selected for the Tennessee-Kentucky Series for Tennessee are: Samantha Bellar, Greenbrier; Heather Purcell and Natalee Weissinger, Goodpasture; Chelsea Owens and Scarlet Wall, Lincoln County; Paij Lintz, Marshall County; Beth Long, Summertown; Dianne Shelton, Father Ryan; Alicia Lee, Beech; Lindsay Antone, Wilson Central; Britney Caldwell, Creek Wood; Chelsea Brown, Franklin; Jessica Green, Loretto; Emily Ford, Columbia Academy.

—Josh Ezzell, 278-5167

I would say before they were played, since the announced it about 2 minutes after the last game was over.

It sure seemed like it was promoted under the assumption that the team would be selected based on their performance in the games. I agree that the team was selected in advance. That would explain why some of the players were chosen even though they had sub-par games on Monday and why the pitcher with the best performance was left off the team. The Centennial pitcher threw 5 innings and faced the minimum of 15 batters with 6-8 K's and no balls hit out of the infield. How do you go to Ky without your best players?

It sure seemed like it was promoted under the assumption that the team would be selected based on their performance in the games. I agree that the team was selected in advance. That would explain why some of the players were chosen even though they had sub-par games on Monday and why the pitcher with the best performance was left off the team. The Centennial pitcher threw 5 innings and faced the minimum of 15 batters with 6-8 K's and no balls hit out of the infield. How do you go to Ky without your best players?

I think the players had to committ to being available for the games. There is a post somewhere on this board to that effect made by Raiderone.