Db vs South

readnoevil

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both teams will come out strong after a short week of practice on thursday night

curt phillips and bo burton will lead their offenses very well as they always do

db's defense needs to do very well against phillips

and south needs to be on their toes with dbs multi-attack offense including marchez barnes,coty sensabaugh,joseph throp,easton ring,justin sylvester,and along with bo burton

both teams should be well rested from week zero and ready to write another chapter to this rivalry

my prediction is....

DB-35

south-17

south is a 100% improved team from last year...and that is saying a lot....they have no weakness....they are stacked with QB Phenom Curt Phillips...and an awesome 3 back rotation...plus a 4 Senior O line...and thats just on offense...and the defensive side of the ball they have wat seems to be the best defensive front around...with 2 All Conference and All NET tackles Ryan Collier who plays some end and Andrew Murray, Collier has the speed, and Murray is strong and with quick hands...their ends Seth Pearson who had 8 tackles against HV, and Most likely Chris Collins...are 2 extremely talented kids...and we cant forget The Linebacking Corps...With Conference defensive player of the year Justin Dykes and his partner Paul Wingfield...it will be tough for the Indians to run it up or around this D.....south wins this game 14-7....

"Indian defense is not as advertised" - sorry guys, don't know what advertising you've seen, but the only publicity for the Indian defense has been for the linebacking corps and those guys played very well last night. The defensive line faced a massive front without their starting nose guard and by the second half they dominated virtually every play by blowing guys off the ball that outweighed them by 80 - 100 pounds. Zack Kramer and Daniel Preston stepped up big time. They have to pressure the quarterback more, but anyone who watched that game knows they were facing a pretty special QB in Smith. Two big hits by linebackers resulted in turnovers and Ben Davis' return of a fumble almost matched total rushing for the Cyclones who had only 59 yards - pretty good night for the D-line and the backers. I'd like to see a few more blitzes to pressure the passer, but hey, maybe next week...

Now what about that much maligned secondary? They have got to improve coverage, no doubt and we're all looking for the Hammer who will step up and hit like Jessee Alley did last year. But the big touchdown by Betsy that was called back in the first half was by a receiver that was covered by a lineman, ie, ineligible. You don't have to cover ineligible receivers, so is anyone surprised he was wide open. Another long pass play resulted when an Indian DB batted the ball down; unfortunately, into the hands of a Betsy player who was on his back (not to take anything away from what was a great catch) but that's not "freshman" coverage. Another long pass play should arguably have been a fumble recovery for DB if you believe the receiver had control. But this is the first game of the season for the refs and calls went both ways.

The defense will get better - the score was 35-7 against a very much improved Cyclone team - and I suspect this game will go a long way toward preparing for South than Happy Valley will go toward preparing for the Tribe. Phillips is good - but he hasn't been hit like D-B's gonna hit.

Offense - what can you say? In the opening game they looked like they had three or four games under their belt. That comes from scrimmaging competition like Maryville.

Waco and Direwolf, I think I figured out where you're coming from and I really don't disagree - "good to great" is a season long journey, but this team is good - make no mistake!

Roll Tribe!

Chomp, that was a very level headed well thought out post. I think you showed more than a few fans that things are not always as they appear. The defense is good and they well be even better this Thursday night.

Roll Tribe!

D-B is probably the better ball club, but not by much. If D-B stumbles, I believe South will defeat them. What a great match-up! This is what high school football is all about. Go get'em South! Bring down the mighty Indians. Good luck and injury free to both teams ;)

It been along time since South has had a club that could hang with DB. I believe who ever makes the least amount of mistakes will come out on top. Good luck to both sides.

it will be a good game their is gonna be alot of people their in j fred gonna be a great night of football but the indians still gonna win this one sorry rebels maybe next year or the next or maybe 10 years from now ;)

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

Edited by indian60

It been along time since South has had a club that could hang with DB. I believe who ever makes the least amount of mistakes will come out on top. Good luck to both sides.

It was actually less than 1 yr ago that South had a team that could hang with DB. Last season's South team was much more of a vetran team than the Indians. The Rebels had 3 turnovers inside the DB 20 in the last 2:30 of the 4th qtr.. That's how close they came to winning on the scoreboard, last year.

The tables are turned this season with the Indians maybe being a little bit more of the experienced team and at Home. One big plus for the Rebels is Curt Phillips... that is a real big plus.

It will be a Classic East Tennessee Football Game

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!