TSSAA vs. BA - Round 587

How can you make any real conclusion about BA and 5A when BA only played in 5A for 2 seasons (95 and 96)? Who knows what would have happened had BA been allowed to play in 5A for the next 10 years. After all, in the 10 years since those 2 5A titles, they haven't won a DIIAAA title while competing against only 6 other schools. I wonder if just maybe they caught lightning in a bottle those 2 years....maybe like say.....Ravenwood in its 3rd year of varsity football did in winning a 5A title.

I have heard over the last few years, from the people in and around BA, that those two teams are probably the best ever at BA. So yes, you could be right in that they "caught lightning in a bottle". And yes, they have had a little trouble winning it in DllAAA. But, they are playing against MBA, MUS, CBHS, McCallie, which are all double the size of BA and are all boys. How many boys does BA have, 200? So, I think they do a pretty good job in the toughest division out there. What do you think?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah...the ludicrous thing is for every DII person to blame Rankin for DII. He was one of very many that complained. Gee...why would anyone complain that a 350 student school beat 5a schools consistently?

Antwan...go back and read what I said. I said "coaches like Rankin". I didn`t know you were Rankin`s defender. Again Rankin brought himself into this by being vocal and public about it. So there is nothing ludicrous about mentioning his name in the discussion.

Once again...it was stupid, stupid, stupid to interpret sending a form letter to kids that had signed contracts and paid money as undue influence.

Antwan...go back and read what I said. I said "coaches like Rankin". I didn`t know you were Rankin`s defender. Again Rankin brought himself into this by being vocal and public about it. So there is nothing ludicrous about mentioning his name in the discussion.

Once again...it was stupid, stupid, stupid to interpret sending a form letter to kids that had signed contracts and paid money as undue influence.

The whole thing...on both sides...seems to be a little stupid. What does BA stand to gain besides making the tssaa pay legal fees? Do we really want to do away with recruiting rules? I don't think that would be a good thing for either side.

Nah...you and others...want to blame Rankin for everything. Why use his name...when scores of coaches were involved? Maybe I should have said...posters like VolunteerGeneral...want to blame Rankin for everything. <_<

Edited by Antwan

I have heard over the last few years, from the people in and around BA, that those two teams are probably the best ever at BA. So yes, you could be right in that they "caught lightning in a bottle". And yes, they have had a little trouble winning it in DllAAA. But, they are playing against MBA, MUS, CBHS, McCallie, which are all double the size of BA and are all boys. How many boys does BA have, 200? So, I think they do a pretty good job in the toughest division out there. What do you think?

not only were those teams the best in BA history, they were among the best in the history of the TSSAA. I watched both those teams knock MBA out of the play-offs. They were the perfect storm of talent and coaching. Richard Land, Mikki Allen, Tito Lee, Austin Kemp, Bo Clift, Kurston Biggers...they were just loaded. I've watched high school football all over the country and those teams could compete with anyone anywhere. I'd say not unlike the BA basketball team this year. Or MBA football in 1999. Sometimes, everything just comes together. You have a great coaching staff and you throw in a few special talents into the mix...

the funny thing is, in hidsight, if anyone had a reason to be suspicious/angry about BA winning 5A titles with only 300 students back then, it was us at MBA. After all, they knocked out 2 of the best MBA teams ever each of those years. And our student body is more that twice theirs with all guys. And coaching? Ricky Bowers at MBA. Enough said. But no one at MBA started frantically scheming to get BA off the schedule. Ricky just worried about getting it done on the field. And ever since then, BA has struggled to beat MBA.

the funny thing is, in hidsight, if anyone had a reason to be suspicious/angry about BA winning 5A titles with only 300 students back then, it was us at MBA. After all, they knocked out 2 of the best MBA teams ever each of those years. And our student body is more that twice theirs with all guys. And coaching? Ricky Bowers at MBA. Enough said. But no one at MBA started frantically scheming to get BA off the schedule. Ricky just worried about getting it done on the field. And ever since then, BA has struggled to beat MBA.

Good point. One of the things that I like the most about the DII schools athletically is that typically they seek out great teams to play, even if they might lose. Witness MBA playing a great Byrnes team last year. They didn't have much of a realistic chance to win, but took them on a played hard.

Sometimes people forget that the primary purpose of high school athletics is to learn about life...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always compete.

Life has no Division I and Division II.

The whole thing...on both sides...seems to be a little stupid. What does BA stand to gain besides making the tssaa pay legal fees? Do we really want to do away with recruiting rules? I don't think that would be a good thing for either side.

Nah...you and others...want to blame Rankin for everything. Why use his name...when scores of coaches were involved? Maybe I should have said...posters like VolunteerGeneral...want to blame Rankin for everything. <_<

Who is doing away with recruiting rules? What BA did was not recruiting, yet the TSSAA tried to accuse them of recruiting.

Again Rankin has been outspoken about the whole issue. So has Satterfield. I didn`t push their names out there. They did that themselves. And yes...keen minds like VG can see what`s happening so feel free to use my name. :lol:

Tell me how BA used undue unfluence.

Who is doing away with recruiting rules? What BA did was not recruiting, yet the TSSAA tried to accuse them of recruiting.

Again Rankin has been outspoken about the whole issue. So has Satterfield. I didn`t push their names out there. They did that themselves. And yes...keen minds like VG can see what`s happening so feel free to use my name. <_<

Tell me how BA used undue unfluence.

They invited junior high kids to spring practice. I would guarantee they knew it was against the rules (as written). They did all of this to challenge the recruiting rules. That's what all of this is about. They want to do away with recruiting rules. They are one of the few private schools that could afford to give scholarships to athletes. Most couldn't afford to give any. Just MHO...nothing more. It may not have started out that way...but that's the way it is now.

Yeah...you are definitely a legend in your own mind (keenly). :lol:

Good point. One of the things that I like the most about the DII schools athletically is that typically they seek out great teams to play, even if they might lose. Witness MBA playing a great Byrnes team last year. They didn't have much of a realistic chance to win, but took them on a played hard.

Sometimes people forget that the primary purpose of high school athletics is to learn about life...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always compete.

Life has no Division I and Division II.

No 1A through 5A either, but do you want to see a Red Boiling Springs vs Riverdale football game?

They invited junior high kids to spring practice. I would guarantee they knew it was against the rules (as written). They did all of this to challenge the recruiting rules. That's what all of this is about. They want to do away with recruiting rules. They are one of the few private schools that could afford to give scholarships to athletes. Most couldn't afford to give any. Just MHO...nothing more. It may not have started out that way...but that's the way it is now.

Yeah...you are definitely a legend in your own mind (keenly). <_<

They could have picked up the phone and asked if it was okay to have them at spring practice. I'm curious about what happened to the game ticket problems, was that dropped?

They could have picked up the phone and asked if it was okay to have them at spring practice. I'm curious about what happened to the game ticket problems, was that dropped?

They had to know it wasn't okay. Can Sequatchie County junior high kids participate in spring practice with the high school?

No, they can't. It would have helped, because at least a couple have a chance to either start or be contributing even as ninth graders.

Then...why should BA be able to do it...if you can't? Better yet...just do it and sue the tssaa. <_<

Edited by Antwan