TSSAA vs. BA - Round 587

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa, in some years, could compete in 4A and 5A but I couldn't see them winning a title in each, or even making a deep playoff run. Trousdale, can't see them competing in 4A or 5A.

Really ... how do you know? They seem to dominate their classes - and others when they play outside of their classes. Why don't they move up like BA did and find out? Isn't that the crux of the argument now? :lol:

Really ... how do you know? They seem to dominate their classes - and others when they play outside of their classes. Why don't they move up like BA did and find out? Isn't that the crux of the argument now? :lol:

Maybe the pastings they have taken from Maryville is a pretty good indicator. No...there's nobody to compare with BA for their size. Alcoa has been very good the last couple of years and they still didn't compete with 4a's best. Just a few years ago...Lipscomb beat them 55-6. Do you think Lipscomb could have ever beaten BA 55-6? They were in the same district for 20 years and DL never won...neither did Goodpasture.

Edited by Antwan

Alcoa, in some years, could compete in 4A and 5A but I couldn't see them winning a title in each, or even making a deep playoff run. Trousdale, can't see them competing in 4A or 5A.

There have been some years that Trousdale could have given most any team a good game.

The insanity of all this still is over the fact that BA sent some form letters to kids in the 8th grade who had already signed a contract to attend BA in high school. I`m sorry. But if there is anyone here who thinks there is something underhanded about that then I simply think....well I won`t say what I think cause I may have to moderate my own post :lol: .

Let`s just say I think RC was stupid,stupid,stupid to rule this as undue influence. I`ll tell you where the REAL undue influence came from. Coaches like Rankin who couldn`t stand to lose to BA and did everything in his power to bring them down. I have no doubt that he had some sort of influence on pushing this whole issue to begin with.

Anyone with a clear head can see the mailing was NOT sinister.Certainly not worth 2 seasons of no post-season play and a $3,000 fine.

I have yet to hear anyone explain how you can impose "undue influence" on someone that has signed a contract and paid money to a school. I`d really like for someone to do that for me.

reconciliation wasn't the crux of the case, but it arose when BA's lawyers argued in one of the proceedings that the TSSAA, as a state actor, didn't have the right to discriminate against financial aid-granting private schools by banishing them to DII. Some of their language indicates that they may soften their stance on the legal fees if there is some change in the TSSAA's treatment of the DII privates.

I doubt any lawyers are getting rich over this. When Lee Barfield took this case up on BA's behalf when it first started, I'm sure it wasn't in order to receive a huge payday. There are certainly more lucrative uses of his time than this. They will get some recompense but for a firm like BB&S this will be a pro bono cost center.

personally I don't think they "violated a rule because they found it unjust." The rule--"no undue influence--was ambiguous and left to one individual's interpretation. Both sides could have avoided this whole mess by simply communicating with one another. I don't think BA is totally innocent but the punishment imposed did not fit the crime, imo.

Barfield is married to Bill (as in Senator) and Tommy (as in chairman of HCA) Frist's sister. He doesn't have to be out chasing ambulances or bogus lawsuits to generate fees.

There have been some years that Trousdale could have given most any team a good game.

The insanity of all this still is over the fact that BA sent some form letters to kids in the 8th grade who had already signed a contract to attend BA in high school. I`m sorry. But if there is anyone here who thinks there is something underhanded about that then I simply think....well I won`t say what I think cause I may have to moderate my own post :lol: .

Let`s just say I think RC was stupid,stupid,stupid to rule this as undue influence. I`ll tell you where the REAL undue influence came from. Coaches like Rankin who couldn`t stand to lose to BA and did everything in his power to bring them down. I have no doubt that he had some sort of influence on pushing this whole issue to begin with.

Anyone with a clear head can see the mailing was NOT sinister.Certainly not worth 2 seasons of no post-season play and a $3,000 fine.

I have yet to hear anyone explain how you can impose "undue influence" on someone that has signed a contract and paid money to a school. I`d really like for someone to do that for me.

That is really a ludicrous statement about Rankin's influence...no...make that comical. He had very little to do with what happened. A lot of coaches and schools complained that a 350 student school could compete...year in and year out...with 5a schools. He just got most of the publicity. He is one of very very many. You tell me how they (BA) did...and continue to do that. I know...better coaches...and they work harder...right? :lol:

I can think of one or two years TC would have had a chance against the best 4a or 5a schools. They have not had a team like that since we went to 5 or more classes.

Edited by Antwan

You tell me how they (BA) did...and continue to do that. I know...better coaches...and they work harder...right? :lol:

I think they are successful because they have, over 35 years, built a great reputation for fielding a high quality football team that competes at the highest levels not only in TN, but in the nation. In addition, they send a lot of players on to play college football, and provide a great education and a great environment at school.

That sort of reputation attracts students and athletes without having to use any "undue influence". Yes, BA athletes work very hard, and so do many other school's athletes. I do think that on average, the quality of coaching is probably better at BA than most other schools.

I think they are successful because they have, over 35 years, built a great reputation for fielding a high quality football team that competes at the highest levels not only in TN, but in the nation. In addition, they send a lot of players on to play college football, and provide a great education and a great environment at school.

That sort of reputation attracts students and athletes without having to use any "undue influence". Yes, BA athletes work very hard, and so do many other school's athletes. I do think that on average, the quality of coaching is probably better at BA than most other schools.

Agreed...but it's not 350/2000 better. I won't rehash the population base argument today.

Edited by Antwan

That is really a ludicrous statement about Rankin's influence...no...make that comical. He had very little to do with what happened. A lot of coaches and schools complained that a 350 student school could compete...year in and year out...with 5a schools. He just got most of the publicity. He is one of very very many. You tell me how they (BA) did...and continue to do that. I know...better coaches...and they work harder...right? :D

I can think of one or two years TC would have had a chance against the best 4a or 5a schools. They have not had a team like that since we went to 5 or more classes.

It`s funny how you say Rankin`s influence is ludricrous and then in the next breath you admit he was one of the ones complaining. I mention Rankin because he like Satterfield brought their ownselves into the discussion by making their opinions known public in the paper.

The bottom line is it was stupid, stupid, stupid to interpret sending a form letter to kids that had signed contracts and paid money as undue influence.

Agreed...but it's not 350/2000 better. I won't rehash the population base argument today.

How can you make any real conclusion about BA and 5A when BA only played in 5A for 2 seasons (95 and 96)? Who knows what would have happened had BA been allowed to play in 5A for the next 10 years. After all, in the 10 years since those 2 5A titles, they haven't won a DIIAAA title while competing against only 6 other schools. I wonder if just maybe they caught lightning in a bottle those 2 years....maybe like say.....Ravenwood in its 3rd year of varsity football did in winning a 5A title.

Edited by big red big blue

How can you make any real conclusion about BA and 5A when BA only played in 5A for 2 seasons (95 and 96)? Who knows what would have happened had BA been allowed to play in 5A for the next 10 years. After all, in the 10 years since those 2 5A titles, they haven't won a DIIAAA title while competing against only 6 other schools. I wonder if just maybe they caught lightning in a bottle those 2 years....maybe like say.....Ravenwood in its 3rd year of varsity football did in winning a 5A title.

Well...that lightning landed them in DII.

It`s funny how you say Rankin`s influence is ludricrous and then in the next breath you admit he was one of the ones complaining. I mention Rankin because he like Satterfield brought their ownselves into the discussion by making their opinions known public in the paper.

The bottom line is it was stupid, stupid, stupid to interpret sending a form letter to kids that had signed contracts and paid money as undue influence.

Nah...the ludicrous thing is for every DII person to blame Rankin for DII. He was one of very many that complained. Gee...why would anyone complain that a 350 student school beat 5a schools consistently?