Division II: Region AAA Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

As has been normal the past few years, pre-season hype of BA is huge but it does not look as though they are living up to expectations...I have referenced a couple of times on other posts--can anyone score enough to hang with McCallie? From what I have seen and read, I don't think so.

BA is 4-0. They've handed Manual (KY) and Baylor their worst losses of the year. They beat the large class MS runner-up from 2005. They beat the defending TN DI-5A champs. Perhaps the style could be better, but you can't argue with the substance.

BA-McCallie will tell us a lot this week, but I would not put a lot of stock in a McCallie win. They've beaten BA three of the last four years during the regular season, only to lose to BA in the playoffs in the rematch. The 2001 season notwithstanding, McCallie needs to get rid of the playoff monkey versus BA.

McCallie also needs to get rid of the MBA monkey. Every other original member of the league has at least two wins versus MBA since 1997. McCallie has one win in nine years (1-10 overall), and I would contend that McCallie has been slightly better the last two years. McCallie looks to be much better this year, but getting over the MBA hump, and the BA rematch dilemma, are issues to consider before we crown them in Week 3.

Edited by rollredroll

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA-McCallie will tell us a lot this week, but I would not put a lot of stock in a McCallie win. They've beaten BA three of the last four years during the regular season, only to lose to BA in the playoffs in the rematch. The 2001 season notwithstanding, McCallie needs to get rid of the playoff monkey versus BA.

You are correct. I do see these two seeing each other again at the end of the season for the Championship (bar anything major happening). And yes, McCallie must get over the BA playoff curse, but I think they will. This Friday: McCallie 28 BA 14.

RRR

You raise some good points as usual. However, I think it is a mistake to think BA's win over Baylor tells us much of anything. The score was tied at the half and Baylor's 3 wins come against teams with a record of 0-12 (I think). I think Baylor is down a tad this year and BA really did not look good in beating them.

I did not see the BA Manual score--who played RB--Ford or Jordan?

RRR

You raise some good points as usual. However, I think it is a mistake to think BA's win over Baylor tells us much of anything. The score was tied at the half and Baylor's 3 wins come against teams with a record of 0-12 (I think). I think Baylor is down a tad this year and BA really did not look good in beating them.

I talked with a BA friend after they had played Manual and he said that Manual was a very weak team. Large number of players but very small and just not very good. He said that it was a shame that they did play in the game after them against Louisville Male. He said that they were huge and looked like they would have been a good match for BA. I believe BA won 40 something to 0? I don't remember who he said played FB but I want to believe that it was Jordan.

RRR

Chattcity, Has Bradford gotten any looks from any schools to play next year? It sounds like he is a do it all kind of guy. I bet that McCallie will see Kottas and Garrett on defense this week. I am sure they will put as much speed on D as possible. You might even see Jordan at linebacker. This will be an interesting game.

RRR

Here's the article/stats on the BA-Manual game (BA won 49-6):

Link

• 2 weeks later...

The schedule picks up this coming week with some key contests, and a few remaining questions to be answered.

Is Father Ryan ready to compete for the championship?

McCallie losing to 2A Alcoa? On a hook-and-lateral play? Are they the real deal, or has a late season fade begun?

Will BA come back from a tough loss at McCallie and an off week to beat MUS? The Owls have had the Eagles number for a couple of years.

Which CBHS team will show up to play Briarcrest? This is a mismatch on paper, but there's no such thing as a paper field.

If form holds, we'll have a clear picture of the rest of the year. My guess is there will be a least one upset however. The likeliest candidates, in order:

MBA over Father Ryan - Ryan has not had the toughest schedule so far, and this is a huge rivalry game. MBA has one more week of practice with their new "offense", and really needs to win this one if they want to make the playoffs.

MUS over BA - BA is inconsistent at best. MUS has gotten used to beating BA. BA has lost two years in a row after their bye week. The big question is whether this talented and experienced BA senior class steps up.

Baylor over McCallie - Lot's of emotion and history in this rivalry. McCallie has dominated recently, but Baylor could win if all the chips fall into place and McCallie is still thinking about last week.

Briarcrest over CBHS - No way. Briarcrest is not very good at all. (Now watch this be the upset!!)

McCallie, BA, Ryan and Baylor are pretty much locks to get to the playoffs. MUS is all but a lock to get in as well, and CBHS is in if they beat Briarcrest this week as they should. MBA must go 2-2 against four tough opponents. Briarcrest is done.

Good analysis itzme but who would have thought, at the beginning of this year, that one would classify an MBA win over Father Ryan as an upset?

I do not think there will be any upsets unless it is MBA.

Where is the MUS BA game?

At BA. After having 4 road games and 1 home game so far, the Eagles have 4 of the last 5 at home.

You are probably right about the upset specials... no more than one, but I'm just not sure which one that will be. I'll stick with my rank order of likelihood.

BTW, I've noticed that McCallie is catching up to BA in this poll! :thumb:

Edited by itzme