Division II: Region AAA Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

MBA over Father Ryan - Ryan has not had the toughest schedule so far, and this is a huge rivalry game. MBA has one more week of practice with their new "offense", and really needs to win this one if they want to make the playoffs.

Who would have ever thought that MBA would be an upset game over Father Ryan.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge win for MBA over traditional rival Father Ryan Friday. All the other games followed form.

MBA is still in the hunt for the playoffs, and looks to be peaking at the right time of year. They still need a win over BA, McCallie or Baylor to get in. I just hope it doesn't happen this week! BA hasn't defeated MBA since the 2003 regular season, and should be itching for a win, but one can never count MBA out. Losing Chris Jordan to injury hurts, but Tyree Ford may br the best "backup" running back in the state. Gotta go with BA in this one, 17-10.

MUS did not look very good against BA. They really never got much going offensively, and BA wore them down with the running game. The Owls must win two of their last three to make the playoffs, but with games against Kingsbury and Braircrest, that should not be a problem. The CBHS matchup will be interesting to see, and should tell alot about which of these teams is poised to make a run in the playoffs. I'll say CBHS wins 23-17.

Baylor's playoff clinching win should come this Friday against Franklin County, and Father Ryan will also clinch vs. Briarcrest. McCallie takes on Columbia, an undefeated 2A school out of S. Carolina. McCallie wins easily.

Have not heard much about Bradford going anywhere; size is an issue but he really is a heck of a playmaker. For a relatively small high school player, he really does make plays.

I am sure there are plenty of small schools that would love to have him

The big boys are finally finding out about Joel Bradford. He got a personal letter from Houston Nutt at Arkansas last week and Vanderbilt is now in the hunt. He is simply a money player who does everything. He'd be a great fit at Arkansas - but the two big articles about him in the Chattanooga Times have a lot more people talking. It was after the last article that Vanderbitl called.

Very tough to pick, as always. Unlike last year, BA has the most talent overall, but IMHO, they also had it in 2001 and 2004 yet did not win. They must get more productivity out of the QB position, as they have, arguably, two of the top 3 or 4 receivers in DII AAA. MBA is always very tough, and both MUS and McCallie will also have very good teams.

The usual "murderer's row" preseason schedules for all these teams will tell us a lot.

Anyone want to predict what BA's first offensive play of the season will be?? :(

Obviously, this is an older post. Because it almost seems like you put the BA QB in the same category as B.J. Coleman from McCallie. They are not close (of course, now we have the advantage of hindsight having seen them play each other). Coleman is a superior qb who will be playing for many years to come on the National scene. The BA qb is a very good High School quarterback.

BA is very good, don't get me wrong. And I understand that by "productivity" you may mean something more than talent. But seeing how a much larger and (according to you, apparently) more talented BA team can be handled fairly easily by McCallie, Coleman must be a fairly "productive" qb. Incidentally, about 120 yards of BAs passing against McCallie came on two 3 yard passes which happened to be thrown to that incredible receiver - I don't know his name, but I'm sure I will when he gets to college.

Of course, if history holds true, you guys will be heck-to-play the second time around.

Obviously, this is an older post. Because it almost seems like you put the BA QB in the same category as B.J. Coleman from McCallie. They are not close (of course, now we have the advantage of hindsight having seen them play each other). Coleman is a superior qb who will be playing for many years to come on the National scene. The BA qb is a very good High School quarterback.

BA is very good, don't get me wrong. And I understand that by "productivity" you may mean something more than talent. But seeing how a much larger and (according to you, apparently) more talented BA team can be handled fairly easily by McCallie, Coleman must be a fairly "productive" qb. Incidentally, about 120 yards of BAs passing against McCallie came on two 3 yard passes which happened to be thrown to that incredible receiver - I don't know his name, but I'm sure I will when he gets to college.

Of course, if history holds true, you guys will be heck-to-play the second time around.

McCallie is clearly a very good team...better than BA. I have always been a Coleman fan. I'm just happy that BA has a good quality High School QB for the first time in a few years.

I wouldn't say that McCallie handled BA "fairly easily", but everyone is entitled.

Looking forward to the playoffs.

Quite a whooping BA put on MBA last night. Tough times continue on West End as the injuries have really taken their toll. I know injuries are part of the game but it looks from here that the talent and depth level at MBA isn't where it was 2-5 years ago and that has made the injuries even more significant than normal. Anyone else think DII is down a bit this year, other than McCallie and BA? Particularly MUS and MBA, it seems to me.

Quite a whooping BA put on MBA last night. Tough times continue on West End as the injuries have really taken their toll. I know injuries are part of the game but it looks from here that the talent and depth level at MBA isn't where it was 2-5 years ago and that has made the injuries even more significant than normal. Anyone else think DII is down a bit this year, other than McCallie and BA? Particularly MUS and MBA, it seems to me.

The talent level is down somewhat, but you really can't underestimate the lack of QB at MBA right now. Of course, not having a QB doesn't necessarily impact defense directly (although it does lead to shorter fields and more turnovers when the offense is limited, thereby putting more pressure on the defense), and MBA's defense has been weak versus CBHS and BA. The defense played well enough to beat MUS and PJPII, but it just didn't work out.

Yes, it's been a tough year for MBA fans, but there is a lot of talent in the junior class. By attrition of other teams (particularly losses of QBs at other league schools), and with what MBA has coming back next year, I think MBA should be quite strong next year, particularly running the ball (all RBs return), and all-around offensively if a QB is healthy (Bennett).

DII does seem down somewhat this year, which is surprising as I thought coming into 2006 that this may be the most rounded year of the league yet. Perhaps non-league teams are getting tired of being beat up on by DII-AAA and are fighting back harder this year. Nevertheless, the league still is putting up strong results versus non-league members (23-9, .719):

Baylor 4-0

BA 3-0

MBA 3-1

McCallie 3-1

Ryan 3-1

CBHS 3-1

MUS 2-2

Briarcrest 2-3

Hats off to BA. With or without injuries, 42-7 is a collosal beatdown. If this is indeed Coach Flatt's last season, he certainly is leaving this rivalry with an exclamation point. The last month has got to be the worst month of MBA football in a long time. I remember that tough '89 year, but it was nothing like this.

A guess this shows you the fine line between "good" and "bad" that exists in DII. Just no margin for error.

In the "the world is getting smaller" note of the week, I saw a video recap of the game on CSS while in FL. Unbelievable.

Hats off to BA. With or without injuries, 42-7 is a collosal beatdown. If this is indeed Coach Flatt's last season, he certainly is leaving this rivalry with an exclamation point. The last month has got to be the worst month of MBA football in a long time. I remember that tough '89 year, but it was nothing like this.

A guess this shows you the fine line between "good" and "bad" that exists in DII. Just no margin for error.

In the "the world is getting smaller" note of the week, I saw a video recap of the game on CSS while in FL. Unbelievable.

It was just "one of those days" that occured during "one of those seasons". Every program on every level will have a few over the course of time.