Jefferson County High School

DZbettin

I counted 47 kids at practice Wednesday.

Scrimmage at Central is 5:30 p.m.

August 10, Scrimmage at Knox Carter 6 p.m.

August 11, Jamboree at Burke Toney Stadium

August 17 Scrimmage vs Farragut at home, 7 p.m.

August 18, Meet the Patriots

Grasscutters

6 p.m. Dandridge vs White Pine

6:15 p.m. Jefferson City vs Strawberry Plains

6:30 p.m. Northview vs. Grainger County

6:45 p.m. Grasscutter cheerleaders

7:10 p.m. JCHS Cheerleaders and Dance Team

7:20 p.m. Meet the Patriots and coaches

Peewees

7:30 p.m. Dandridge vs WHite Pine

7:45 p.m. Jefferson City vs. Strawberry Plains

8:00 p.m. Northview vs. Grainger County

8:15 p.m. Peewee cheerleaders

Middle Schools

8:40 p.m. midddle school cheerleaders

9:00 p.m. Jefferson City vs Rush Strong

9:20 p.m. Maury vs White Pine

Grasscutter and peewees will each play a 10 minute quarter with the clock running. Each team will get one time out. Middle schools will play 12 minute quarter with the clock running as in a regular game. Cheerleaders and dance teams will be announced and then have a three minute routine.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would like to know how JC did?

Scrimage was a multiple 10 play session that was controlled by down and distance situations.....this affected the normal flow and thus the abilility to determine a winner.

West scored 2 or 3 TD's, Jeff scored one on a 25 yrd pass from Spencer to Sherrod.

My opinion is that the defense looked better. Stronger and faster....but alot of missed tackles. West complete numerous passes up the middle to their TE and on slants. Safety's and LB's are going to have to pop the receivers when they cross the middle. Defensive line looked better. The defensive energy was high at the beginning but seemed to dwindle as play went on. I'm no sure if West is a good test.

The offense was inconsistent. Like most of last year, there was no room to run up the middle and when we did, FB Brooks fumbled twice.

West put 7 and 8 guys in the box which made it tough to run. Stepp is getting better but he needs to make adjustments on the ball once its in the air. At 6'4" and fast, he needs to become more aggressive on the ball. Sherrod made a great catch for the TD but bruised his knee and was out for the rest. Stepp will be a huge help by simply not allowing teams to focus on Sherrod. I would love to see Sherrod run some curls , screens and outs to simply get the ball in his hands.

I will say the same thing I said last year. This offense will not be a power offense. Coach U will have to mix alot of things up to be succesful. Ball control passing, more options, misdirections. Spencer throws a great fade but he needs to realize you can't make that same throw up the middle. He has a good enough arm to make most of the throws but he needs to work on getting his feet set quicker.

Still early in the season and plenty of time to correct the issues mentioned.

I like their potential. Based on tonight, I'm predicting 6-4 and we'll need some breaks to get that.

Edited by patriot pride

Just to add on to what pride said

With the first teams on the field, West scored twice and Jefferson County once. JCHS scored on its first 10 play possession on a diving catch by sherrod, West scored twice in its second possession.

The best looking group for JCHS was by far the defensive line, Brett Denton, Darren Whitehead, 62, 70 and others.

Others that looked good for it being the first week just off the top of my head were Sherrod, Gatlin at times, Adam Rickard, Yeary, Zach Long on defense, Ben Moore. There were plenty more, but thats just a few.

One thing i was impressed with was the leadership that appears to be on this team. Late in the scrimmage, deep into the second team workouts, i saw Rickard over on the sideline coaching a younger kid, explaining to him some things. I also saw this with Sherrod earlier in the day. Also Whitehead at the beginning did a good job of keeping up the intensity.

An area of concern is the secondary, they seem to be having a problem covering slants and stuff across the middle. But there are some good athletes back there so it may just be that they need to get better adjusted.

Stepp is a great athlete, quickness wise and jump, but he has to learn to be more physical. That was something he lacked in bball as well.

Euverard said after the scrimmage, they have a great group of receivers and they have to get it in their hands

A little of both. For the line, there were times when spencer had a lot of time to pass, and sometimes he didn't. West blitzed about every play though so that had a lot to do with it.

As for running, Christian didn't standout in my opinion. Made some bad cuts, etc. The second team offense couldn't keep from fumbling.

Just a few notes from Mondays scrimmage at Knox Central

The Jefferson County varsity outscored Central 1-0.

The lone touchdown was a 99 yard interception return by christian mcfall. Mcfall also had a 70 yard touchdown run that got called back due to a fantom holding call.

Central left its varsity qb in almost the entire scrimmage and the second team scored a couple of tds against the JC second and third team defense.

The offensive line played a lot better in run, but still is struggling with pass protection.

Jeff County looked a lot better this time than they did against Knox West. FB Brooks and TB McFall both had several solid runs. O Line did their jobs on the blocks for the ground game but need to get it together for the pass plays. I'm sure the coaches will work on that today. Defense looked pretty good overall. However Central did make some nice pass plays.

The team looks like it is coming together pretty good and should be in good shape for the start of the season. Next is Carter, at Carter on Wednesday.

Keep up the good work guys. And remember, you play like you practice. Gotta give it 110% every time you step on the field.

Just to let you know a couple of things DZ.

When the the ones went against the ones, JC did have a 1-0 advantage on that interception. Number 13 was a really good player. The kid at QB for Central at that scrimmage has not been the starting QB. Central has had a few kids banged up and the starting TB, QB and 2 O linemen did not play or played only a couple of snaps. Our starting MLB also did not dress.

Some observations about the teams. I don't put a lot of stock into these things as coaches are not game planning, but they are having the kids work on certain situations. I thought both teams did some nice things with the running games. JC has some good sized kids and 13 was a really good runner as was the FB. The passing game was painful to watch. I think JC threw more interceptions than completions and Central's timing was way off. JC played a lot of kids both ways. I don't know if your coach was using this as conditioning or if that is what they will do this year. Central was much more liberal subbing during the ones vs ones, and less kids played both ways. Central's starters did score against JC reserves. When the reserves played, Central's reserves outrscored the JC reserves 4 to 1.

Both teams have a ways to go. That what these things are for.

Good luck to the Pats this year!!