Indy @ Hillwood

indyrep

I have never, EVER said anything about his personal life. Like I said before, you can spin it anyway you like, but it was a bush league move, period. He needs to remember that even though he got JP a record, he also thoroughly, and without provocation, embarassed about 50 kids from Loretto with a "national" headline. There are always two sides. He just only sees one. At least he is not still registering under 5-6 names to defend himself on here anymore (at least I don't think he is). I respect your opinion as well and a "hater" I am not. :thumb: Don't even coach football. However I do know right from wrong and I am not afraid to tell you or anyone else. I call 'em the way I see 'em. :lol:

Edited by bigchief

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they are all referring to the fact that he still had his starting quarterback in the game throwing enough touchdown passes to set a state record while having a 70 point lead in the 4th quarter. You can spin that any way you want to and it is still bush league. :thumb: I don't think Loretto is on his schedule in 5A.

That happened 4 or 5 years ago. It is in the past. I didn't like it at the time either, but it happened. He seems to be an easy target because he wears his heart on his sleeve and likes to have fun with the game. Nothing wrong with making the game fun. He loves the kids he coaches and works very hard at being the best he can be.

I got mixed emotions about that game against Loretto Bigchief, and I certainly respect your opinion. In fact, if Scott had to do it all over again, he may have decided to do that differently. However, JP has a state record and got national headlines, which is something he can cherish for the rest of his life. I have to admit, if I was a coach and had a kid on the verge of doing something that special, I would want him to do it. You can spin that as bush league, but Scott Smith had/has a duty to look out for his kid's best interests first!!

I defend Scott on here a lot, but that is because I played for him and he ALWAYS made football fun for HIS KIDS. I know the real Scott Smith, who is a great in-class teacher, as well as a darn good football coach. A lot of you all know its just a matter of time until he's making a run at Indy, so you're getting your licks in now. I've seen you guys dog him about his personal life, now that's bush league. 50% of America has a divorce on their resume, sometimes things just don't work out. I haven't spoken to Scott Smith in a couple of years, but I have talked to people who have and they say he's as content and happy now at Indy as he ever has been. Some of you haters need to apply for the Dave Chappelle player hater's ball. There are some potential winners posting on here.

HATE.....HATE.....HATE......Can't outcoach him, so HATE ON HIM.

McNine,

I agree with you on this one. He is easy for the haters to hate. My son loves him as the HC at IHS. I haven't always agreed with everything he has done, but I respect him and his coaching ability. Everybody makes mistakes and Scott would tell you he's made his share. But, I have never known him to not take responsibility for what he does. I bet he was fun to play for. After all it is still a game.

McNine,

I agree with you on this one. He is easy for the haters to hate. My son loves him as the HC at IHS. I haven't always agreed with everything he has done, but I respect him and his coaching ability. Everybody makes mistakes and Scott would tell you he's made his share. But, I have never known him to not take responsibility for what he does. I bet he was fun to play for. After all it is still a game.

What about the matchup between these two schools Friday? What potential problems do these two teams give each other? Offensive sets, speed, defense, special teams, and matchups on the line. Those are things fans want to know and look out for as they are watching in the stands (if there are any at Bellevue Middle School). All this talk about Coach Smith is going to get this thread closed. Let's talk about football between these two teams. Thank you. :thumb:

BD,

Not stalking you at all. You're the one obsessed with hating Coach Smith and always seem to turn up in any thread about Indy and then you get on your soapbox about him. Your continuous ragging on him is getting old, that's all. I am definitely not Scott Smith but am close to the program. You'll never hear Coach Smith whine about someone running up the score on him. In fact I have personally heard him tell a coach who asked if we wanted a running clock at halftime of a game in the first year we were getting killed in "NO WAY. Don't take it easy on us. If you can score 100 points. do it." I've also never heard Coach Smith make any lame excuses for losing a game. When IHS loses it is because they got beat by a better team that game. Nothing about the district lines, or no experience, etc. Just, "We got beat."

I never said I represent a dynasty. I have a son that plays for IHS and am a fan. I know the talent and the coaching staff really well and they will be a very good team this year. They very possibly could make the playoffs this year also. I've never said anything about winning a state championship this year, although that would be every teams goal.

Just letting you know where I stand. Indy's future is bright with Coach Smith and his coaching staff on the sidelines. Everytime someone comes into a thread about IHS and rags on the coach, I will say something. I would expect you to do the same for your team. After all it is a fan football discussion forum and we all have our opinions.

Stalking...the term is accountability.....something smitty hasn't had to do much of. The point you are missing is RESPECT. Not many respect him and he doesn't care to earn it. I like what the shadow said about what a coach is...and all smitty has is coach on his sleeve.

As far as smitty is concerned...I will post whenever and wherever....you can do the same.

Indy should do well.....they have had everything handed to them to get going at the 5a level. With no realignment, they will be the largest 5a school in 3 yrs. They OUGHT to be good with those numbers. As far as smitty goes...let's see if Indy loses a lot if the mercenary stays. The region they are in is currently down some this year, so I see success...providing there are no injuries.....or internal conflicts with the "transfers"

I happen to live in the Indy zone now with the new boundaries.....barf!!!!

The fact that the thread headed this direction says a lot about the guy

The fact that the thread headed this direction says a lot about the guy

Believe what you want. Nobody is perfect, except for maybe you. I guess if you're perfect then you can hate everyone that isn't perfect. This thread headed in the direction it did because you hijacked it and started your Hate Smitty campaign again.

You make it sound like he drew the boundry lines himself to get all the football talent. Page is open-zoned so why doesn't everyone go there? Brentwood is also open-zoned. Personally I wish they would re-draw the lines to pull some of the traffic off of 31 and move it over on Arno Rd.

I guess it is hard to talk football when you hate someone so much.

What about the matchup between these two schools Friday? What potential problems do these two teams give each other? Offensive sets, speed, defense, special teams, and matchups on the line. Those are things fans want to know and look out for as they are watching in the stands (if there are any at Bellevue Middle School). All this talk about Coach Smith is going to get this thread closed. Let's talk about football between these two teams. Thank you. :blink:

SD,

Can't speak for Hillwood except most have said they will have problems winning games this year. Here is my thoughts about Indy. Some concerns I have from last week were their penalties and the FG kicking game. You can attribute some of the penalties to being an early game, but they will not be able to get 95 yards in penalties against the better region teams and still win. They must eliminate thos mistakes.

They also need to improve the FG kicking game. I know their kicking coach and he will work on improving it. They have one of the best long snappers I have ever seen in Scotty Hazzard. They will get better. In a close game it will be important.

2 things are potential roadblocks that the Indy players need to focus on. Not letting the Page win get them too overconfident and the game being moved to Bellvue Middle School. I know the coaching staff is working on those things this week.

Hillwood will be one of, if not the most athletic teams Independence will face. Metro kids with great talent and terrific team speed but an overall lack of discipline.

Coach Baskin will have this team improved over time, but I don't feel like this year is the year. Independence lost to Hillwood last year by six inches and Hillwood has since graduated Antonio Lewis and Jared Clodfelter among others. They will be a young team and they will certainly be fired up for the first game, although the location of the game will dampen that intensity.

Offensively, Independence probably has too much for the Hilltoppers young defense. You never know what's going to happen in a game, but it's almost safe to say that Cordell, Darnell, Baugh, and Pettigrew will get on the board a few times tommorow night.

Independence's defense needs to work on run stopping. Quick backs have always given them trouble and they face a very good one in two weeks (Frashod Barlow of Centennial) so this game will be a good test for that. Look for the D-Line to have pressure all night long. However, if the first wave fails to wrap up, Hillwood could break a run or two as their tailback has lightning speed (or so I'm told).

Intangibles are a main focus, as Tnsparty said. Penalties definitely need to be cut back from 11. Conditioning is also a concern: seven players went down with cramps last game. Let's see how the Eagles have adjusted these aspects of their game.

I pick Independence 35-10. Go Eagles!

Indy 35 Hillwood 13. I'm staying on the Indy bandwagon as a 7 win team this year. The Region is in transition and the Eagles have some momentum and a coach with a gold ball on his resume (like him or not). This program is Ravenwood in 2004. They will make the playoffs and scare the heck out of someone when they get there with their spread offense. 2007 is their year to make something big happen, but they look like they may crash the party early.

Believe what you want. Nobody is perfect, except for maybe you. I guess if you're perfect then you can hate everyone that isn't perfect. This thread headed in the direction it did because you hijacked it and started your Hate Smitty campaign again.

You make it sound like he drew the boundry lines himself to get all the football talent. Page is open-zoned so why doesn't everyone go there? Brentwood is also open-zoned. Personally I wish they would re-draw the lines to pull some of the traffic off of 31 and move it over on Arno Rd.

I guess it is hard to talk football when you hate someone so much.

Definitely not perfect......don't hate the man or anyone....I don't RESPECT him nor has he done anything to have others do that. I have never seen another coach take up for the guy. Page was not open-zoned to those students that were re-aligned to Indy...go check your school board notes.

Thanks for the credit on the hijack deal. I think if you re-read the thread there were several others jumping in there.