Division II Football restructuring?

PowerSweep

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was aware of a couple of court cases challenging the multiplier, but was not aware that the supreme court had made any rulings??? The Nashvile City paper is preparing an article on teh multiplier .

D2 is being ruled unconstitutional as per the "state actor" ruling. That means schools can not be discriminated against if an organization is acting on the states behalf ... which so happens the TSSAA is.

Now the multiplier, that is another issue that is working it's way through the courts in a couple of locals. I'm sure it will be one here soon too now that the courts have ruled on D2.

"D2 is being ruled unconstitutional as per the "state actor" ruling. That means schools can not be discriminated against if an organization is acting on the states behalf ... which so happens the TSSAA is.

Now the multiplier, that is another issue that is working it's way through the courts in a couple of locals. I'm sure it will be one here soon too now that the courts have ruled on D2."

so i guess you aren't one of those who complain about our "litigious society"?

suing for the "inalienable right" to play weak opponents.

this has to be somebody's finest hour.

I think Brentwood Academy should sue for the right to play in Division 1, Class 1A. Maybe they can get in a region with Red Boiling Springs.

Didn't Brentwood Academy voluntarily move up to 5A? If that's true, I find it very interesting that a 1A size school moved up. Of course, that still wasn't good enough for some.

so i guess you aren't one of those who complain about our "litigious society"?

suing for the "inalienable right" to play weak opponents.

this has to be somebody's finest hour.

The legal system is set up to protect the rights for those that have been wronged. The courts agree. Nothing more to say about that. <_<

Edited by tnsddeveloper

The legal system is set up to protect the rights for those that have been wronged. The courts agree. Nothing more to say about that. :ph34r:

I disagree. The TSSAA should force all Private schools to play in the Private school league. Then you drop the multiplier and get back to basics. TSSAA under Ronnie Carter has had more issues(law Suits) That at anytime before. Because he is sensative to the public schools. Public Schools have the most talent just the coaches either can't get them to come out or they do not want to work hard enough to get them out.

I disagree. The TSSAA should force all Private schools to play in the Private school league. Then you drop the multiplier and get back to basics. TSSAA under Ronnie Carter has had more issues(law Suits) That at anytime before. Because he is sensative to the public schools. Public Schools have the most talent just the coaches either can't get them to come out or they do not want to work hard enough to get them out.

Are you being serious? You can't force all privates to play in a private school league. They would be better off dumping the TSSAA and forming their own organization. So the publics have the most talent? I'd like to see your scientific evidence. Please produce.......

Obviously, there are complex legal issues that have been litigated ad nauseum (ad nauseum is Latin for $6 million in legal fees). The problem with your solution of simply segregating all the privates is that the TSSAA is a "state actor" and as such can't arbitrarily discriminate against its members because, for all practical purposes, they have to join the TSSAA to participate in high school athletics. I believe the evidence of the TSSAA as a state actor was its pension plan, some other state benefits and its position as sole arbiter of high school athletics in the state. Apparently you can legally (until a school is willing to challenge it in the courts) segregate schools that give scholarships from those that don't. But how do you descriminate with a multiple factor against schools that voluntarily give up their scholarships in order to remove the difference between themselves and publics? This policy seems to not provide equal treatment under the law and apparently is being challenged in other states with a multplier. This all might prove to be a mute issue when the TSSAA throws in the towell on the BA suit, declares bankruptcy and forms another organization completely independent of the state whose members are only public schools. Of course, the legislature will then get into the act and things really get interesting. Tom Murphy, former speaker of the GA house, arbitrarily instituted a 1.5 multiplier when his niece's forensic (debate) team kept getting beat by a private school. Tom Murphy was subsequently voted out and the multiplier will be eliminated in 2008. Other states' public private policies are included in

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...mplate=printart

This is probably about half right but half right is about half better than wrong.

Edited by uncfan13

Fist of all, your solution separating private and public has already destroyed some great natural rivalries. Second many private schools regularly play up in class to give their teams more challenge...we didn't need the TSSAA and the public schools to accomplish this. Third, if you are correct about the publics being loaded in talent (and they should have much more talent that many of the private schools, especially the DI schools that do not recruit and offer athletic related financial support)....then why in Heaven's name do you need a multiplier or a rule eliminating privates from playing publics. Actually I would rather see our DI privates all move to private vs private football if it would stop the publics from complaining. We could handle the travel of the football team and the longer trips for 2 or 3 travel games a year, but the killer is putting that type of travel requirement on our track, soccer, baseball, softball, golf teams etc. In most cases we're already playing up in these categories but eliminating private public play in these sports only puts unreasonable costs and travel risks on all of the kids in the state. Public and Private! Public schools have talent and depth...it shouldn't take a multiplier to bring them to a competitive level....just desire and effort....something they will need to develop to be successful in life ....out of public school! Maybe the TSSAA will make sure the public shool grads get a 1.8 salary multiplier when they graduate too!! :thumb: Maybe not? :blink:

Fist of all, your solution separating private and public has already destroyed some great natural rivalries. Second many private schools regularly play up in class to give their teams more challenge...we didn't need the TSSAA and the public schools to accomplish this. Third, if you are correct about the publics being loaded in talent (and they should have much more talent that many of the private schools, especially the DI schools that do not recruit and offer athletic related financial support)....then why in Heaven's name do you need a multiplier or a rule eliminating privates from playing publics. Actually I would rather see our DI privates all move to private vs private football if it would stop the publics from complaining. We could handle the travel of the football team and the longer trips for 2 or 3 travel games a year, but the killer is putting that type of travel requirement on our track, soccer, baseball, softball, golf teams etc. In most cases we're already playing up in these categories but eliminating private public play in these sports only puts unreasonable costs and travel risks on all of the kids in the state. Public and Private! Public schools have talent and depth...it shouldn't take a multiplier to bring them to a competitive level....just desire and effort....something they will need to develop to be successful in life ....out of public school! Maybe the TSSAA will make sure the public shool grads get a 1.8 salary multiplier when they graduate too!! :thumb: Maybe not? :blink: