Tennessean Article about 5-1A expanding.

GreenMan

This is quoted from the article:

"Region 5-A will be crowded next season if no action is taken by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association in its Board of Control meeting set for 9 a.m. today at the TSSAA’s Hermitage office.

The football region will grow to 10 teams in 2007 after Middle Tennessee Christian School and Community are added. Both currently plan to field varsity programs and compete in region play next year.

It would be the only region in the state with 10 football teams.

“That could mean nine (region) games for teams in that region,” TSSAA Executive Director Ronnie Carter said.

I say "BOO HOO", stick em in there. Region 6-1A played 9 region games for a long time. It was alot of pressure on every team in our region, while most other regions had five region games (5-1a). Let some one else endure a 9-game must win situation.

"Boo Hoo"? You obviously have a very short memory. Cascade, Forrest and Eagleville were all part of the old 10-team Region 6-1A that you mention. In fact, it was Eagleville entering the region that increased the region from 9 to 10 teams for the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

The biggest issue Cascade has with a 10-team Region 5 is the one non-region game we can then schedule. Cascade has played Moore County and Huntland every year the school has been in existence. However, with the new 10-team region, one, or both, of these long-time series is going to end, and the ending of old rivalries that have existed for 30 years (Cascade High School opened in 1976) is certainly a sad situation for many of us who still wish that Cascade was competing in 6-1A. While this is just a guess on my part, I would imagine that Forrest feels the same way and will also be losing a game with a long-time rival from their old Region 6 years.

How would you like it if the TSSAA passed down a ruling that put the Collinwood-Wayne Co game in jeopardy,or worse, caused it to not occur. No one in either community would be in favor of that ruling. Same deal here in Wartrace. We "ain't one bit" happy about the situation, but the TSSAA has ruled and there is nothing left to discuss.

Edited by brichard

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Boo Hoo"? You obviously have a very short memory. Cascade, Forrest and Eagleville were all part of the old 10-team Region 6-1A that you mention. In fact, it was Eagleville entering the region that increased the region from 9 to 10 teams for the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

The biggest issue Cascade has with a 10-team Region 5 is the one non-region game we can then schedule. Cascade has played Moore County and Huntland every year the school has been in existence. However, with the new 10-team region, one, or both, of these long-time series is going to end, and the ending of old rivalries that have existed for 30 years (Cascade High School opened in 1976) is certainly a sad situation for many of us who still wish that Cascade was competing in 6-1A. While this is just a guess on my part, I would imagine that Forrest feels the same way and will also be losing a game with a long-time rival from their old Region 6 years.

How would you like it if the TSSAA passed down a ruling that put the Collinwood-Wayne Co game in jeopardy,or worse, caused it to not occur. No one in either community would be in favor of that ruling. Same deal here in Wartrace. We "ain't one bit" happy about the situation, but the TSSAA has ruled and there is nothing left to discuss.

We've played Huntland and Moore County a lot longer than Cascade has just because we've been in existance a lot longer. We do miss them, as well as Cornersville ( I think they refused to play us last year, not sure. That's why we picked up CA and Richland.). I'd like to play those guys again, but we did enjoy all our new Region 5 games last year. I know that most of the people who came to Chapel Hill were very nice and we got really nice treatment at the away games, probably nicer than we were treated at times in Cornersville. I just hate to see so many teams in one when there a lot fewer in others.

Wartrace High School played Moore Co. and Huntland for years before Cascade became a Wartrace - Bell Buckle combined school. The football rivalry between the schools goes back to the late 1800's... I remember some knock-down-drag-out battles back in the 40's and 50's in the old Duck River Valley Conference... but then everybody isn't as old as I am.