what's wrong with red boiling springs?

superac777

There are four parts to the problem:

1. ADMINISTRATION: I don't know about the current administration but I know for a fact that some high quality people spoke with the administration about the position when they got rid of the previous head coach. Overall, the administration in Macon County does not "think outside of the box" and does not give their full support to football.

2. BASKETBALL: I do not know if it is the basketball coaches, players, coaches, administration, or tradition... but until all of the talent at RBS comes out for football, they will never win more than one or two games a year. At schools with less than 200 students, you can't have athletes playing only one sport. Small schools that do well have athletes that play two or three sports and they are encouraged to do so by ALL COACHES ON STAFF and the full support of the administration.

3. TRADITION: RBS has NO TRADITION of winning in football. Basketball and baseball teams win their share of games but football is all but dead.

4. COACHING: For the most part, top coaches will not apply for the position. With a few exceptions, the only coaches that will accept the position are local boys and those who have some connection to the area. There is nothing wrong with that but you don't get the large pool of applicants that can bring varied coaching experiences to the table. In defense of the current coaching staff, you can certainly get tunnel vision when the numbers are down and you keep getting belted week after week. You begin to change what you do to limit the amount of points an opponent can score against you and play the clock.

It's tough to be a head coach at a small school like RBS but I have no doubt the boys appreciate your efforts. Maybe RBS will never change but we must remember that the BULLDOGS do have a small but very loyal fan base of parents and alumni. They have a nice little facility and some good kids. You have to pull for them to turn it all around some day but who knows if or when that will ever happen.

Red Boiling Springs is a very small community and until all of the boys are encouraged to come out and play football nothing will change. Football programs begin at the youth level and are developed through the middle school programs to the high school. Somewhere along the way at RBS many of the more talented boys are encouraged to specialize in only baseball or basketball. This must change if RBS is every to have a winning season.

Edited by ELA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COACHING!! Bottom Line.

I am very close to the program at RBS and I would have to agree with you that coaching is the problem. But the problem is not the current staff, it is the lack of coaches on the staff. Coach Boles has only one assistant and he has to come from a school on the west side of the county, which means he doesn't get there until one hour into practice. On friday nights, they have noone in the booth and it is impossible for a sideline coach to tell whats going on without an eye in the sky. It is almost unheard of this day and time that a team with 25+ players only has 2 coaches. If you ask me vey few people in the community and the school system support or have ever supported the football program at RBS, even when they did win a few games. I for one think the coaches at RBS do their best under the conditions they have to work in. Hang tough coach Boles and better things will happen.

Two words, Mike Prock.
He is the Director of school and wants nothing more than to do away with the program. He is pretty much expected RBS to build a program with basically no weight room (unless the one they have has made major changes in the last three years. With only two supplements coaches, a practice field that is old pasture land tha is on a hill side. A former coach there actually was able to get a lot of dirt donated to fill in part of it a level it up some but it still slopes about 10-12 feet from left to right. Kids dont want to play for a program where everything even looks crappy. Put some money into the program and make it look like it means something to the community and it will begin to mean something to the athletes in the school because the school has some talented athletes and some fine young men that could help turn the program around. By the way, 699 is the prefix, 666 is Lafayette.

AMEN brother.

I am very close to the program at RBS and I would have to agree with you that coaching is the problem. But the problem is not the current staff, it is the lack of coaches on the staff. Coach Boles has only one assistant and he has to come from a school on the west side of the county, which means he doesn't get there until one hour into practice. On friday nights, they have noone in the booth and it is impossible for a sideline coach to tell whats going on without an eye in the sky. It is almost unheard of this day and time that a team with 25+ players only has 2 coaches. If you ask me vey few people in the community and the school system support or have ever supported the football program at RBS, even when they did win a few games. I for one think the coaches at RBS do their best under the conditions they have to work in. Hang tough coach Boles and better things will happen.

Regit, I think you and I have posted about this in years past. I have a staff of 11 assistant coaches and 130 football players on my team. It is hard for me to imagine they only have one paid assistant coach. This goes back to administrative support. It is a TOP DOWN problem. If the Director of schools doesn't open up the purse strings to hire the right people this program is doomed to stay the same. How frustrating for Coach Boles. I would say he would need three paid assistant coaches and at least one volunteer.

2 coaches..Wow! That is unbleieveable. The admin needs to support the team. I agree that a small school needs atheletes to play 2 or 3 sports.

Regit, I think you and I have posted about this in years past. I have a staff of 11 assistant coaches and 130 football players on my team. It is hard for me to imagine they only have one paid assistant coach. This goes back to administrative support. It is a TOP DOWN problem. If the Director of schools doesn't open up the purse strings to hire the right people this program is doomed to stay the same. How frustrating for Coach Boles.

I would say he would need three paid assistant coaches and at least one volunteer.

RBS had a volunteer coach during the spring and most of the summer, but he was "lured" away by Macon County High to coach their junior high.

i don't know if it's the 666 prefix for the phone numbers out there but my god they are cursed.every year i hope the rbs bulldogs football will improve and make the playoffs instead they get blown out and lose about every game:( i read their middle school team is pretty good so what happens? they lost 31 games in a row not including the game mjca had to fft to them in which rbs lost.

...RBS is not 666....that would be there neighboring city lay-flat...i would know because i am from there.....and it must not be the 666 prefix bcuz it sure is working for us dont you think?Have you ever been to rbs?I myself loveit there but the county never gives them anything....including coaching.....and for the record their prefix is 699...B)

Two words, Mike Prock. He is the Director of school and wants nothing more than to do away with the program. He is pretty much expected RBS to build a program with basically no weight room (unless the one they have has made major changes in the last three years. With only two supplements coaches, a practice field that is old pasture land tha is on a hill side. A former coach there actually was able to get a lot of dirt donated to fill in part of it a level it up some but it still slopes about 10-12 feet from left to right. Kids dont want to play for a program where everything even looks crappy. Put some money into the program and make it look like it means something to the community and it will begin to mean something to the athletes in the school because the school has some talented athletes and some fine young men that could help turn the program around. By the way, 699 is the prefix, 666 is Lafayette.

My god i wish somebody would blame something else on mike prock.He aint got nothin to do with why they are horrible. they stink because they dont have any dang talent. Just like a few years ago with the macon co baskeball. Everybody said it waz all prock because he didnt want macon basketball to be good. Well fifteen wins last year and i guarantee a 20win this year for them. I dont think hes as bad as everybody thinks,but thats just me...Im not one to blame it on that. I say its lack of talent and coaching.