Whitehaven vs. Germantown

kwc

OK Whitehaven and Germantown folks:

Let's get this party started. The game is at Germantown and both teams have just previously played two excellent 4A teams. Germantown eeked out a 3-0 win @ the Rock against JCM. Whitehaven lost by 3 to the Golden Wildcats @ Melrose stadium. I personally think this is going to be a sloberknocker of a game. JCM doesn't have the passing game Whitehaven has. Melrose doesn't have the punishing run game of Germantown. Both schools have very good defenses.

I'm going to open by saying Whitehaven in a close hard fought battle, 14 -13, or something like that.

What do you guys think? Come on ... don't sit there like a bump on a log ... let's get some dialogue going!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get this party started. The game is at Germantown and both teams have just previously played two excellent 4A teams. Germantown eeked out a 3-0 win @ the Rock against JCM. Whitehaven lost by 3 to the Golden Wildcats @ Melrose stadium. I personally think this is going to be a sloberknocker of a game. JCM doesn't have the passing game Whitehaven has. Melrose doesn't have the punishing run game of Germantown. Both schools have very good defenses.

I'm going to open by saying Whitehaven in a close hard fought battle, 14 -13, or something like that.

What do you guys think? Come on ... don't sit there like a bump on a log ... let's get some dialogue going!

Gtown by 10. The team in 8-5a this year is going to be Wooddale. Explosive o and very fast D.

Gtown by 10. The team in 8-5a this year is going to be Wooddale. Explosive o and very fast D.

Gtown by 10 huh? ... OOOOO K.

Wooddale is the team to beat? ... I know they are good, and they thrashed East. But G-Town, Whitehaven, Whitestation, Collierville, and Houston are all good teams as well. Honestly I think that with the competition in this region being as good as it is, it is way too early in the season to be making that type of claim. Hamilton and Kirby are the only schools in this region you can honestly look at and say those teams are awful. Everybody else has a legitimate chance at securing a playoff spot. 4 playoff spots, 6 good teams.

Thats why this G-Town/Whitehaven game is CRUCIAL. Its the 1st region game for each team. Not to mention ... this game is getting more and more hostile as the series gets older. Not as hostile as a G-town/Houston game or Houston/Collierville or G-town/Collierville ... but it's beginning to rank up there. There is no love lost between these two programs. You gotta love it!

Gtown by 10 huh? ... OOOOO K.

Wooddale is the team to beat? ... I know they are good, and they thrashed East. But G-Town, Whitehaven, Whitestation, Collierville, and Houston are all good teams as well. Honestly I think that with the competition in this region being as good as it is, it is way too early in the season to be making that type of claim. Hamilton and Kirby are the only schools in this region you can honestly look at and say those teams are awful. Everybody else has a legitimate chance at securing a playoff spot. 4 playoff spots, 6 good teams.

Thats why this G-Town/Whitehaven game is CRUCIAL. Its the 1st region game for each team. Not to mention ... this game is getting more and more hostile as the series gets older. Not as hostile as a G-town/Houston game or Houston/Collierville or G-town/Collierville ... but it's beginning to rank up there. There is no love lost between these two programs. You gotta love it!

The tigers are more talented, but they have got to use it. Their offense needs to open up. Also you know at Gtown they will not get the calls. I am actually pulling for Whitehaven. The Wooddale /Whitehaven game should be great to after last years buzzer beater.

Whitehaven 20 -- Germantown 10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KWC,

Whitehaven appears to have a better team this year vs last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They did a decent job vs Melrose, but its secondary got picked apart...They must cut down on the penalties, though.

This week, I do not expect Germantown to throw the ball around, like Melrose did. Germantown is a ball-control, run-oriented team. As such, I don't expect Whitehaven's secondary to get exposed very much. It's defensive line & LBs will get tested, severely. They'd better have lots of stamina, 'cause Gtown will probably try to ram the ball right down Whitehaven's throat....all night long!

I think that Whitehaven can come away with a win, provided it cuts down on the penalties and passes the ball more (a lot more) than it did vs. Melrose. For instance, the quick-hitting 5 yard dump-pass across the middle is usually available vs Gtwn, as Gtwn likes to blitz it's linebackers, a whole lot! It must get its tall receivers involved more. It would be helpful to get that #8 (what's his name, anyway, KWC?) involved in the offense, more. He's a FAST playmaker who could give Gtown fits.

Bottom-Line: This is a matchup of speed and finesse (Whitehaven) vs. pure power (Gtwn). The team that appears to be imposing its offensive strength, throughout the 1st-half, will likely go on to win this game!

Whitehaven by 10. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :o

Germantown wants to control the clock and force bad decisions.. There will be nothing fancy from them. For Whitehaven to have a chance, they will have to open up their offense and handle the bltzing pressure Germantown likes to bring.

Since this game is at Germantown, I have to give them a slight edge. However, I would not be shocked to see Whitehaven pull out a win if they can get the passing game going.

As always, execution and not style of play will be the deciding factor

Germantown wants to control the clock and force bad decisions.. There will be nothing fancy from them. For Whitehaven to have a chance, they will have to open up their offense and handle the bltzing pressure Germantown likes to bring.

Since this game is at Germantown, I have to give them a slight edge. However, I would not be shocked to see Whitehaven pull out a win if they can get the passing game going.

If you can get Gtown to get away from the run it will help....They should not get behind the speed of whitehaven: if whitehave goes vertical and streches the d they can win.

I agree, for Whitehaven to have a chance they must finally realize that they are a passing team this year and not a run-centered team like they are used to being. I don't think Germantown will be able to score on whitehaven's defense which has improved since last year. Should be a good game with a lot of hard hitting and great defense!! This game is crucial for a playoff spot.

Germantown last week gained 178 total yards against JCM.

112 rushing

66 passing

VG:

That stat speaks volumes about JCM's defense to only allow 112 rushing yards against G-Town. I'd like to get your opinion about the G-Town offense and defense. How did you like their RB's and the play of the QB? How did their OL look? I'm curious about their DL and LB's as well ... how did their defense look and what kind of plays did JCM run against them?

I agree, for Whitehaven to have a chance they must finally realize that they are a passing team this year and not a run-centered team like they are used to being. I don't think Germantown will be able to score on whitehaven's defense which has improved since last year. Should be a good game with a lot of hard hitting and great defense!! This game is crucial for a playoff spot.

The Commercial Appeal had a lot of good things to say about G-Towns DB's when they did the 8-5A capsule for the 2006 season. In fact ... that was the part of the G-Town defense they highlighted. We already know they played a very good JCM team and held them scoreless. I agree that Whitehaven needs to open it up, but that's easier said then done against G-Town. If the DB's are that good and the DL gets pressure on our QB ... it could be disaterous if our QB makes unwise decisions. Besides ... we know that Whitehaven is going to try to establish the run ... and rightfully so. I haven't seen this years QB at Whitehaven, so I don't know if going all out in the passing game is a wise decision. I will see this Friday though.

OMW:

I agree with your synopsis. I don't see this being a high scoring affair. The G-Town deffense is going to keep the Whitehaven WR beneath them ... staying deep. If Whitehaven tries to throw deep ... they will blitz the LB's while the DB's play deep. Whitehaven will have to take what they are given and be patient on offense. Whitehaven HAS to be able to run the ball some ... not a lot ... but be respectable. G-Town will grind it away on offense and throw in the occasional pass to keep you honest. Good tackeling is a must for the Whitehaven 'D'. Mental mistakes will kill a drive for both teams and will energize the other teams offense if the 'D' is the guilty party.

I'm excited ... this is going to be a good game!