REGION 7-3A PREVIEW

Big games on 9-15-06 made a little clearer the pecking order in 7-3A.....Crockett Co moved in the front albeit a shaky lead...The Cavs have what could be another monster game on 10-20-06 in Covington,a team that defeated the Cavs twice last year and ended their season......Covington is having their usual fine start to a season....Dyersburg finally lost a game since moving down from 4A...Obion Co put themselves in a position to make the postseason...Dyer Co showed they have a special player in Andre Flowers...Ripley is off to a good start,surprising some,with their 3-1 record after some off the field situations and Haywood,surprising to me,is bringing up the rear......Here's a first look at region play this week....It's out of region play where the teams in what could be the strongest top-to-bottom region in the state are a strong 15-2 on the year......

(3-2)MUNFORD COUGARS @ #4(4-0 1-0)COVINGTON CHARGERS.......

The 4A Cougars are coming off a huge win over JCM.....They will be no pushover for the Chargers....Covington won this game 44-12 last year in Munford...I feel like it will be much closer this time around....Covington is coming off a big win in Brownsville over Haywood Co...Not an easy place to win....Munford is in a pattern this year...Win...Lose...Win...Lose...Win....This week be go true to form...Covington wins

(2-2)BOLIVAR TIGERS @ #5(4-0 2-0)CROCKETT CO. CAVALIERS......

The Cavs made a loud statement Friday night...Hey listen folks....They are for real!!!...This one will be real easy to forecast and I won't spend much time on it...Bolivar is improved...But not NEAR enough....Crockett Co. not only moves up in the new poll on Tuesday but will rout the Tigers on Friday.....

(3-1)TRENTON PEABODY @ #9(3-1 1-1)DYER CO. CHOCTAWS......

This is an interesting match-up..The Golden Tide had one get away from them Friday night...They had a very good Humboldt team beat only to let a special teams play where they only had 10 men on the field turn the Tide(PUN INTENDED)...Dyer Co tasted defeat for the first time Friday night in the loss at OCCHS....The Choctaws are going to have to get someone else involved on offense....They will be in trouble when they face a team that can stop the run....They have a good,solid O-line and their QB showed potential in the OC game...Who will bounce off the mat and get back in the win column???....I've almost put down the Tide...I think it's a toss-up....I'm going with the Choctaws in a very close game......

(4-0)FAYETTE-WARE WILDCATS @ (1-4 0-2)HAYWOOD CO. TOMCATS.....

The Tomcats get another state ranked team to play this week....Fayette-Ware has come along way baby....They were awful right before Tim Thompson brought a winning attitude to Sommerville..They were picked 5th in 6-3A by a poll of coaches before the season,but they will fight it out with Jax SS for the league title....The Wildcats are putting up big numbers on offense and have recorded two shutouts....Haywood....What can I say???...What is up in Brownsville??...They have so much talent.....I have a feeling somewhere,somehow they will put it together and ruin someones season...I don't think it will be Fayette-Ware though...Fayette-Ware will win.....

(2-2)UNION CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES vs. (3-1 1-1)OBION CO. CENTRAL REBELS......

The Tornadoes come in with wins over 1A opponents and losses against 2A opponents....Union City is trying to replace a whole bunch of seniors.....Obion Co. has a whole bunch of seniors....Union City is tough in 1A....Obion Central aint in 1A though...They are in 3A....Obion Central always gets up for Union City and this year will be no different..The Rebel seniors are trying to become only the second group of players to not lose to Union City in their four years of playing against the Tornadoes...Last years group being the first...That means OC is trying to win their 5th in a row in a series, up until the last four years, has been dominated by the Tornadoes....I'm an old Tornado..I graduated in 1984 and played on Randy Barnes' first two teams...We were 17-5 in those two years and had shut-out wins over the Rebels....Matter of fact,I played on the UC team that holds the record for the biggest point differential in the series,42 points....It was also in front of then governor Lamar Alexander..I told my son not to break my record...If OC plays offense like they have the last two weeks(scoring 40 and 44 points)and play defense like they did against Gibson Co,this thing could get ugly..Oh,it's my brothers 20th class reunion this weekend too...He also a Tornado alum....Family Fued and Civil War....And Fall Fest..What a weekend!!!...OC will get that 5th win in a row and head into a huge match-up at Covington with a 4-1 first half of the year record.......

(1-2)TREADWELL EAGLES @ (3-1 0-1)RIPLEY TIGERS......

Another Memphis team for the Tigers to beat up on.....The Tigers have started out strong and may have put some of their off-season situations behind them....Treadwell ventured up Hwy 51 once already this year to face Covington...The Chargers clipped the Eagles wings to the tune of 62-6..I don't know if Ripley will do that but I see high 40's to low 50's...Ripley will this match-up pretty easily....

#6(4-1 1-1)DYERSBURG TROJANS....IDLE

The Trojans finally lost in 7-3A play...Also lost for the first time in the regular season for the first time in at least 14 games....The Trojans have the week off..They probably wish they were playing this weekend,if only to get the bad taste of defeat out of their mouths..They get two weeks to prepare for Andre Flowers and county rival,the Dyer County Choctaws......

GO OUT AND SUPPORT THESE KIDS....THEY WORK HARD..SHOW THEM YOU ARE BEHIND THEM!!!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

backintha....After looking over your picks for the week, I wouold have to agree with all. I only differ with you on the fact that I think the DC/trenton game will not be that close. Looking back, you have been pretty much on every week with your picks. What is your record up to now....just curious.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

backintha....After looking over your picks for the week, I wouold have to agree with all. I only differ with you on the fact that I think the DC/trenton game will not be that close. Looking back, you have been pretty much on every week with your picks. What is your record up to now....just curious.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed two....Both HAYWOOD CO.games....The Sheffield game and the Dyer Co. game....I also picked all the UC games except when I did a "John Kerry" flip-flop on the Lake County game...I initially had UC then changed to Lake County...Should have stayed with my gut feeling....

I can't figure Haywood out.....

Trenton has a good team...They had to deal with Adrian Donald last week so they will have seen a good back...Humboldt also has more weapons than Dyer County has....DC relying on Andre Flowers so much is going to hurt them in the end....Had the Choctaws tried to pass more and use another back OC would have been in a world of hurt Friday nite...

I missed two....Both HAYWOOD CO.games....The Sheffield game and the Dyer Co. game....I also picked all the UC games except when I did a "John Kerry" flip-flop on the Lake County game...I initially had UC then changed to Lake County...Should have stayed with my gut feeling....

I can't figure Haywood out.....

Trenton has a good team...They had to deal with Adrian Donald last week so they will have seen a good back...Humboldt also has more weapons than Dyer County has....DC relying on Andre Flowers so much is going to hurt them in the end....Had the Choctaws tried to pass more and use another back OC would have been in a world of hurt Friday nite...

I spoke with a Dyer Co defensive player last night in Dyersburg. He told me that what we had said on the broadcast Friday night. The DC defense spent the night tring to figure what was coming next out of the Rebel O. As I said earlier, this was one of the best executed gameplans by the Rebs I have seen. Spread the wealth, and mix it up. However DC thinks they are still in the middle of this, and they are. I just look for them to rebound this week vs Trenton.

Oh and I must say CONGRATS to the Obion Co. 5th grade youth league team, which I help coach, as they won their season opener Saturday, on the road with an 8-6 win over South Fulton. Also Congrats to the 4th grade team as they picked up a win in SF as well. I hope to be around to call some of these names when they make their way to OC in a few years.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let you obion county guys know how impressed i was with your guys last week. To lose logan parker and still come out and beat a very talented dyer co team which i believe to be on the rise in this region says a lot about your players and coaches. The Rebs made a big move to put themselves in position for a postseason berth, and if they can win one more region game as i have it figured a playoff appearance will almost be a certainty. Good luck!

For my picks...

Covington 24, Munford 14-Munford won't be a pushover, but covington is always strong and munford looks too inconsistent.

Haywood 30, Fayette-Ware 28-The Cats have to bounce of the mat at some point don't they??? I thought with witherspoon and the size and speed stowe's boys always possess, this team would be an easy playoff pick. I think this may be the week they turn it around. However, if FW wins, i will finally be convinced that they are absolutely positively for real.

Crockett Co. 35, Bolivar 7-We always seem to play bolivar after a big game, we always have a little hangover, they always play us tough for a half, the coaches always pitch a fit at halftime, and then we always pull away. No difference in '06. The score has been in this vicinity for at least the past four years, and despite the predictable dyersburg hangover, it will be again. Credit bolivar for improving though. The Hardin Co. win looks much better after the tigers took down north side last friday.

Obion Central 21, Union City 14-The Rebels will play tough at home and grind out another one. Sounds like you guys are big rivals and this one shoud be great. If gas weren't still so expensive i might have to come see for myself!

Trenton Peabody 27. Dyer Co. 17-Kendal Harper is one of the elite young qbs in west tn from all i've heard, and you can bet former CC assistant and Gibson Co. head man Doug Argo, now the trenton offensive coordinator, knows exactly what to do with him. The tide have to be stinging from the ot loss last week. As talented as andre flowers is, and he is BIGTIME talented, his supporting cast isn't strong enough to win it.

Dyersburg-You guys have a great, great, great team. Fighting from behind and scaring the entire CC crowd to death is something that earned you guys a lot of respect from our side. Caldwell is one of the quickest guys i have ever seen at this level, and taylor is a good quarterback. I wish ya'll all the success in the world, but i must say that i hope we DO NOT meet ya'll again in the playoffs cause ya'll are certainly very talented and dangerous. By the way, what is the injury news? I saw elam and one of the o-line prospects both go off at one point and hope its not serious.

Good luck to all region teams! Lets keep our stellar record going!

I spoke with a Dyer Co defensive player last night in Dyersburg. He told me that what we had said on the broadcast Friday night. The DC defense spent the night tring to figure what was coming next out of the Rebel O. As I said earlier, this was one of the best executed gameplans by the Rebs I have seen. Spread the wealth, and mix it up. However DC thinks they are still in the middle of this, and they are. I just look for them to rebound this week vs Trenton.

Oh and I must say CONGRATS to the Obion Co. 5th grade youth league team, which I help coach, as they won their season opener Saturday, on the road with an 8-6 win over South Fulton. Also Congrats to the 4th grade team as they picked up a win in SF as well. I hope to be around to call some of these names when they make their way to OC in a few years.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!

You think they picked on a former coach from OC in the game???..They also sent all the plays in...They didn't signal in one all night long... :thumb:

Crockett Co. 35, Bolivar 7-We always seem to play bolivar after a big game, we always have a little hangover, they always play us tough for a half, the coaches always pitch a fit at halftime, and then we always pull away. No difference in '06. The score has been in this vicinity for at least the past four years, and despite the predictable dyersburg hangover, it will be again. Credit bolivar for improving though. The Hardin Co. win looks much better after the tigers took down north side last friday.

My question is: did CC play Bolivar last year for homecoming? And if not, why the difference this year?

My question is: did CC play Bolivar last year for homecoming? And if not, why the difference this year?

Our homecoming for many years prior to 2005 was manassas. Last year for whatever reason we played ripley-a tough team and a region foe-for homecoming and won 21 to nothing. We played bolivar on the road in 05 and i want to say the score was something like 42-7 despite a close first half. This year we have them at home and unless it has something to do with wanting homecoming earlier in the season then i don't know why we don't ride the floats to manassas anymore.