Rankings Week 5

mjuhb

AAA

To be Honest i don't think there is a #1 team

much less a top 10 team because i think there is alot of bad soccer going around

if i had to start the rankings at a # it would be 12 because their is no 1-11 right now

D2

1 St Agnes

2 Baylor

3 Brentwood Academy

4 BGA

5 ECS

6 GPS

7 Father Ryan

8 JP2

9 Hutchison

10 Knox Webb

AA/A

1 Notre Dame

2 FRA

3 CCS

4 USJ

5 CAK

6 David Lipscomb

7 Grace

8 CPA

9 Elizabethton

10 Montgomery Central

11 JCS

12 Madison Academic

13 Station Camp

14 Mcnairy Co

15 Hixson

16 Covington

17 Sweetwater

18 Gatlinburg

19 Fairview

20 Alcoa

Edited by mjuhb

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No AAA rankings. If you are going to attempt to issue a ranking with any credibility, then issue it based on performance, strength of schedule or something else that is measurable. Try not to confuse parity with poor soccer. The midstate AAA teams Brentwood and Franklin played McDonogh (No. 16 NSCCA) this weekend with Frankin tying them at 0-0 and Brentwood losing 0-1. This is not poor soccer. Surely there must be a AAA ranking of teams 1 to 11.

No AAA rankings. If you are going to attempt to issue a ranking with any credibility, then issue it based on performance, strength of schedule or something else that is measurable. Try not to confuse parity with poor soccer. The midstate AAA teams Brentwood and Franklin played McDonogh (No. 16 NSCCA) this weekend with Frankin tying them at 0-0 and Brentwood losing 0-1. This is not poor soccer. Surely there must be a AAA ranking of teams 1 to 11.

There is nothing more meaningless than "NATIONAL RANKINGS" in high school soccer, especially this early in the season. The fact that 2 of the midstates best AAA teams were shut out by McDonogh isn't exactly something to be proud of. I would have to agree that there are no "really good" AAA teams. I certainly wouldn't call it "bad soccer" but the current midstate teams, at all levels, aren't as talented as teams in the past. I'd still like to see a AAA ranking, even if there are big changes week to week. Remember, these rankings are suppose to be informed entertainment, not gospel!

There is nothing more meaningless than "NATIONAL RANKINGS" in high school soccer, especially this early in the season. The fact that 2 of the midstates best AAA teams were shut out by McDonogh isn't exactly something to be proud of. I would have to agree that there are no "really good" AAA teams. I certainly wouldn't call it "bad soccer" but the current midstate teams, at all levels, aren't as talented as teams in the past. I'd still like to see a AAA ranking, even if there are big changes week to week. Remember, these rankings are suppose to be informed entertainment, not gospel!

The idea that there are no really good teams in AAA is probably correct. I have been able to see most of them play this year and none of them are terrific teams. Maybe "good teams" but not certainly not terrific ones. Strength of schedule has to count for something. Oak Ridge was 8-0 coming into the weekend. They got beaten three times. There are probably five or six teams in AAA that would win the state title this year. Certainly Brentwood and Franklin. Perhaps Siegel ( might be a stretch) Collierville or Houston ( but would need the stars to line up right). I don't believe there are many others. Time will tell. It will come down to who is playing well at the end of Oct. Best team doesn't always win. Collierville certainly wasn't the best team last year.

The idea that there are no really good teams in AAA is probably correct. I have been able to see most of them play this year and none of them are terrific teams. Maybe "good teams" but not certainly not terrific ones. Strength of schedule has to count for something. Oak Ridge was 8-0 coming into the weekend. They got beaten three times. There are probably five or six teams in AAA that would win the state title this year. Certainly Brentwood and Franklin. Perhaps Siegel ( might be a stretch) Collierville or Houston ( but would need the stars to line up right). I don't believe there are many others. Time will tell. It will come down to who is playing well at the end of Oct. Best team doesn't always win. Collierville certainly wasn't the best team last year.

Who was the best team ? Collierville looked pretty good to me last year .

I wouldn't count Franklin and Brentwood as locks to even make the state. If you don't think Centennial or Independence can't beat them in the district or Hendersonville can't beat them in the substate you may be in for a big supprise. I would say their are more than 5 or 6 possiblities. It will all depend on which teams are healthy.

At least they played a team like McDonogh. You can't beat em unless you play em, and even then you may not win, but it is good for soccer here to have teams like McDonogh come in and play.

Poor soccer or parity - however you describe it - I think it makes for a more exciting season. Rather than 1-2 dominant teams there is about 12 -13 out there all on a somewhat equal level and it seems any one of them could win it all. It gets boring real fast when you know early in the season who is #1.

Edited by soccer67

As most of you realize, a lot of things can influence the result of a single match. The teams that are well-coached, conditioned, with a good distribution of talent will advance till the final game...year after year.

The weekly poll is for entertainment. MJUB really does an incredible job every week. No one has an opportunity to see every team play every game, let alone in other states. Think about it.