Refereeing, Coaching and Injuries in Women's Soccer

hamlet7478

the lack of knowledge of soccer by referees, is what is hurting the game of soccer in high school competition.

I agree, especially as it relates to enforcing the rules. Inconsistent and ignorant

are at a minimum the best description I can give.

I have had numerous players taken down from behind with slide tackle........never

a card........the rules state that a red card should be given.

Very few referees are ever held accountable. I am a proponent of allowing coaches to complete an assessment report on the referees performance in a match.

Very few referees treat the players and or the coaches with a basic level of respect, let alone the rules of the game.

Referees are indeed changing the nature of the game with their ignorance and apathy.

The good ole boys are running off good young referees that have experience in the game. Wise up guys. You are the reason that more young people do not

ref games.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardball- In all fairness, sir (or ma'm) you are the reason we can't get ref's.

Once a week, I work with a ref that has blocked and refuses to do particular schools because the coach keeps up a monologue instantly reviewing every call or non-call on the pitch. I absolutely agree, fill out an evaluation AFTER the match, mail it to the assigner or district chair and review. In exchange, sit down at best or at worst, coach your team and stop calling the match. If you have 11 strong willed, creative 14-17 yr olds that daily are witness to the disrespect shown referees by their own coach, then they adopt that attitude.

Hardball, with respect to tackles from behind. I believe that the rules call for a mandatory red card ONLY if the tackle (regardless of slide tackle or other type) is to stop an obvious scoring situation, such as breakaway. So if the slide tackle is from behind in the midfield or other area of the field of play, it may be a yellow or just a foul depending upon the referees view of the play and it's severity.

Hardball, with respect to tackles from behind. I believe that the rules call for a mandatory red card ONLY if the tackle (regardless of slide tackle or other type) is to stop an obvious scoring situation, such as breakaway. So if the slide tackle is from behind in the midfield or other area of the field of play, it may be a yellow or just a foul depending upon the referees view of the play and it's severity.

I think the point that Hardball was trying to make, and you acknowledge is that with such a potential danger, it should be something besides "play on". I have seen it numerous times this season with the "play on" philosophy. One ACL, one high ankle sprain, one broke foot, but "play on".

I hear you keeperfan. I think that a primary rolle of a ref is to ensure player safety, within the rules.

I really respect a ref that communicates with the players during the course of a game as to why calls are made, to calm things down, etc. I know of no sport that puts as much discretionary power on a referee on the actions to take. The FIFA Laws of the Game are very basic in the nature of calls. The ref must then make decsions based upon intent, severity, dangerous nature, etc. It seems that you rarely see it and the fans are almost always confused when it happens but: I really respect a ref that is in good enough control to allow "play on" to determine advantage, then if that advantage does not develop within an appropriate time frame to come back and call that foul. I hate to see advantage lost to an attacking team to call a foul against the defending squad.

It would do all fans, players and coaches a lot of good to read "FIFAs Laws of the Game" to better understand the true rules and the way that they are written. It's a tough game to call and many fans know the rules only through bad information from others. The rules are easy to find by googling "FIFA Laws of the Game". Maybe it would even help the fans to understand offsides...LOL...well maybe not.

A tackle from behind can very easily be a red based on intent and/or recklessness. At least it should be consistently viewed as a yellow. The offensive player can not protect themselves from what they can't see.

A few years ago FIFA officials were carding any tackle from behind, trying to eliminate some of the dangerous plays that were putting some of the stars (Ronaldo) out of the game. Tn. officials don't even think about protecting the offensive player from dangerous play.

Cakes, I agree a tackle from behind can be a red. As you state based upon intent and/or sevrity. As I also said earlier. Play from behind is dangerous and should be dealt with aprropriately, but is it really that much more dangerous for a slide tackle from behind that gets all ball than it is for a player to push an attacker to the ground from the back with both hands. May be more spectacular, but the end result is likely to be the same.

But, I do disagree with your blanket statement that TN officials do not even try to protect an offensive player. I just don't think that is true. I've seen too many games to buy that. I think the refs basically do the best they can.

Are all refs in TN great...absolutly not...are all players in TN great...absolutly not...do all players/coaches know the rules...nope.

I really don't think there are any refs out there that don't care if players are injured. It's always tragic, but it happens. The refs try to protect players, within the rules. As was said earlier experience is the key for good refereeing. Inexperienced refs often get in over their heads. From my perspective it sure isn't worth getting yelled at by people that don't know what they are talking about for 1.5 hours for $50.

Cakes, I agree a tackle from behind can be a red. As you state based upon intent and/or sevrity. As I also said earlier. Play from behind is dangerous and should be dealt with aprropriately, but is it really that much more dangerous for a slide tackle from behind that gets all ball than it is for a player to push an attacker to the ground from the back with both hands. May be more spectacular, but the end result is likely to be the same.

But, I do disagree with your blanket statement that TN officials do not even try to protect an offensive player. I just don't think that is true. I've seen too many games to buy that. I think the refs basically do the best they can.

Are all refs in TN great...absolutly not...are all players in TN great...absolutly not...do all players/coaches know the rules...nope.

I really don't think there are any refs out there that don't care if players are injured. It's always tragic, but it happens. The refs try to protect players, within the rules. As was said earlier experience is the key for good refereeing. Inexperienced refs often get in over their heads. From my perspective it sure isn't worth getting yelled at by people that don't know what they are talking about for 1.5 hours for $50.

Absolutely. I don't ref and never will. I totally agree with you.

But what I said was that the officials don't think about protecting the offensive player. What I mean is that they will continually allow dangerous play from the same offenders whether it's girls or boys. That means that the offender can get several whacks in before they have to fear a yellow or red. That shouldn't be.

Everyone should know and expect a card on a reckless play from behind even if it's in the first minute. The Tn. officials won't call a game this way. Therefore , the offensive player will get hit several times. Maybe in the 2nd half will there be some cards. If it's cardable in the 2nd half , why not the first 5 minutes ?

Certainly pushing someone down from behind with two hands should be a card but why would someone slide someone from behind ? Regardless of intent, it can be a very dangerous play.

Generally, I see games get out of hand before the cards come out. Fouls (violent) from behind should be carded early in the game. They are not and that's why I say that officials (general statement) don't consider protection of the offensive player until the 2nd half. I am not saying that they want someone to get hurt, or that they have a job that I could do better.

I don't know what the answer is exactly.