Wristbands over elbows?

cherries

If you would bother to read the rule book, you would find that sweatbands, (wristbands as you call them) are allowed on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow. Rule 1-5-3, k. Most officials are very lenient (sp) when it comes to this rule and the towel rule, but if they have them all the way up the arm and those skinny tight ones that they place around the bicep, then those usually must go. They are also not allowing the rubber wrist bands that everyone seems to be wearing. It is the coach's responsibility to see that his players do not wear illegal equipment after he answers the legality question before the game.

that's a bogus rule what's the point in it

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a certified athletic trainer. I have been doing this job for 20 years. During this time, I have had the opportunity to work with all levels of the game from pee-wee's all the way to the NFL. And the one thing that I have learned, is that it's all about image. Whatever looks "cool" in the NFL, immediately is copied by the college athletes. From there.....you guessed it....the HS kids have to do it.

Michael Jordan wearing the sweat-band around his knee. What's the purpose? But it looked "cool" and was quickly copied by college/HS players.

Reggie Bush in his Subway commercial. He's wearing an eye-black patch with the number 619 written in a silver marker on the patch. I was covering a freshman game tonight and found a black eye patch on the ground from last weeks game, with the number 619 written on it.....in a silver marker. Guess somebody wanted to look "cool"

Eyeshields. Why??? I understand the reason for some people wearing them, but now a lot of college players are wearing them, and many HS kids want to wear them as well. Once again....WHY??? Is it to look "cool"? There are some medical reasons why some athletes need to wear them, but what about the kids that stand on the sideline and never even get in???? On a sidenote, I always get a big laugh when these guys want to take their eyeshields off because of rain, or humid conditions are causing them to fog up.

Wristbands on the elbow? No purpose really, except for a center snapping the ball to the QB. But it looks "cool", so everybody wants to do it. Even the waterboys!!!

Rubber wristbands?? Once again....no purpose....but it looks "Cool". As far as "snapping a finger" that was mentioned in a previous post.....I agree, but the bones in a finger are a lot stronger than those wrist bands.

If there is a medical necessity to wear something that is non-conforming to the standard team uniform, then there should be a note from an MD stating the purpose.

I'm not bashing athletes of any level (except for T.O.), but the desire to stand-out separately from your teammates irritates me at times.

Thank You!

I have had to have some therapy due to problems with pain in my elbow. The symptoms I had were similar to tennis elbow, although I don't play tennis, and a band that is placed above the elbow was recommended to help with the pain and movement.

Found this quote online from an elbow band supplier:

Elbow/Wrist Support is a multi-use, fully adjustable support for use on the elbow or the wrist. When worn on the upper forearm, the support provides a customized level of compression designed to relieve or prevent pain associated with common elbow injuries such as Tennis and Golfer's Elbow.

I wonder if some of these players are using these for this reason.....if so, they do help with the pain and gives you more flexability. If they are just to be cool, well then, whatever.

From a Mom, not a football player.

When I was playing softball I had a horrible case of tennis elbow, my orthopedic surgeon gave me what was called a compression band to put right above my elbow on my bicep. It helped relieve the pressure on my elbow and was very helpful when throwing or batting. I guess softball may be a little different considering everyone throws the ball or bats, but I can see the benefit especially if worn by a QB with tennis elbow or something similar. Really for anyone else they don't do much.

I played center and I wore one on my right forearm and just to balance it out I wore one on my left arm too. Neither one did a single thing towards keeping the sweat off my hands. The entire starting O-Line wore them. We all also taped our wrists. While that little gesture did help prevent injuries, we also found it to be a fine oppertunity to write some choice phreses on our tape (Watch "Dazed and Confused" and read whats on Ben Afflecks paddle, thats what we wrote). In a way doing this before a game on the bus or in the locker room got us focused and ready to play. I dont think its a bad thing if a player wears a wristband or the Neoprene sleeves or anything like that, as long as he doesnt get carried away and doesnt look like an UnderArmor billboard. I mean if your that destracted by what a player is wearin then the game must not be good enough to watch. And they dont pose any medical threat to any player whatsoever. If you are gettin hurt by wristbands then you should find another sport besides football.

The Army comparison is an accurate one, your uniform is a symbol. The uniform symbolizes unity, oneness, otherwise why wear one at all? That's why drill instructors jump in soldier's throats for not having their uniform on properly. It matters, it is a symbol, and sports teams seek to model that same military unity on a much less-important scale, but it's the same motivation behind it all noneltheless.

True, everyone in the army wears the same UNIFORM. Some of the soldiers, however have tattoos. The wristbands really arent much different in concept. Its not like the players are wearin a different type of uniform or a different color, they all wear the exact same UNIFORM.