Independence

lostfan

That is good to see...

Ravenwood is looking forward to this matchup and must have a win against IHS and DC to stay in playoff contention. IHS dominated RHS in 7v7 during the summer, now lets see what happens with a blitzing defense. If Indy can run the district table (as we did last year) then the respect will follow. I also think it takes a bit of luck to win out in our district...a call here, a turnover, etc.

Raptor Fan

Don't know if i agree with the luck thing i think to run the table it takes alot of heart you have to want it more than anyone else ravenwood showed alot of heart last year the same heart indy is showing this year they are always hungry for a win good luck raptors.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if i agree with the luck thing i think to run the table it takes alot of heart you have to want it more than anyone else ravenwood showed alot of heart last year the same heart indy is showing this year they are always hungry for a win good luck raptors.

You must have missed the two Franklin games last year... Franklin had lots of heart and hunger but lost both games due to "good fortune". Most championship teams in any sport will tell you that "luck" plays a role. Lucky to have no injuries to key starters, etc. etc. Your comment about heart and desire is way overused. Lots of guys and girls who play sports have plenty of heart and never play on a winning team.

You must have missed the two Franklin games last year... Franklin had lots of heart and hunger but lost both games due to "good fortune". Most championship teams in any sport will tell you that "luck" plays a role. Lucky to have no injuries to key starters, etc. etc. Your comment about heart and desire is way overused. Lots of guys and girls who play sports have plenty of heart and never play on a winning team.

I think the term "luck" is overused. The ball is pointed to it bounces funny sometimes, is it luck that it bounces your way? Good team make their own luck. They practice the small stuff so when it happens the kids know how to react. Most of the time in a closely matched game it comes down to coaching. In the 2 games last year against Ravenwood last year, Franklin got outcoached in my opinion. That is the biggest thing that concerns me about Ravenwood this year is that Coach Rector is one heckuva coach. That's not luck.

I think the term "luck" is overused. The ball is pointed to it bounces funny sometimes, is it luck that it bounces your way? Good team make their own luck. They practice the small stuff so when it happens the kids know how to react. Most of the time in a closely matched game it comes down to coaching. In the 2 games last year against Ravenwood last year, Franklin got outcoached in my opinion. That is the biggest thing that concerns me about Ravenwood this year is that Coach Rector is one heckuva coach. That's not luck.

Don't disagree with you at all...But, we have all seen many instances in sports where a well-prepared, well-coached team has an event take place that they had no impact on. I can name hundreds from the years I've been involved in sports.

Rector is a heckuva coach but the ball didn't "bounce Ravenwood's way" against both BA (missed extra point, failed two point conversion) or Brentwood (missed extra point) this year(bad luck? bad coaching?). Those plays and calls did go their way last year (better players? better coaching?).

This region is annually one of the toughest 5A's in the state. There are typically 4 to 5 teams that rank up as some of the state's best each year. While beating Franklin is clearly a big victory, it has to be repeated a few more times to be considered champion. Then, it has to be repeated year after year with a different group of players to be considered a winning program.

Indy is using the same game plan Ravenwood did the last few years (and that Centennial failed to capitalize on) in playing youngsters and waiting for them to grow up. Good fortune plays a part- seriously, did Indy PLAN on Cordell transferring? Did they count on Franklin's QB getting dinged up? Luck plays a part in how games turn out- a slip here, a bounce there, the weather, things you can't prepare or scheme for. Scheduling plays a big part- Dickson County for a number of years looked good, and then had Ravenwood, Franklin, and Brentwood to finish off the season and saw their season crash and burn. Injuries are a HUGE factor in how teams ultimately do- PARTICULARLY in the playoffs. Strange ref's will play a part in this time of the season.

Maybe this is Indy's year to go far. Maybe more games will tell the story. Maybe they're catching the region in a transition year. You won't know until it's over.

But also rest assured, that next year, things will be different for everyone. You can't count on anything but the next game.

Coaching and execution did not get Ravenwood the win in the playoffs last year against Franklin. Yes they haf to be well coached during the game to be in position, however - poor execution is what allowed Ravenwood a 3rd try at the onside kick, which they finally executed. One of the few high school rules that allows a team to make a mistake and try again!

Yes team's create some of their own good fortune - but many times it is the unforced mistakes (15 to 18 year olds) made by your oposition that create a big year for a team.

Repeating a winning formula over two and three years is the true measure of a "Program" arriving, anything short is great effort - good fortune - and the strange bounces the oblong ball makes!