The end for Ravenwood?

preds

I see a little history lesson is required here!

It all started with Coach Brian Rector before the season started in 2005. He asked his team to believe in him, the coaches, and each other. If they did, the team while have no doubts regardless of the situation. Coach Rector spoke of this during the QB club with the parents.

During the second round 2005 playoffs with Franklin, the Raptors were down 14 to 7 late in the fourth quarter. Things were looking a little bleak for the home team. Franklin was putting up a real fight and clock was running late into the fourth quarter. Ravenwood defense got the ball back to put the offense back on the field. During this time, two well know football moms in the QB club stood up and were yelling “WE BELIEVE!”. As they kept up with the chant, others joined in and before you know it, other people sitting in our section joined the chant.

Well, the rest is history. Ravenwood moved the ball downfield and score the touchdown to move with one extra point kick to tie the game. Our kicker has been good all year but not this time, the extra point kick went wide, leaving the score at 14 to 13 with less than two minutes to play. The Franklin crowd across the way was cheering loudly while our side went dead quite. Dreams of going to the next playoff round were looking real bleak.

With less than two minutes remaining and down by one point, what are you going to do? The only thing you can do, an onside kick. Franklin new it was coming as the Ravenwood coaches prep their players to stay confident, this game isn’t over! The two moms previously mention stood up and started yelling “WE BELIEVE!”. Others in our section joined in chant while the onside kick was started by Ravenwood.

The football is onside kick to Franklin short side of the field but out comes the yellow flag, OFF SIDES, five yard penalty. The referee moves the ball back on the 35. The two moms starts the “WE BELIEVE!” chant again, other join. The ball is onside kicked over to the Franklin side of the field but the ref’s flag comes out again, OFF SIDES, five yard penalty, move the ball back to the 30 yard line. Now this is getting to be too much, the anxiety of the moment couldn’t be more intense for both teams.

Coach Rector calls a time out to discuss the situation with his team. The “WE BELIEVE!” chant starts back up during the time out. The players go back out on the field but an adjustment was made to alignment of the players. This was not picked up by the Franklin coaches or players. The ball was kicked but in the opposite direction of the Franklin alignment. After the ball traveled past the forty yard line, a Franklin player tried to jump on the ball but it was too late, three Ravenwood players was their to scoop up the ball, Ravenwood recovers at the 42 with 58 yards to go.

Ravenwood drives the ball down the field within reach of the ten yard line and fourth down, with little time remaining. Coach Rector sends the field goal team on the field while Franklin tries to ice the kicker with timeouts. Again, the “WE BELIEVE!” chant gets rolling and the rest is history. The field goal is good. Ravenwood goes up 16 to 14 over Franklin and wins the game.

The onsite kick and driving down the field for the winning field goal was a defining moment for Ravenwood Football that propel them into wining the 2005 Class 5A Championship. Thus, the motto of “WE BELIEVE!” continued through the championship game into this year and through the playoffs. It has become the moniker of the Raptor Nation.

It is something special. Stickers have been produced. Yard signs have been put up allover the Brentwood and Cool Springs area. Homes and yards are decorated with the Motto. Everywhere you go throughout the local neighborhood, the signs are seen. In fact, the school has gotten complaints from the people thinking it was a religious statement.

Smyrna experience this first hand this year when the Raptors were down in the fourth quarter, yet came back to win. It was loud and clear – “WE BELIEVE!”.

It was written up the front page on the Tennessean sport section after the Antioch win in big capital letters. BELIEVE IT! The paper explained the loud unison voice of the Raptor Nation in the chorus of “WE BELIEVE!” during the fourth quarter of the game.

Raptor Nation slogan, “WE BELIEVE!” is a team statement, enforced by the belief in the team by the players, coaches, students, teachers, administrators, parents, fans, community, and each other. :usa:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance to win it all again? Probably not. I can see them winning out and winning a playoff game or 2. They have played a pretty tough schedule so far and it's not like they are in 4A where the same team wins every year. No team that is now in 5A has ever repeated as state champion.

O.K, so maybe they'll win more than 2 playoff games.

O.K, so maybe they'll win more than 2 playoff games.

Cheers to you Mikey for owning up to your prediction. It is rare for someone to come back and say, "I missed this one". Those close to the program knew what we had as a group of players/coaches but never what to expect week-to-week. This was a great team effort to win three playoff games(on the road) but still want to be able to compete for the gold ball for the second year in a row. Wish us luck in winning "two more"...

Cheers to you Mikey for owning up to your prediction. It is rare for someone to come back and say, "I missed this one". Those close to the program knew what we had as a group of players/coaches but never what to expect week-to-week. This was a great team effort to win three playoff games(on the road) but still want to be able to compete for the gold ball for the second year in a row. Wish us luck in winning "two more"...

I was wrong though in one thing. I predicted them to win out and they lost to Dickson County.

Any chance to win it all again? Probably not. I can see them winning out and winning a playoff game or 2. They have played a pretty tough schedule so far and it's not like they are in 4A where the same team wins every year. No team that is now in 5A has ever repeated as state champion.

Ok, I said they probably would not win it all. That means I did give them a chance to repeat. Maybe if more schools up in my neck of the woods would pay attention to their schedule, we'd have some shiny gold balls in Northeast Tennessee.