7AA

glover

I have seen this girl play and agree that she will be a dominant force. However, her impact is being drastically over-hyped, and here is why. This district is full of teams that love to press and run the fast break. Smith Co. is a team that, in the past, has loved to run up and down the floor at break-neck speed. The big girl will not be able to keep up with a team like Upperman, who has five girls who can run the floor and press all day. She will tire quickly and that will negate a lot of her height advantage. Smith Co. will have to overhaul their style of play in order to get the girl involved, especially since they tried to run 99% of their offense through her over the summer. They will have to become a half court team, something that requires a lot of level-headed leadership, which I am not convinced they have. And lastly, she is still going to be a freshman, which means she is going to pick up silly fouls on both sides of the ball and get frustrated quicker than most.

This is Upperman's district to lose this year (by the way, they have a 6'3" center of their own if I am not mistaken... and they hit 10+ threes a game, something the big girl will have no power to stop). Yes, Smith Co. will be very competitive, but this will not be the year for them. Give them a year to develop their center and generate good leadership. I'll jump on the wagon in 07-08.

You are right about alot of what you have said here. I'm at the gym alot, and I see the girls practice some. The big girl perhaps maybe over-hyped, but she is still really tough. You won't be able to play inside, but as for the press, I'm not sure what they'll do. We prolly aren't as quick as Upperman, but we are conditioned well. Erica Gibbs is probably the teams leader, she has improved alot over the summer from what I've heard.

The downfall is though, I just don't think the ball handling is there to beat Upperman.

Edited by Z King of D Swing

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right about alot of what you have said here. I'm at the gym alot, and I see the girls practice some. The big girl perhaps maybe over-hyped, but she is still really tough. You won't be able to play inside, but as for the press, I'm not sure what they'll do. We prolly aren't as quick as Upperman, but we are conditioned well. Erica Gibbs is probably the teams leader, she has improved alot over the summer from what I've heard.

The downfall is though, I just don't think the ball handling is there to beat Upperman.

I agree with that you said. Gibbs is the most improved player. Last year she wouldn't even shoot the ball. Now she is a main role player. Ball handling does need to get better. Massey and Oldham have improved. But if they want to beat Upperman they need to keep working.

Yes Smith Co. did play Harpeth this summer at Portland play day. It was a good game from what I heard. Smith only lost by 3 and it was due to a turnover at the end of the game. They play each other again in a week or so I think at another play day. Should be interesting to see the turn out.

I saw this game, and, yes, it was very good. Smith Co. jumped out in front by a good amount early, thanks to the big girl and Harpeth's inability to get into a flow offensively. Harpeth, though, is one of those teams that just chooses when they want to beat you, and in the second half, they chose to take over. They defended inside much better, thanks in part to the big girl wearing down, and the trio of Mendenhall, Richardson, and Flippo were just too much. Just remembering this game is getting me excited for the one coming up!

• 2 weeks later...

The Smith County girls scrimmaged Clarkrange today. They looked pretty good at times, especially early. Clarhrange fell behind early by about 14 or 16, and played pretty good to come back and win by about 12. Clarkrange began pressing in the second half, and gave SC guards a pretty rough time. SC didnt handle the ball well, and it cost them. The big girl played pretty good, Clarkrange took it at her, and she blocked quite a bit of shots, and rebounded good to. Clarkrange played ok defense on her, about as good as they could. She has pretty good touch and a nice shot for someone of her size, and ran the floor pretty good. It was a pretty good game to watch.

As far as region tourney goes, I think 7AA should probably sweep it shouldn't they? Or atleast go 3-1. I can't imagine Smith, LA, or Upperman losing. I don't know much about 8AA girls. What are some thoughts about this.

The region will still belong to 7AA this year. There will be no sweep though. White House returned everything and, should they win the district like I expect, they should have no trouble with the four seed. Upperman has no equal this year in region, so I see them winning it. LA and Smith Co. will be very good, though I think they are more beatable this year because of matchups. No one in 8AA could stop Smith Co. because none of them could matchup with Hembree. Now that Smith Co. will not have that same quickness, it will even out the guard matchups. Yes, they have the new post, but 8AA is usually better in the post than at the guard, and vice versa for 7AA (Brown from York was an anomaly and was not included in this study). Stopping LA means stopping penetration because Matthews is too good at finding open teammates on her way to the basket. Slow her and you have a chance.

From 8AA, White House is obvious. Portland will be a sleeper from this district, as they have developed about 5 deadly outside shooters over the summer. DCA will be solid and depending on the matchup could advance. I will say the region goes 2-2, though 3-1 for 7AA is easily possible. Let's say Upperman, Smith, White House, Portland.

The Smith County girls scrimmaged Clarkrange today. They looked pretty good at times, especially early. Clarhrange fell behind early by about 14 or 16, and played pretty good to come back and win by about 12. Clarkrange began pressing in the second half, and gave SC guards a pretty rough time. SC didnt handle the ball well, and it cost them. The big girl played pretty good, Clarkrange took it at her, and she blocked quite a bit of shots, and rebounded good to. Clarkrange played ok defense on her, about as good as they could. She has pretty good touch and a nice shot for someone of her size, and ran the floor pretty good. It was a pretty good game to watch.

LA scrimmaged Clarkrange Thursday and beat then by around 30. So I think everyone needs to quit underestimating LA and quit putting them under Smith County.

She may wear black and gold now.... but she is a product of Jim Brown... she knows how to shoot! To bad she will never reach her potential now... :thumb:

LA scrimmaged Clarkrange Thursday and beat then by around 30. So I think everyone needs to quit underestimating LA and quit putting them under Smith County.

Smith County substituted alot in the game. Thats when Clarkrange came from behind. Not really worried about a scrimmige loss. Nobody is underestimating LA. Everyone knows LA will be good. We are just stating what we have witnessed. If you want to comment on LA please do. I would like to know alittle more about this region. Great job Girls!!! I look forward to seeing you play this year.