Bradley Central Problems

hiway58

I'm sure all these young men will be going through the legal process and their outcome is uncertain. I know they have been dismissed from Bradley's wrestling team but I wonder what their status is as students at Bradley. I've heard that some have already transferred to a different school and I've heard that some may even move to another community. Would they be allowed to wrestle for their new schools? Are there rules that would allow or prevent them from this?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they be allowed to wrestle for their new schools? Are there rules that would allow or prevent them from this?

If wrestling keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, then I hope they do find another school that will allow them to compete. Their life shouldn't be ended because of a single mistake.

If wrestling keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, then I hope they do find another school that will allow them to compete. Their life shouldn't be ended because of a single mistake.

I agree with you.

These kids/young men have been dismissed from a very, very good wrestling program and that is punishment by itself. Especially when the acts they are accused of had (from my knowledge anyway) nothing to do with the team or the school. Judgement has been passed and sentence has been administered.

So, if these parents try to keep their boys involved in a program (away from the dismissed team) then so be it, imo.

We should be concerned for their future, and almost everyone on this site agrees that wrestling builds character. Again, just my opinion.

I've heard that some have already transferred to a different school and I've heard that some may even move to another community. Would they be allowed to wrestle for their new schools? Are there rules that would allow or prevent them from this?

According to the TSSAA handbook, page 15, Article 13, item d:

Section 13. Ineligible Transfer Students.

The following transfer students are ineligible for a period of twelve months from the student's last participation date (these provisions do not apply to students who have no athletic record for the previous or current school year):

d. If a student has satisfied all other requirements for eligibility but was under discipline at his/her former school, the student shall be ineligible at the new school for twelve months or until the disciplinary charges have been removed, whichever is less.

The following transfer students are ineligible for a period of twelve months from the student's last participation date (these provisions do not apply to students who have no athletic record for the previous or current school year):

d. If a student has satisfied all other requirements for eligibility but was under discipline at his/her former school, the student shall be ineligible at the new school for twelve months or until the disciplinary charges have been removed, whichever is less.

I guess you would have to define being under discipline, when you take into account they are no longer on the team, and I have not heard they were suspended from the team. So the team no longer holds sway over their behavior. Or is that incorrect? I really am not so sure on this one.

If they are under discipline only by the wrestling team and were not disciplined by the school then would they be eligible to wrestle on another team?

I really don't know how this rule is applied. What I do know is that about 5 years ago a girl from Kirby was kicked off the basketball team, the family moved from the Kirby district to another disctrict, but she was ruled ineligible because she was "under discipline" by being removed from the team. I don't have the specifics of why she was under discipline. In this case it was quite obvious that she moved for athletic reasons only.

One could argue that if they relocate the only reason was they were no longer allowed to participate at Bradley and wanted to compete somewhere else. The TSSAA is really. really, really good at sniffing out situations such as this.

I really don't know how this rule is applied. What I do know is that about 5 years ago a girl from Kirby was kicked off the basketball team, the family moved from the Kirby district to another disctrict, but she was ruled ineligible because she was "under discipline" by being removed from the team. I don't have the specifics of why she was under discipline. In this case it was quite obvious that she moved for athletic reasons only.

One could argue that if they relocate the only reason was they were no longer allowed to participate at Bradley and wanted to compete somewhere else. The TSSAA is really. really, really good at sniffing out situations such as this.

I believe there may have been a similar situation regarding this type of situation, and the wreslter was allowed to join another schools team. Although, it may have been approved by the school board or AD's at each school. I am not exactly sure.